• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Food Shopping

There is always a feeling of discomfort for me upon entering a grocery store that is not my normal shopping site(s). If I ever stumble into a wormhole to an alternate universe (like Buffalo, NY), I imagine the experience will be similar.

However yesterday I went with a friend into a Lowe's Food here in Raleigh, and was impressed with 1. how many organic offerings there were and 2. how many hispanic themed ingredients were included in the FRESH food area (though I was a little curious as to who or what I would find for sale in the dry good aisle dubbed "Hispanic.").

I was wondering if any of you around the South had picked up a difference in the goods that are being offered in your local grocery stores? Is it a good thing where you live? Or has the quality of ingredients soured?

Also, I was curious as to knowing if any of you used corner markets, local grocers, etc. for your food. I seem to see more of these in smaller towns (relative to Raleigh) than I do in larger areas. Lexington, NC, for example, has a good grocer located basically on the steps of the courthouse.

Finally, I was interested in knowing if there are any other distinguished Southern organic themed grocery store chains besides Earth Fare. Do you find these shopping trips to these places worthwhile?

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

The dry goods in the "Hispanic" area are spices, rice, beans, masa, jarred mole, canned goods like nopales and hominy, cookies, chocolate, and those groovy candles in glasses with religious pictures on them. At least at my local Publix.

The range of Hispanic items at a large grocery here in Atlanta will depend on how predominantly Hispanic the neighborhood here. A good indicator of a large Hispanic population here is whether or not the bakery offers conchas and guava-filled pastries.

Of course, lots of markets here are entirely Hispanic, or a mix of Asian and Hispanic (Buford Highway Farmers Market, Atlanta Farmers Market, Ranch 99).

The influx of foods from elsewhere (Latin America, Asia, India) has had a very positive influence in every possible way: better and larger variety of produce, better and larger variety of meat and seafood, etc.

Whole Foods (aka Whole Wallet) is a "health food" chain that started in Texas and is now seen in much of the U.S.

Can you pee in the ocean?

My experience is dated. My parents retired from north Jersey to Seneca South Carolina in the late '60's and I was a regular visitor to the area through the early 90's.

At first my visits were always preceded with a shopping list from my mother - all the ingrediants she couldn't find at the local supermarkets. Mostly ethnic items like her favorite brand of canned Italian tomatoes and pasta. As more and more Yankees moved in the supermarkets started carrying more and more "northern foods" until eventually there has no need for me to travel with an extra suitcase of food.

I knew it would no longer be an issue when, in the early 80's, I stopped by a small butcher shop to pick up a roast my mother had ordered. There in the display case, along side all manner of pork cuts, was a row of Dietz and Watson scrapple.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The ultimate market in Houston (and Austin I belive) is the Central Market. Anything and everything you could want, in every variety. A little pricey for "everday" food shopping, but a great place to go and spend a Saturday afternoon. Amazing place. www.centralmarket.com

One of the supermarkets in the suburb of Houston I live in not only has the huge amount of typically Latino groceries, but also more types and cuts of meat that are of "soul food" origin, like ox-tails and pig knuckles.

We shop at lot at this store, as the prices are great and they are known for their butcher/meat products. You will not find any "frills" like magazines and books, just groceries, unlike the other chain grocery stores in town.

The area I live in is too suburbanized to have a old-fashioned mom and pop type grocery store, but I do have a carnicera and a little Inidian grocery nearby. The Indian grocery stocks some fresh fruits and vegetables, but nothing that I could not get in the regular store.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Houston area here also. I have seen a huge difference in that past 10 or 15 years. The chain markets are getting a bit better. I even found beef neck bones for stock at the Kroger last week. That was a surprise. Even 10 years ago, it used to be that you really did have to find a carneceria or other small market to get stock makings. The new larger HEBs (owners of the famous Central Market) are expanding the butcher shop and produce selections. Between Fiesta Mart and Hong Kong Market I think you could probably find just about anything. You know that a store is serious about its meat department when you look in the case and a pig's head says howdy. :biggrin: The produce is outstanding at these places, both for price and quality. There are still some local mom & pops but these are usually of the ethnic type. I know that here is a pretty good Indian market here in mass suburbia. We also have a Cajun market. West Houston is particularly blessed with big new Fiestas and Hong Kongs. Now I just wish they would move south. :raz: I gripe a lot about Houston not having a vibrant farmer's market scene. We have a couple of starter's, but once you move outside of the loop your options start to shrink. I really don't care about the organic end of it, but I would like to find more seasonal, locally grown regional varieties of produce, fresh field peas for instance.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

fifi - have you ever been out to the Frobergs market in Alvin? Froberg's Vegetable & Fruit Farm is on County Road 190 (Old Manvel Road) in Brazoria County. From Houston take Hwy 288 south to Hwy 6. Turn left (east) onto Hwy 6 to County Road 149. Turn right (south) onto 149 to County Road 190. Turn left (east) onto 190 and look for the sign. Be very careful crossing the railroad tracks on the Froberg's private drive as there have been multiple fatal accidents there. The 30 acre farm has been operating since 1936. Alfred Froberg,, the patriarch of the farming family, died in June of 2002 at age 74. He gained regional notoriety in the 1950s as the bad guy wrestler "Coon". The matriarch, Joann, made national news when she was stung over 500 times by her honeybees while mowing near them in April of 2001. The then 66 year old woman was in the ICU for 10 days but fully recovered. The farm is about 25 miles from downtown Houston. Call 281-585-3531 for information.

Call before you head out to see what they have. They are my source for fresh black eyed peas.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia