• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet NJ Hot Dog Run (pictures!)

finker99

Boulevard Drinks is a great place. I think I've mentioned it in past posts. I know that Holly has been there recently. I'm awaiting his review and pictures. Very good observation about it being like Papaya King. They both use Sabrett natural casing beef franks and slow cook them on a griddle. Papaya King uses a 10 to a lb dog while the one at Boulevard Drinks is very small (12 to a lb). I'm not crazy about the location; it's a pain in the ass to park there. I usually end up parking in a garage, even on Sundays.

Interesting point; I had always assumed that Sabrett was a New York dog. Although Marathon Enterprises (who bought out and owns Sabrett) is in Jersey, the dogs are produced in the Bronx. But the Sabrett company was born on Henderson St. in Jersey City and the factory was there for many years.

Rlibkind,

I go to the Best factory all the time to buy the same 5 to a lb dogs that are served at Syd's. They will sell as little as a 2 lb package to you. They are sold in 2, 3, 5, and 10 pound packages. Up until a few years ago you could even buy one pound (5 dogs) that they would throw in a brown paper bag. This was stopped when a few people died of Lysteria poisoning from eating tainted Sabrett hot dogs. Now they have to sell their dogs sealed in cryovac packages. You can also get their dogs in a variety of sizes.

John the hot dog guy

Just curious...is there a difference between the Best's hot dogs that you can buy in the supermarket and the ones you buy directly from them? I remember my dad going to buy them directly to stock the snack bar that was run by the Little League parents about a zillion years ago. Okay, maybe it was only 30--but still...! :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ok,

So it looks like Rutt's, the Galloping Hill Inn, and Syd's are the list so far. I would like to try Clixes or Johnny and Hanges cuz I've never tried them and I wasn't so Hot on the Hot Grill, although I enjoyed their goofy commercials.

Fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Ok,

So it looks like Rutt's, the Galloping Hill Inn, and Syd's are the list so far.  I would like to try Clixes or Johnny and Hanges cuz I've never tried them and I wasn't so Hot on the Hot Grill, although I enjoyed their goofy commercials.

Fink

again, clixes, J&H, and Goffle Grill, which are all notable and unique, are literally minutes from each other. GG and clixes are practically next to each other. it's a quick ride up from rutt's as well up 21/20.

Just curious...is there a difference between the Best's hot dogs that you can buy in the supermarket and the ones you buy directly from them?  I remember my dad going to buy them directly to stock the snack bar that was run by the Little League parents about a zillion years ago.  Okay, maybe it was only 30--but still...! :raz:

The Best's hot dogs that you see in supermarkets are skinless. They come 8 or 10 to a lb. There is also a low sodium dog. At the plant in Newark there are a variety of shapes and sizes. You can also get the natural casing franks, which I prefer. All dogs are made from the same recipe, but the natural casing adds something. I usually get the 5 to a lb and prepare them like Syd's does. The dogs are also cheaper at the plant and you can get quality roast beef, corned beef, pastrami, hamburgers, and other beef products.

John the hot dog guy

Thanks for the clarification, John! I knew someone here would know... :smile:

And geez...sounds like a trip to the Best's warehouse should be part of our trip!!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

again, clixes, J&H, and Goffle Grill, which are all notable and unique, are literally minutes from each other. GG and clixes are practically next to each other. it's a quick ride up from rutt's as well up 21/20.

Ok then, Syds, Galloping Inn, Clixes, J&H, Rutts, and Goffle all sound like winners, I think that we have room for one more place if we really think it is a can't miss then we can start figuring out our routing.

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Finker

we have to throw in a Jimmy Buffs or some other Italian dog .....the closest might be North Arlington if its still open

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I think it would be a great idea to include an Italian Hot Dog. This sandwich originated in New Jersey and is generally only available in Union and Essex Counties. I would strongly recommend going to Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs in Kenilworth. It is less than 2 miles away from the Galloping Hill Inn, right off the main road. Not only is it convenient, but they make a better sandwich in my opinion. Jimmy Buff's uses tiny dogs and their sandwich is much smaller than Charlies. Charlies also gives you much more and tastier vegetables. I was in the mood for an Italian Hot Dog last Sunday evening. I drove by Charlies, but they had just closed. I ran over to Buff's and found them still open. They told me that I couldn't get peppers on my sandwich. I asked if they had run out. No, the owner refuses to buy them now because they are more expensive due to the hurricanes in Florida. So I ordered a double without the peppers. Still the same price. And so small that I had to order a single also. At Charlies I can barely finish a double. And everything is cooked up fresh rather than laying in a steel pan all day until needed. Tommy's in Elizabeth also makes a good Italian Hot Dog, but Charlies is the best. I've been to all of them so it doesn't much matter to me, but I think Charlies is the best choice. It's also much more convenient travelwise.

