• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Bread in the UK

Whilst watching the bread guy at Mohsen in Warwick Road work his magic at dinner last night, cutting, rolling, shaping and baking the fantastic "nan" that is served in the restaurant, I wondered if it might just possibly be the best bread in London. Its so delicious that I would be quite happy if they served nothing else (as it is, their mixed grill of lamb fillet, minced lamb and chicken is fantastic).

So where else is the bread so good that its worth a special trip; be it restaurant, bakery or, heaven forbid, supermarket .

Yep, it's baked on the premises in a wood burning oven (as I had to explain to a friend who wanted to know what "the grey stuff" on it was) It's a sourdough bread made, their first books says, using a starter that's older than the restaurant. There's a recipe in the first book.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

On a saturday, the bread I've had from there tends to be day old.

N. Yard has a broader artisinal selection.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Gail Stephens' mob "Gail Force" have a concenssion selling artisan breads in the works canteen once a week

Some quite startling good breads, including a potato and rosemary bread with a real sourdough tang and a tiger-top pain de mie which is curiously briochily-addictive. Only let-down is the rather bland san fran sourdough - am yet to find a really good version of this in London

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

There are many artisan companys appearing it would appear almost weekly, however a personal favourite would have to be Sally Clarkes, their consistency is second to none and offer a good variety, we have used them now for over 3 years and have not had one single issue with their product or service, which is quite amazing for a London restaurant.

Alex.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

penurious student days gone (not to mention mile end... sigh...), i second the moro and st john bread and wine recommendations. the poilane that neal's yard carries also stands inn the forefront of my carbolicious memories of merry olde albion.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol