• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese candy

SteveW

I've never seen black sesame bars with cumin! I'd get one.

I much prefer purely sweetened preserved fruit to the kind with salt and other stuff like licorice, hot pepper, saccharine, artificial color . . .

In the mid 70s, I used to get all manner of sweetened preserved Chinese fruits at the first multi-level department store (2 stories) in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia. My favorites were Pinguofu (apples), cherries, and pears. I can't find any of those here, and even in China, they were hard to find in 1987 and harder to find now.

Michael aka "Pan"

I know the more-salty-than-sweet, dried, wrinkly plums. They last in the mouth for hours!

But my absolute favorite are the more-sweet-than-salty, moist, syrupy plums that are typically sold in small bags, not individually wrapped or anything. I can't decide which I like better, the red ones that are glossy and almost translucent and slightly crisp, or the almost black, opaque, wrinkled ones that are soft. It's almost a game for me, to see how long I can suck on one until I can't resist and have to bite; then, the hit of sweet and savory flavor just knocks you out.

I like the soft black one that is wrapped first in plastic then in paper. Anything preserved or dried is usually good but I just don't like the black liquource flavour little cube thing. They are just so gross..... I love to go to the store in Hong kong where they let you sample everykind of preserved food before buying.

rjwong, browniebaker, and hzrt8w, I've never had preserved plums.  Are they more sweet or savory?

There are many varieties of preserved plums. Some dried and salty, like wah mui. Some moist, fruity and sweet and sour, like chan pei mui. Some with herbs like Gum Cho (sorry, don't know the English name), some with powder sugar sprinkled on top.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Many moons ago, at the China Inn Restaurant in CTDC, after a meal we used to get these hard, little cylindrical shaped, coconut flavored caramel candies. Those were good, too. Haven't seen them for decades.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

In no particular order,

white rabbit candy

haw flakes

those date/walnut squares wrapped in rice paper. Man those would stick to your teeth. :biggrin: but quite yummy.

Although this is about Chinese candy, have any of you tried those Japanese gummys made by Kasugai? They have really intense fruit flavors. Like peach, strawberry, etc. They are like $2 US a bag but you only get like 20 gummies. :huh: Here's what I am talking about:

http://www.japanesesnacks.com/newjs.php?id=139

I also liked those conjac lychee mini-gel cup things but i haven't bought any in a couple of years because I think the US FDA have banned them due to choking hazards with the little ones.

I used to guzzle down mini-jelly cups and then always came down with a splitting headache later. I don't know what was in those things but it wasn't good for you :P.

Does anyone know of the mini gummy pizzas and hotdogs? I think they are made by some Korean company starting with Y. I occasionally sneak a few of those as a treat.

PS: I am a guy.

Does anyone know of the mini gummy pizzas and hotdogs? I think they are made by some Korean company starting with Y. I occasionally sneak a few of those as a treat.

Aaah, I love those - we get them here: Yupi gummies.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I used to guzzle down mini-jelly cups and then always came down with a splitting headache later. I don't know what was in those things but it wasn't good for you :P.

Those were a favourite in our house. They'd come in a big jar. The ones with lycee and mango were the best. They don't come in mini-size now for the reason Shalmanese stated. They come in a cup about 3" x 1/2 inch size. Kids can't pop them now. I have a tiny coffee spoon for my grandson to use.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

When I was small, I chewed on some of these candies that looked like jelly belly beans and ate some that's black in color, it gave me instant headaches. I think it's because those were made with star anise flavor and it's very concentrated. I have been avoiding those candies and certain jelly belly beans too to this day.

Although I'm Filipino, many of my school friends were Chinese; hence, I had a lot of these candies as afterschool treats.

The only candies I haven't seen listed here so far are the strawberry-flavoured lucky candies that come individually wrapped in red and gold foil. Yummy!

When we could still find the mini-sized ones in stores, my husband and I would go through those lychee jelly cups by the bagful. Sadly, it's just not the same now that they're not bite size. :sad:

Swell. Now I've got a craving for haw flakes, Sugus, Botan rice candies and White Rabbit candies. Must resist the temptation to go on an Asian supermarket run tomorrow or our household will be spinning from all that sugar!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Many moons ago, at the China Inn Restaurant in CTDC,  after a meal we used to get these hard, little cylindrical shaped, coconut flavored caramel candies.  Those were good, too.  Haven't seen them for decades.

If these are allowed into the US, I'd be happy to send some to you. BTW, Yetty, have you tried Indonesian Layer Cake (specot) with haw flakes in between the layers? :wub:

About chinese candies, I owe my imperfect set of teeth to the many mug nga tong and ting-ting tongs I consumed waiting for my school bus. I still see it being sold, but I stir my kids away for fear they'll be addicted to it too! Naughty mommy!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

About chinese candies, I owe my imperfect set of teeth to the many mug nga tong

Mug nga tong! Oh. childhood memories!

