• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chester County Restaurants

percyn

What is with the hot dog thing. I got myself a cubana at the place next to the market, in the ville, I told you about. My wife went sideways, gah... I'm not eating that. I gave her some lamb tacos which she liked and I had the sandwich, which I LOVED, but I don't get it. Why the hot dog?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

i had lunch today at five guys burgers and fries in the gateway shopping center in wayne (the one with the trader joe's).

five guys is a franchise up and down the east coast.

if you're familiar with in 'n' out burger in california, it's a very similar concept. basic menu is burgers and fries with a few extras like hot dogs and grilled cheese. their burgers are fresh and hand-pressed, their fries are from whole potatoes sliced and fried in peanut oil. they even tell you where the potatoes you're eating that day come from (mine were from rexburg idaho).

i'm not a big french fry fanatic, but these were EXCELLENT. the perfect amount of crisp, salt and grease. the burger was delicious (their regular is two patties with your choice of toppings, they also have a "little" which is one patty).

if you're in the mood for a junk food splurge, i highly recommend this place.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

I was bringing my daughter back from play practice at Longwood Gardens and she mentioned she was hungry. As I was turning to go North on 202 off of Route 1 I noticed a sign for El Gran Rodeo, 220 Painters Crossing Village, West Chester PA 484-840-0323, and figured I would give it a try.

The restaurant was clean, had a number of booths and table and a small bar. The help was friendly, polite and greeted me immediately.

The Menu was extensive. In a hurry I ordered a quesedilla (sp?) and a dish called fajita burritos for me, to go.

The meal was ready in minutes. I gave my daughter her quesedilla, which she had to let cool. When it was eating temperature she said that she liked it very much and asked if we could go back. A good sign.

Lunch came with a bag of what appeared to be recently made chips, still warm and very crisp. It there were to little cups, one had a zippy salsa very fresh, with a clean tomato taste. this had not been lying around. The second cup had a sour cream like sauce which was aggressively spiced with a slight pink color. It was very good on the chips.

When I got home I found one smaller container with fresh shredded lettuce, a tomato slice, guacamole salad and sour cream.

In the large container was two burritos stuffed with tasty, spicy, strips of grilled meat covered with a spicy/tangy cheese sauce. There was also a generous helping of refried which where quite good as well.

Since I live in northern Chester county this is a bit of a haul for me, but in there area around lunch or dinner time and I would definitely go back.

The business card speaks of four other locations but they are all in VA.

It is definitely worth a try.

--------------------

First saw Five Guys while spending a weekend in Alexandria, VA. We did not eat at one but later heard some very good things about it from very reliable food mavens. Waiting for one to open in Lower Bucks County. I expect it should not be too long.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Yet more proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy:

gallery_23992_2350_24962.jpg

Yes, you read that right, Kimberton Gelato.

gallery_23992_2350_83654.jpg

That's a regular, with cappuccino and bittersweet chocolate, $3.75 I think...

OK, it's not Capogiro, it's not even especially great gelato, but it's solidly good gelato, which is to say WAY better than most of the frozen desserts on offer around here.

I'm psyched.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Woohooo! I am there! God bless your keen eyesight.

--------------------

Yet more proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy:

gallery_23992_2350_24962.jpg

Yes, you read that right, Kimberton Gelato.

gallery_23992_2350_83654.jpg

That's a regular, with cappuccino and bittersweet chocolate, $3.75 I think...

OK, it's not Capogiro, it's not even especially great gelato, but it's solidly good gelato, which is to say WAY better than most of the frozen desserts on offer around here.

I'm psyched.

Please provide with address etc, so I can add to my local list!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

Hubby and I walked to The Black Lab in Phoenixville last night and had what I consider my first really good meal there. We have been there a handful of times and it was OK, but not truly compelling, but last night it totally hit the spot.

Caesar salad- nice bite and good cheese (reminded us we need to check out our local Raimondo's Cheese! shop the next time we are on Bridge Street)

Hubby had burger, I had Swordfish with lemon/garlic orzo, which was sooo tasty!!! I walked past someone's dinner on the way to the table, and they seemed to have some sort of rice/pasta in a creamy sauce, perhaps a risotto, and so I ordered this thinking that might be what they had. Sooo good, I am jonesing for the orzo right now. Swordfish was nice too. :-)

Flourless chocolate torte to finish, rich and chocolatey, definitely hitting the spot as well.

Nice to see the place bustling on a Wednesday night!

In other Phoenixville gastronomic news:

Brown's Cow Ice Cream shop has opened on Main Street, they are scooping Bassetts and also have a selection of homemade looking tarts/pies in the case as well. Again nice place to walk to, though it totally undoes any calories burned by getting there! They have a few tables and benches outside and have turned a somewhat unremarkable block into a destination.

Word has it the Vale Rio diner will be replaced by a Walgreens, which will be within 1/4 mile of 2 other pharmacies of course. Money seems to be the motivator with this sale, per usual.

Also going along with that, the Fountain Inn is slated to become a Starbucks.Don't know how this will affect Steel City's business.

Also, there is a new coffee house/ gallery that just opened up on Bridge, same block as Black Lab, did not catch the name but will have to investigate.

Beth, psyched she found her Majolica gift certificate when cleaning out the desk!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

Please provide with address etc, so I can add to my local list!

I'm not sure, there's just one major road that goes through Kimberton, it splits off of 113 just west/south of the Genuardi's (look for the Kimberton Inn sign). The Gelato place is on that road, on the right hand side, down as there start to be some businesses, it's kind of across from the Kimberton Whole Foods, but not directly across the street.

Just get into Kimberton, you'll find it!

Thanks for the other P-Ville news, mostly good developments. I'd heard some whispering among the Vale Rio Diner staff about changes, but I wasn't sure in what way. It's always had inconsistent food, but i REALLY like having something open 24 hours. Shame if it turns into a drugstore.