John the hot dog guy

Finker

we have to throw in a Jimmy Buffs or some other Italian dog .....the closest might be North Arlington if its still open

T

The North Arlington location has been closed for well over a year, probably closer to 2. Unfortunately, so has Eagan's which was right down the street.

John the hot dog guy

Dickie Dee's? It's in Newark though.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I havent gotten to try any of those places...only have had them homemade by my ex-MIL whose alternate sunday dinner included a trip to an unknown to me bakery in Newark for "pizza bread" like an italian pita.....pizza dough, hot pepper focaccia, broccoli bread and stromboli all of which were the appetizers BEFORE the Italian hot dogs. and that was a light meal compared to her Gravey Sundays :blink:

They did talk about Dickie Dee's alot......

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Jan 15th should be good for me also. I'll put in for the day off. I'll also call Syd's tomorrow and check on their hours. I thought they were open past 2. Right in the same strip mall as Syd's is Tabatchnik's. A very good Jewish deli. Many people from a previous trip ran over there to buy sandwiches to take home. They also serve what is in my opinion the best kosher hot dog I've sampled. A giant 1/3 pound Empire National dog with casing. Big, meaty, and delicious. One guy bought one and shared it with the rest of us. It was the favorite of Steve Keiner, the former Nathan's hot dog eating champ. There is also another kosher deli there and Sonny Amster's Bagels.

John the hot dog guy

Sonny Amster's Bagels.

I haven't been by the Millburn Mall for the better part of a year, but Amster's is more than bagels (though the bagels are superb; the direct descendant of the old Watson Bagels; I believe Elmora Bagels in Elizabeth is also their operation). As for Amsters by Syd's, it's a great overall Jewish bakery of the sort that's hard to find nowadays (Amsters is not merely Jewish style, it's Kosher). And I never leave Millburn Mall without some belly (salty) lox from Tabachnik's.

Assuming this run includes Syd's, I'll going to bring my cooler bag!

OH, NO. THE RUN IS SCHEDULED FOR A SATURDAY SO AMSTER'S WILL BE CLOSED AND, ASSUMING TABACHNIK'S IS ALSO KOSHER (I'm uncertain if they are or not) SO WILL THEY!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I know that Tabatchnik's will be open Saturday. That's the day that I went on the last tour and I had called beforehand to find out if they would be open. They are not Kosher, but do sell some Kosher products, including the franks. I'll call about Sonny Amster's as well. I'm not so sure that they won't be open. I have a Kosher deli on my mail route in Clark (Deli King) and they are open Saturdays. I'ts funny; they are Certified Kosher and will not mix meat and cheese for a reuben, but are open on Saturday. I asked the owner about this and he told me that the only Kosher Delis closed on Saturday are Glatt Kosher. In any event, I'll call Sonny's tomorrow to find out.

John the hot dog guy

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking that we can do this one of 2 ways. Either start at the North Jersey locations and work our way south to Union, or start in Union and work our way north. This depends on where you want to end up. If you would rather start closer to home or end up closer. It doesn't matter to me, though if we start in Union, I know it would be convenient travel wise. Exit 138 off the Garden State Parkway, make a right (it doesn't matter if you are coming from the north or south) off the exit and the GHI is a mile or less on the left hand side. Syd's is a few miles away in the same town. We are also close to the Elizabeth places (Jerry's and Tommy's) and a mile away from Charlies.

I was hoping we could get a consensus as to where we wanted to go. It seems GHI, Syd's and Rutt's so far. I was hoping we would hear back from Finker since he started the thread. What's everyone think?

John the hot dog guy

You folks are making me homesick. I grew up on hot dogs from all over the Paterson & Bergen area. Many of the classics ones are gone or in some cases moved. The oldest places still have the original beer only license and serve draught beer. Libbys in Paterson and Callahans in Ft Lee for example. Each and everyone also had their secret sauce and I never met one I didn't like.

You folks are making me homesick.  I grew up on hot dogs from all over the Paterson & Bergen area.  Many of the classics ones are gone or in some cases moved. The oldest places still have the original beer only license and serve draught beer.  Libbys in Paterson and Callahans in Ft Lee for example.  Each and everyone also had their secret sauce and I never met one I didn't like.

I've had beer at Libby's. An excellent place; like an old diner. Hiram's is the place in Fort Lee that serves beer, not Callahans. Located right across the street from each other. Hiram's is actually a small neighborhood bar where hot dogs are deep fried in open view behind the bar. Another great hot dog joint. Rutt's Hut, of course, also serves beer. One of my favorite places to grab a beer and a dog was Eagan's in North Arlington. Now gone, replaced by the satanic Rite Aid/CVS cartel. Like we need more drug stores. They pop up all over replacing neighborhood icons like Eagans, the Parsonage Diner, and Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor.

John the hot dog guy