• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New series, new stars for Food Network

Gifted Gourmet

Janet Keeler's article from the St. Petersburg Times

Forget what Jesus would do. What would he eat? Or better yet, would he want to be a Food Network star? He may soon be. In May, the Food Network debuts What Would Jesus Eat?, a special that explores faith-based diet programs.

What Would Jesus Eat? is one of five specials on the network's schedule for spring and summer. There also will be five new series, including Iron Chef America (9 p.m. Sunday) and Food Network Challenge (10 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 13, 20, 27 and March 20), which premiered this month.

Janet Keeler is the Food Editor of the St. Petersburg Times .. details in the article at greater length ...

In your opinion, might this new programming offer something more substantial, even deeper, than the current round of reportedly shallow, meaningless shows now airing round-the-clock? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

In your opinion, might this new programming offer something more substantial, even deeper, than the current round of reportedly shallow, meaningless shows now airing round-the-clock? :rolleyes:

If I had to guess, I would say that this program was prompted by the fact that many Americans cited "morality" as the prime motivator for their candidate choice this past presidential election. TV production companies are nothing if not experts at wetting their finger and sticking it in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

* AB wonders what Budweiser would taste like with one of those...

<AB> . o O (Like shit, still, I should think.)

Feh.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Looks like they've hitched on to the dieting bandwagon and the faith-based (or whatever you'd call it) bandwagon at the same time, thus killing two birds with one stone. They get a point or two for cleverness and opportunism, but I won't be one of their viewers.

Actually, less and less these days, I am one of their viewers. I watched Michael Chiarello on the Fine Living Network last night, making a pannini (sp?) out of cibatta, asparagus, and cambozola. Now there's a man I can worship. Thank Heaven there's already a What Would Michael Eat? program.

I'm interested to see what they do with it. While it can potentially be interesting from a culinary point of view, it can be fascinating (and even somewhat explosive) from a historical and religious point of view. What did Jesus eat? Well, for one thing, I bet he kept kosher. :wink:

Didn't they already do something like this with King Salomon's Feast? A chef and a forensic nutritionist ended up making a meal of roast lamb and bulgar or something to that effect. Somewhat interesting, but if I remember correctly Jesus turned water into wine, so I would assume he ate pretty much whatever he wanted. :laugh:

How about "What Mohammed Didn't Eat"?

A.

Didn't they already do something like this with King Salomon's Feast?  A chef and a forensic nutritionist ended up making a meal of roast lamb and bulgar or something to that effect.  Somewhat interesting, but if I remember correctly Jesus turned water into wine, so I would assume he ate pretty much whatever he wanted. :laugh:

A couple of years back, the archaeologists at the University of Pennsylvania Museum reconstructed a dinner held by a Lydian king (billed as "King Midas' Feast" or something of the sort). A local brewery also produced a sort of barley wine to go along with it; it was pretty good stuff.

Me, I just want the recipe for that whole loaves and fishes dealie; then I'm going into the catering business, baby!

What did Jesus eat? Well, for one thing, I bet he kept kosher.  :wink:

That would make sense historically but I have a feeling that the Food Network won't actually go there, so to speak, cakewalk.

But if it transubstantiated, he'd be in serious trouble
and that would make for television which was almost too ethereal? right, John?? :rolleyes:
Didn't they already do something like this with King Salomon's Feast?
Must have not been as successful as "Unwrapped" though, Daddy A ... :hmmm:
Feh.
Jinmyo, you do go on and on when you are confounded with something brilliant and creative! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

"Faith-based diets?"

Is that like praying to God to lose those pesky pounds?

From what I've seen on friends' refrigerators over the years, that's exactly what it is. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Gauging by those friends' hips, these diets aren't particularly more effective than others.

But don't get me started on dieting gimmicks. The only way to get me to shut up about it is to stuff chocolate in my mouth. :biggrin:

There was a diet book out last year that made a little bit of a splash, including an author-appearance on Good Morning America, it was called something like 'The Maker's Diet'. It was basically a diet where people were supposed to eat like they did in Biblical times - live like Jesus to lose weight! kind of thing. Only problem with it (well, not the only problem) is that people who lived 2000 years ago didn't sit on the couch watching FTV. They walked everywhere and did back-breaking physical labor everyday. If I had to walk three miles round trip to wash my clothes or get water or whatever everyday, on top of farming, lugging firewood, and who knows what else, I'm pretty sure I could give my gym membership. Somehow how I doubt getting more manna into my diet is going to help keep me from going to the next size on the clothes rack.

I've been on the Maker's Diet for years, and it's never helped me lose any weight.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Didn't they already do something like this with King Salomon's Feast?  

A couple of years back, the archaeologists at the University of Pennsylvania Museum reconstructed a dinner held by a Lydian king (billed as "King Midas' Feast" or something of the sort).

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is what was broadcasted on FoodTV Canada--it was the reconstruction of "King Midas' Feast", not King Salomon). It was really interesting, although I couldn't get over how they used manure to fuel the fire (for roasting the goat).

I would be interested in watching "What would Jesus eat?"--is it coming to FoodTV Canada?

Edited by Ling (log)

A couple of years back, the archaeologists at the University of Pennsylvania Museum reconstructed a dinner held by a Lydian king (billed as "King Midas' Feast" or something of the sort).  A local brewery also produced a sort of barley wine to go along with it; it was pretty good stuff.

The feast was inspired by the residues found on dishes and jars in the king's tomb. The feast in question was supposed to be the monarch's funerary dinner, IIRC; the speculation (oops! theory--this is academe we're talking about) was that this particular ruler may have been the "King Midas" of legend, based on the location of the tomb, the time period when the person in the tomb lived, and markers of great wealth and status found at the site.

And "local brewery" above is defined broadly. Last I looked, Lewes, Del. -- home of the Dogfish Head brewery, which the Penn Museum contacted about brewing the beverage -- was beyond the Philadelphia metropolitan area. Dogfish Head had previously brewed a batch of beer for the Museum based on the earliest known beer recipe (about 6,000 years old), which Penn archaeologists uncovered on a dig a few years back

Me, I just want the recipe for that whole loaves and fishes dealie; then I'm going into the catering business, baby!

Need a delivery person? I can walk on water for a small fee. :wink:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Janet Keeler's article from the St. Petersburg Times

Well, since one of the specials slated for this spring is obviously the bastard spawn of a love triangle involving TLC, Food Network and Spike TV, there must be some serious uplift involved.

(I'm referring to "Grill-Gantua," slated for May, which sounds like the Al Roker version of "Monster Garage.")

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3