I still see it being sold, but I stir my kids away for fear they'll be addicted to it too! Naughty mommy!

Does naughty mommy mean that mommy eats all the candy?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ah, Lei See candy. I have some in my Tsuen Hap now for the New Year. And Sugus too. Sadly, no Rabbit Candy.

Does anyone remember the black sticky walnut and date ( I think) candy that was wrapped individually in colored cellophane (Nam Jo Hup Tow)? Or the soft and chewy banana candy sticks in the clear wrapping with red writing? Yum.

Oh, and Yan's coconut candies. I preferred the chewy kind.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

The banana stick candies were almost jello like, but a bit more chewy/substantive in consistency. I remember them as a batonnet-sized treat, and I would take nibbles of it until done. They were quite sticky, sweet and had a clear banana flavor. I don't even know where my mom got them, but always remember them being around when I was a kid in Hong Kong. During the summer she would put them in the fridge. :wub:

Oh good, I'm calling home tonight for the CNY greeting, maybe I'll get the info out of her.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Oh, and Yan's coconut candies.  I preferred the chewy kind.

Thanks a lot. I love the chewy Yan's coconut candies too! Yet another candy to add to my "not to buy" list. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Sartain - more details, please! I've never heard of such a thing and I think I'd love something like that. Oooh.

Hey, remember those Chinese ice pops they'd sell? They were way better than the ones you got at the American grocery store. Tubes of sugary goo that froze into icy sweetness. Yum!

Wow, this thread has brought back so many memories!!! I've OD'd many times on those White Rabbit candies growing up. Also haw flakes, coconut candies, preserved plums, sesame candies, and those Sugus candies that are so popular with Chinese.

• 2 weeks later...

Although this is about Chinese candy, have any of you tried those Japanese gummys made by Kasugai? They have really intense fruit flavors. Like peach, strawberry, etc. They are like $2 US a bag but you only get like 20 gummies.  :huh: Here's what I am talking about:

Kasugai gummies are great. I like the apple and kiwi flavors.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't possibly begin to imagine my sheer surprise and utter delight in finding these childhood favorites, Haw Flakes!

I was at one of my favorite haunts yesterday having a bowl of steaming hot noodle soup with fishballs, when this cute little girl walked by chomping on these. Bug-eyed I dropped my chopsticks and chased after her before she could make it out the door and excitedly asked her where she got them. Her mother looked at me like I was ... well, kinda deranged, but smiled and told me that they were behind the counter and usually got them there on a regular basis. The little girl offered some to me. Sweet thing.

gallery_11814_148_161143.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Spaghetti:

when this cute little girl walked by chomping on these. Bug-eyed I dropped my chopsticks and chased after her before she could make it out the door

Yetti!!! :shock: I'm surprised at you . . . stealing candy from a child! :shock::laugh::laugh:

My kids loved those when they were small. Now, my grandson and great neices and nephews search for them in my treats drawer when they come over. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Inspired by the discussions in this thread, yesterday when I passed through the isles of a local Asian grocery market I grabbed a bag of Big Bunny candies. Unwrapped one, popped it in my mouth, started chewing... Mmmmm, the childhood memories instantly came back. How I used to love this candie. I haven't had one in the last... gosh... must have been almost 30 years. And the best part... you guys are right... the edible wrapping paper.

I looked at the outer wrapping paper and the plastic bag design... nothing had changed from the last time I had them. Did time stand still? Same white/blue/red scheme and same bunny artwork. Is it because good thing stands the test of time? They must have the same design for over 40 years!

I used to love another milk candie. I think they mixed in some crushed roasted peanut or something. That was the best! Not sure if I will ever see it again.

You can't possibly begin to imagine my sheer surprise and utter delight in finding these childhood favorites, Haw Flakes!

I was at one of my favorite haunts yesterday having a bowl of steaming hot noodle soup with fishballs, when this cute little girl walked by chomping on these.  Bug-eyed I dropped my chopsticks and chased after her before she could make it out the door and excitedly asked her where she got them.  Her mother looked at me like I was ... well, kinda deranged, but smiled and told me that they were behind the counter and usually got them there on a regular basis.  The little girl offered some to me.  Sweet thing. 

gallery_11814_148_161143.jpg

I used to chomp these up too! I think haw flakes is supposed to make you "hor wai" (have a good appetite). Oh dear ... that explains a lot since I ate copious amounts of these as a child (not that I needed any help then either) :hmmm: .

^Shiewie, that's brilliant! Actually, I've been having some queasiness and after chomping a few rolls, no more tummy problems. No noticeable increase in appetite, however, they definitely put the sparkle back in my eyes!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti