• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet NJ Hot Dog Run (pictures!)

finker99

Popping this up to the top of the board to ask if Fink/John have come up with an official plan/schedule yet...?

I've participated in 2 tours previously; one in Jersey and one in Connecticut. I am interested in and have been looking forward to doing this one. Especially hoping to meet some of you as I have been to these places many times. I was hoping that Fink would come up with a schedule since he began the thread and it seemed that he wanted to hit some places in particular. I've sent him a message and he has yet to reply. I think that he may be away or else doesn't want to join us.

I think that we should meet at the Galloping Hill Inn between 11:30 and 12:00 Saturday. They have a big parking lot and it's easy to get to. Exit 138 off the Parkway, turn right, and the GHI is about a mile on your left. Great dogs and quick service. 30 people would be served in a matter of minutes at the walkup window.

A few miles away is Syd's. I would call ahead and tell them how many are coming and to have some dogs ready. Tabatchnik's, and Sonny Amster's is also in the same strip mall.

At this point, we could get an idea of what everyone wanted to do next. There are 2 good hot dog places literally next door to each other in Elizabeth (Jerry's and Tommy's Italian Hot Dogs) or we could go to Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs which is going back towards the Parkway and about 1/2 mile past where everyone got off (exit 138).

This would be 3 or 4 places within a few miles. We would be about 2 miles from our cars so that those who would want to leave at this point can. The rest of us could hop on the Parkway and head north to Rutt's Hut, The Hot Grill, or anywhere in that area that anyone wants to go. When I did the Jersey tour with Roadfood I picked Syd's because it is in my opinion the best all beef frank around. The Galloping Hill Inn is my favorite German style beef and pork hot dog. Among the 30 people who attended, these 2 places were tied for favorite hot dog getting the big majority of the votes. I chose Charlies because many people never had an Italian Hot Dog. Rutt's Hut was chosen because it is perhaps the most well known hot dog joint in Jersey and represents a different style (deep fried). And their relish is famous. We included the Hot Grill because it is close to Rutt's and is an authentic North Jersey Texas Weiner joint. I like their chili better than the other North Jersey places. This trip was planned well in advance with a lot of feedback. We had 30 people. This one seems to have generated less interest, so maybe it would be a good idea to start in Union, hit the 2 places which I believe are the best examples of their type, and then play it by ear. I'm open to anything. When we meet, I'll give everyone my cell phone # and we can carpool and follow each other from place to place. Last time was a lot of fun, and I'm sure Saturday will be as well.

Let's hear from others that are interested in going. Fat Guy, still in? Holly? Jason and Rachel?

Edited by John (log)

John the hot dog guy

For those coming tomorrow, let me offer some advice. We will be sampling different hot dogs. I suggest that you don't fill up on other things such as french fries. On the last trip someone ordered 2 hot dogs and fries at the first stop. By the third stop, he was too full to continue. Pace yourself. For some people (myself included) it's not a big deal to eat 5 to 7 hot dogs in one outing. Those that can't are advised to share or just have half a dog at each place. Another thing that I would stress is to have at least some of the hot dog (half maybe) either plain or topped with mustard only in order to better evaluate the taste and quality of the dog itself. Of course, you have to have some relish at Rutt's Hut or some chili at a Texas Weiner place. Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow.

John the hot dog guy

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a seeded hot dog bun in NJ! Then again, I'm not a huge dog eater, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

I'm catching up with you all at Syd's for the trio in Millburn--looking forward to it!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

gallery_2_0_21586.jpg

Galloping Hill Exterior

gallery_2_0_21977.jpg

Happy Customers

gallery_2_0_22981.jpg

Galloping Hill dog

gallery_2_0_5273.jpg

Galloping Hill closeup

gallery_2_0_2083.jpg

Syds exterior

gallery_2_0_78432.jpg

Syds interior

gallery_2_0_14879.jpg

Syds dogs on the grill

gallery_2_0_9497.jpg

Syds dog with trimmings

gallery_2_0_13787.jpg

Syds dog closeup

gallery_2_0_19661.jpg

Syds sweet potato fries (outstanding)

gallery_2_0_20738.jpg

Russian rye bread at Amster's

gallery_2_0_70598.jpg

Watson Bagels at Amster's

gallery_2_0_39025.jpg

Cookie display at Amster's

gallery_2_0_74292.jpg

3 to a pound Empire National Kosher dogs, custom for Tabachnick's. These are massive hot dogs, one of which is equivalent to really 2 decent size dogs.

gallery_2_0_22931.jpg

"Oy, you're not going to give that picture to the FBI, are you?"

gallery_2_0_20541.jpg

Tabachnick dog closeup

gallery_2_0_28561.jpg

Tabachnick dog cross section

gallery_2_0_89477.jpg

Charlies exterior

gallery_2_0_13022.jpg

Charlies interior

gallery_2_0_27070.jpg

Charlies Italian Dog -- note the fried potatoes stuffed into 1/4 of a "Pizza roll"

gallery_2_0_8356.jpg

A plate of Rutt's rippers

gallery_2_0_1724.jpg

Rutt's "Weller"

gallery_2_0_34633.jpg

Weller closeup

gallery_2_0_37121.jpg

Rutt's relish

gallery_2_0_50776.jpg

Rutt's rings. Fantastic.

gallery_2_0_82293.jpg

Rutt's dogs in the deep fryer

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh man. I want a hot dog soooooo badly right now!

Looks like y'all had a great time. Sorry I missed it. That was an epic hot dog run!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What no cremated?

Awesome tour! I can feel another heart attack coming on just from looking at those photos! :biggrin:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

It was a great time. Jason, thanks so much for the pictures! Nice to meet some fellow E-Gulleteers; some for the second time since some of us got together a few years ago at Rutt's Hut.

The Jersey Hot Dog Run was attended by Jason and Rachel Perlow, Rooftop1000, Carl, Mark, NJ2FLA, his father Dave, Curlz, Rlibkind, and myself. As seen in the pictures, we went to the Galloping Hill Inn (German style beef and pork dog, grilled), Syd's (charbroiled kosher style all beef dog), Tabatchnik's (certified Kosher dog cooked on a flat griddle), Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs (deep fried beef dog topped with potatoes, peppers, and onions stuffed in pizza bread), and Rutt's Hut (deep fried pork based dog).

Each dog represented a different style, although Syd's and Tabatchnik's are similar; Syd's being a kosher style dog, while Tabatchnik's used an actual kosher dog. These two were somewhat close in flavor with the kosher dog being saltier while the Syd's dog may have been a little spicier. Also a big difference in size, as you can see from the pictures.

The beef dogs had more seasoning, while the 2 dogs containing pork were milder (some say blander). As for preference, it seems that a lot of times people prefer what they grew up with. In the northern part of North Jersey, the beef/pork blend; especially deep fried is prominent. People raised on this style look at the beef dogs as being too spicy. Those of us brought up on the flavorful beef dogs often taste a Rutt's Hut dog and consider it too mild.

I love all of these dogs and never tire of going to these places. What makes it extra special for me is to meet others; especially those who I feel I know from E-Gullet, and compare opinions about hot dogs. Today, I really enjoyed the spicier beef dogs. I think I liked Syd's best today. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one particular dog. Like a ripper with the special relish. Or an Italian Dog with all those potatoes. It's great for a hot dog lover like myself to live in an area where there is so much choice.

Thanks to all who showed up. I had a great time today. And thanks again Jason for the excellent pictures.

PS If anyone wants to know where to get any of the dogs sampled today to cook at home, let me know.

John the hot dog guy

gallery_2_618_1105834686.jpg

gallery_23695_426_1105833437.jpg

since I was suffering from camera envy I didnt take too many shots

thank you all it was lots of fun with nitrites ta boot or is that nitrates....i think we are having icecream for dinner....well Karl already is

tracey

(edit: image brighten)

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Since I was only on the Millburn Mall section of the run (Syd's, Sonny A's, Tabatchnick's), I hardly qualified as an official participant yesterday, but I still want to thank John for his coordination of the day! Between Syd's and the 1/2 of the (GIANT) dog I shared with John at Tabatchnick's, I'd have to say that I liked the Syd's dog the best. And yes, I grew up eating all-beef and/or kosher hot dogs, so I guess he's right about our being predisposed to what we ate as kids!

Btw, I'll mention the fact that when you open the front door at Syd's, you're face-to-face with a 2003 Star Ledger article all about John and his hot-dog knowledge! So if you have questions, he is indeed the guy to query.

Sounds like the rest of the day was fun...did any of you eat dinner last night?!? :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

What a great day! Especially meeting up with everyone, most of you for the first time. Many thanks to John for following through to the initial suggestion from Finker and putting this together -- including his advance calls to a couple of the establishments so we wouldn't overwhelm them upon arrival.

Here some photos to complement those gorgeous specimens already posted by Jason and Rooftop1000:

The last shall be first. Most of the remaining gang after consuming rippers at Rutt's Hut.

gallery_7493_621_1105833350.jpg

Karl and Tracey (Rooftop1000) enjoy their rippers.

gallery_7493_621_1105833108.jpg

John is definitey serious about his Italian hot dog at Charlie's (hold the onion, please).

gallery_7493_621_1105833079.jpg

Gallloping Hill Inn's German-style franks, mit kraut.

gallery_7493_621_1105832951.jpg

Syd's grillman chars those boiled dogs.

gallery_7493_621_1105833011.jpg

Half a root beer keg keg mounted on wall at Syd's used to be a full dispenser at the original Syd's location on Chancelllor Avenue in Newark, opposite Weequahic High.

gallery_7493_621_1105833146.jpg

Millburn Mall, in addition to Syd's, also features Tabachnick's Smoke House and Sonny Amster's Bakery.

gallery_7493_621_1105833249.jpg

Breads and bagels are just some of the delights to be found at Sonny Amster's. I also took home a hunk of poppyseed strudel.

gallery_7493_621_1105833051.jpg

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thanks for the photos. I was on my way up there when my alternator went out on I295; luckily only 17 miles from home.

Maybe next time...

ps

could someone id the people in the photos - only some were pointed out.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Great thread and it looks like you guys had a great time! Makes me want to get a good hot dog, but I dont want to go to Pinks which is pretty much one of the only places out in L.A. to get a good dog.

You guys pretty much got us beat in the Hot Dog Dept thats for sure!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

We still have to do the northern edge......Clixies, Goffle grill, Falls View Grill, Johnny n Hanges.....

Some places John the hot dog king hasnt been to :laugh:

tracey n Karl

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I've been to Goffle Grill and Johnny n Hanges. Last time I went to the Goffle Grill, I stopped at Clixes, which is right down the street, but they were closed since it was Sunday. Definitely up for another trip. Would like to try Clixes, Falls View, and the Karl Ehmers cart in front of their store.

John the hot dog guy

John, I noticed a Frankie Dee's (D's?) on Centre Street in Nutley this week...anything worth knowing about?

Tonight, we cooked up some of those Empire Kosher 1/3 of a Pound dogs, along with some rolls we baked up for the occassion:

gallery_2_618_1106446692.jpg

Long rolls, made from a Kummelweck Roll recipe, but rolled out like hot dog buns.

gallery_2_618_1106446660.jpg

Hot Dog with Mustard and Kraut on fresh roll, Tater Tots, Chili.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

John, I noticed a Frankie Dee's (D's?) on Centre Street in Nutley this week...anything worth knowing about?

Someone had told me about Frankie D's awhile back. They said it was a new place specializing in Italian Hot Dogs. I called on a Sunday about 3 or 4 weeks ago to see if they were open (they were) so I could make a trip to Nutley.

It's a very small place that used to be a pizzeria. Mostly take out since there are only 2 tables. They opened in August or September of last year. Even though they are called Frankie D's Dog House, they also make various sandwiches. And pizza, but only on certain days. As for the hot dogs, they make Italian Hot Dogs and plain hot dogs. The plain dogs are the deep fried Thumanns which are used at Rutt's, Hirams, Libby's, Goffle Grill, Johnny n Hanges, etc. I had one of these as well as a double Italian Dog.

The Italian Hot Dog was similar to Dickiee Dees in appearance. Meaning they topped the sandwich with chunks of potatoes rather than thinly sliced ones like Charlies. Dickiee Dee's and Frank's Newark Style cut their potatoes in chunks, while Tommy's, Charlies, and Jimmy Buff's slice them thin. In my opinion, Frankie D's makes a good Italian Hot Dog. The potatoes, while similar to Dickiee Dees, tasted fresher and better. The dogs (Best brand) are bigger than the tiny ones used at Dees, and there were more peppers. All in all, a good sandwich, probably the best one I've had in Essex County or anywhere north of Union County. But Charlies in Kenilworth and Tommy's in Elizabeth are better. The plain hot dog was good, but I should have told them to make it well done.

John the hot dog guy

On the next run perhaps we can start in Newark at Dickie Dee's and then hit JJ's (might be more fun when it get's warmer out). Then we can head up 21 and hit the more northern places.

John ever heard of a place on Stelton road - I think called Frank's or some name Texas Weiner? It's in a brick strip mall. Probably in South Plainfield or Piscataway. I pass it on the way home sometimes.

Never been to the place on Stelton Rd. There is a Texas Weiner place (I forget the name) on Park Ave. in South Plainfield that I've been to. Similar to Texas Weiner ll in Greenbrook. They use the same Grote & Weigel griddle frank as does Red Tower up the street in Plainfield and another Red Tower on rt. 22 in North Plainfield.

Dickiee Dee's and JJ's sounds like a good idea. They are a stones throw from each other. Tony's is also a few blocks away. Known for their hot onions if you like that kind of thing. JJ's has a real spicy chili. Definitely something to keep in mind for the near future.

John the hot dog guy