• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recipe wanted for Ipoh combination hor fun

Is there anyone out there who knows how to make the thick eggy sauce that goes on top of the Ipoh fried hor fun, they are so common among the hawker stalls in Malaysia, but there seem to be no written recipe for this dish, I am dying to make this at home to impress my friend.

it's based on corn starch.

mix 2 tsp corn starch in a rice bowl of water.

one egg, loosely beaten, ie. not totally integrated, in the starch mixture, salt pepper oyster sauce

pour into hot wok after noodles have been removed, and off the heat, with back of spatula/wok stirrer stir until thickened and egg whites are stringy...

taste for seasoning, should be savoury eggy, and picked up flavour from the wok, then pour over noodles. should serve two.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

hi PCL, thank you, thank you, thank you, busy over the weekend with the pre chirstmas do, will have a go next week and let you know, did you ever come across a recipe anywhere for this dish ? been looking around for ages, ta. :smile:

Welcome to egullet Dim Sim. Take it you're an Aussie.

The starchy egg thing is called 'Wat-Tan' in Cantonese, meaning smooth egg literally. It's pretty much an egg wash. It provides another layer of texture which is its primary purpose.

This isn't so much a recipe as much as it is observing the guy at the hawker stand doing his magic. I was born in Ipoh, and man, there's a lot to be said about Ipoh food.

There's a thread here somewhere about Malaysian eateries, with a whole section on Ipoh.

There's a thread here somewhere about Malaysian eateries, with a whole section on Ipoh.

Yes indeed. Here are some posts that touch on Ipoh:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=355727

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=365532

Here's a great post with pictures by Shiewie:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=695512

And starting here is more discussion of Ipoh stimulated by Shiewie's post:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=701188

If you want to go to the beginning of the thread and read about various parts of Malaysia, click here.

Michael aka "Pan"

Welcome to egullet Dim Sim. Take it you're an Aussie.

Yeap mate, Ha. :raz: how did you figure that one out ? Had a big craving for hor fun yesterday, so I went down to my local take away, throughly enjoyed it. since your last post to this forum, I came across a few more recipes, chicken stock is listed as one of the ingredients for the finishing sauce. I am sure there must of hundreds of versions for this hawker dish. I went through Ipoh twice, after reading some of Pan's suggested links (yes, thank you, Pan)I was kicking myself for not stopping there on my last trip, a pity I only discovered eGullet afterward, well, next time. :smile:

Stock is always helpful, in place of water, but you need to match it well to the rest of the hor fun, especially where seafod is involved. Chicken stock, the master stock for much Chinese cooking, can overpower seafood unless its stinky cuttlefish etc.!

The stock also makes the sauce richer, but sometimes you just want texture because all your seasoning is already in the noodles.

Stock is always helpful, in place of water, but you need to match it well to the rest of the hor fun, especially where seafod is involved. Chicken stock, the master stock for much Chinese cooking, can overpower seafood unless its stinky cuttlefish etc.!

The stock also makes the sauce richer, but sometimes you just want texture because all your seasoning is already in the noodles.

Got all my ingredients, thinking about cooking it tonight, cooked some paella valenciana over the weekend for a few friends, it was delicious, anyway I freezed some left over prawns and squids and a chicken maryland fillet, and about a cup of chicken stock , and some prawn stock from the shells (I think I have to be careful with the prawn stock, I might turn the hor fun into a har mee :laugh: ).since I am going to use stock I might cut down the oyster sauce. just one thing though, I am not too sure if I can get my wok hot enough to char the horfun, I feel pretty good about turning the left over spanish into a malaysian hawker :wink:

just ate the horfun, the horfun itself was gluggy, may be I soaked it in water too long ( to soften and seperate ), it didn't hold up to the 'stir-fry' bit. the sauce itself was very tasty, but a bit rich, I decided to add the prawn stock as well as the chicken stock, the prawn stock is a bit overpowering, (I think I successfully turned it into a har mee) it was tasty but very rich, and not the result I was looking for, if I were to use chicken stock or water it would be a lighter and cleaner taste, thank you PCL for that good point. I will try again, perhaps after another paella dinner, ha ha ha.