• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey eGullet Dinner Wrap-up

=Mark

This past Sunday the New Jersey chapter of eGullet had their 2nd group meal.  It was convened at China 46 in Ridgefield, which advertizes authentic Shanghai food.  Having not been to Shanghai I can't really comment other than it was the first time I ever had fish tripe... :wow:

The food was very good, although there were a few texture issues (jellyfish and the afore mentioned fish maws), all in all there was a fabulous four hours of solid non-stop dining!

There are already rumblings over when and where the 3rd NJ event will happen...

Egulleteers in the dining room at China 46

diningroom.jpg

The menu of courses served:

1) An assortment of Five Cold Appetizers, including Spicy Capsicum Cellophane Noodles.

2) Two kinds of hot dumplings: Soup Dumplings (or as they call them, Steamed Little Juicy pork Buns) and Pan Fried Shanghai Buns (which have the texture of steamed buns, but are fried on the bottom, I haven't had these anywere else).

3) Soup: Shanghai Casserole

4) Steam Dungeness Crab over Chow-Fun Noodle w. Minced Garlic (this is not on their regular menu, boy was it good!)

5) Superior Ruby Pork

- A giant pork shoulder with mixed herb simmered for hours. Served very tender as melt in your mouth.

6) Fish Maw & Mixed Seafood Simmered in White Sauce

7) Steamed Whole Fish (last time we had black bass with ginger and scallions)

8) Pepper & Salt Shrimp in Shell (once again the best version of this dish I've ever had!)

9) House Special Sauté, Accompanied w. Baked Sesame Bun

- Sauté chopped firmed to-fu, ground pork and chives, then stuff it into baked sesame bun by yourself. (The sesame buns are like crispy pita pockets, they came with the Ruby Pork too, happy happy joy joy!)

10) Shanghai Treasure - A unique vegetarian dish

- Edamame, tofu sheets cut as noodles, seaweed (Unique isn't the only word to describe this, I'd include delicious and refreshing, too.)

11) Stir-fried Rice Cake

- Rice cake is more like pasta, a little bit thick. They are very tender & smooth. (These were like noodle coins, chewy like thick chow fun. Very good.)

12) Dessert: Sweet Rice Balls, coated with Black Sesame and Peanut, stuffed with Red Bean Paste. And, of course, sliced oranges.

The Kitchen Staff:

chefs.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 1 year later...

This is one of the best eG events we ever had, no question.

Its sad though that China 46 is threatened by the SARS fears now. A year ago that place was doing gangbusters business after its stellar NY Times and Bergen Record reviews.

If you haven't been to this restaurant, GO NOW. Don't let the most serious Chinese restaurant in NJ go under.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i find it odd that no one commented on this.  :unsure:

I just did a double take, I thought you guys had an event behind my back. Until I noticed it was 2002! You're just bringing this up now!? And if I recall, there was a discussion, or do I have less brain cells than I thought? [rhetorical question!] Something about Rosie "borrowing" your wine, or maybe the other way around. I just remember drinking it. Oh, and fantastic meal and great group, though that should be the other way around.

ok. so weather it was delayed reaction or whatever how about a date, a time, a get together?

name it. the NJ board is strong and fun. we'll be there.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

ok. so weather it was  delayed reaction,(tommy)  or a requiem reaction (elyse) how about a date, a time, a get together?

umm..where is it? thanks!

I've just combined a few threads on China 46:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=4364

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

The China 46 gathering and the Mediterranean Manor shindig each had considerable NY eGullet representation as I recall.

I have a mental image of Sandy Levine, her husband, Stefany, Aaron, Yvonne and others walking down a street in Newark toward Penn Station with the "leftover" bottles of portuguese wine

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

it's stronger than ever, i think.

we should start a thread, he said.

Start a thread? Hell, lets schedule another eGullet China 46 event! :cool:

=Mark

tommy, I think you are taking the NYC board into this picture. The NJ folks have been known to whip up an event in under a few weeks...

=Mark

I brought up Finks a month or so ago and was essentially told that there was a lack of room there. I'd like to check out the pickle place too. We could devote a whole day on an NJ culinary road trip! :biggrin:

=Mark

I'l take responsibility for a China 46 get together. Start Pming me with dates. I'm thinking middle to end of June, 15 person, $35-$40 pp. Lets go!

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Double0, I really think it needs to be earlier. We were there for lunch today and it was DEAD. According to the staff last weekend's business was dead as well, I'm not sure how long the restaurant will last at the rate it's going. How about Saturday, June 7? Thats a few days after Rosie gets back from Australia.

I would not be able to make the 7th. A week sooner or later would be OK.

Makes you wish the media would get out there and actively play up the fact that chinese/Asian restaurants should not be avoided as there have been no reported accounts of SARS infection in the US for over a month.

=Mark

Does anybody know for sure that China 46 is in danger of closing?

i don't think anyone has asked to see their books. but from most accounts, business isn't what it used to be. in this business, every little bit helps. and a noticable drop-off in business is never a good sign.

Edited by tommy (log)

Why do we think the drop off in business is because of SARS? Have other NJ Chinese restaurants experienced the same drop off in business? I ask because I have recieved PMs indicating China 46 lost business specifically because of fears of SARS...