I suspect Steel City is doing pretty well as a venue for music and other performances, they'll be OK even if a Charbucks opens.

I walked past Brown's Cow the other day, and it looked nice, but I didn't stop. Reports soon!

philadining.com

We've been to Brown's twice so far. The ice cream is good, though the scoop is a bit small. They've done a nice job with the tiny place- very cheery!

Insider tip- at the checkout counter they have a box of cards that look like business cards, but on the back is a "buy 10 get one free" stamping offer. We did not know this when we were there first, I only looked at the card after we got home.

Get your card stamped on your first visit!

Went down to West Chester tonight hoping for some Puerto Rican food, but Sabor al Tropical had closed up by 9:30pm (so much for the "open late" on their menu...)

So I ran a couple blocks over to Murray's Deli on Market Street in West Chester. Percy had recently implanted the idea in my head - he told me he'd gotten a good pastrami sandwich, and that sounded pretty good right about then!

gallery_23992_2151_44519.jpg

After I ordered, I realized that they offer a couple of variations on a pastrami sandwich. This was a plain-old "Roumanian" pastrami sandwich: cold and sliced thin. I've had a different one from them that I think they call "NY style" that had the meat warm and sliced thicker. I liked the flavor of that thicker-cut one a bit better, although it was kind of weirdly too-hot, like it had been microwaved or something...

In any case, although neither version gives Katz's in NY any real competition, they're still pretty darn good sandwiches. And it's a shorter drive to Market Street than to Houston St.

philadining.com

Here is the NY style Pastrami I got from Murray's in West Chester last week. While the cut was thick, the meat was very very tender and juicy. I didn't notice the meat being microwaved (perhaps because I went during the day or perhaps because I was not paying that much attention to it...next time I will).

gallery_21049_162_64986.jpg

I probably shouldn't accuse Murray's of microwaving my pastrami, I didn't actually see that happen, it's just that the meat was VERY hot, not merely warm as I'm used to getting it in NY delis. And I've never quite figured out why every time I've been there, they slice the meat out front, then disappear into the back with it to make the sandwich. I guess that's where my suspicion started: the pastrami seemed to come from the (refrigerated) deli case out front, but was piping hot on my sandwich, it didn't seem to be held at the warmer temperature.

That said, both of the versions of the pastrami were very tasty sandwiches, and I've had good corned beef there too. I'll still head downtown to Famous or Koch's for a major deli binge, but Murray's is good, Ill be going back.

philadining.com

OK, I wanted to post this on the Sushi in Chester County thread, which I thought existed, but I could not find it, so here goes....

Went to Teikoku in West Chester and got the $20 Sashimi platter, which included Octopus, Fluke, Tuna, Salmon and Red Snapper (I think)

gallery_21049_398_5772.jpg

along with an Asahi extra dry

gallery_21049_398_154346.jpg

I initially asked whether they had Omakase, but they said they stopped after the Winter. There were a few more things on the menu, which looked interesting, including Kobe beef servered in various styles (carpaccio, tartare, cheesesteak, etc), but I was too full to try these.

Takeout Jambalaya Fettucini from High Street Cafe in West Chester.

gallery_21049_162_122281.jpg

Flavor was good, well seasoned, but not too overly so. Would have probably tasted even better if I ate it in the restaurant.

BTW, they do have a liquor lic, but also allow you to bring you own wine (I don't think there is a corking fee).

Takeout Jambalaya Fettucini from High Street Cafe in West Chester.

gallery_21049_162_122281.jpg

Flavor was good, well seasoned, but not too overly so. Would have probably tasted even better if I ate it in the restaurant.

BTW, they do have a liquor lic, but also allow you to bring you own wine (I don't think there is a corking fee).

hey! that's my favorite dish there! matt loves their alligator sausage with goat cheese. yum.

Charles Pierce

Didn't see the alligator sausage...maybe next time (hopefully soon).

it's an appetizer. they were having some trouble getting it after katrina, but we went there in may and they had it again.

Charles Pierce

I've just switch job locations, going from the culinary tundra known as Horsham to the culinary unknown (for me at least) of Collegeville. Based off of this thread and the recommendation of a co-worker, Black Lab is first on my list. Any other good lunch places within 10-15 minutes of 422?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

In Collegeville, on the basic end, I've always like Marzella's Pizza (5th Ave & Main St, Collegeville, PA 19426 (610) 489-4946)

and although I've never made it, I've heard great things about Sonny's deli, up the Ridge Pike toward Limerick, apparently a real SouthPhilly feeling deli (250 W Rdg Pike, Limerick, PA 19468-1764)

If you're willing to come down to Phoenixville for the Black Lab, the Cheese shop on Bridge Street sometimes has sandwiches, and there's a little Italian place I haven't tried yet right near there. Also, Nudie's just opened up, around the bend on Bridge Street, but I haven't been in. los Mariachis has lunch specials 11-3, they're at Gay and Washington in P-ville.

I don't often eat lunch around there, so my advice is only so good... tell us what you try!

philadining.com

I know you are looking for lunch places, but if you can make it for dinner one day (working late perhaps) after 6pm from Tues - Sat, I would recommend Majolica.

Just a quick warning: Majolica is closed for vacation through August 4, if I remember the sign on the window correctly. But yes, once they get back, it's the best place for dinner in a broad radius...

philadining.com

Ok, this one is just outside Chester County, in Lancaster.

Jakey's Amish BBQ

gallery_21049_162_34672.jpg

The Menu

gallery_21049_162_72455.jpg

We were returning from a long trip on a Sunday evening, so we did not feel like eating there and opted for take-out.

We got

BBQ Chicken - The chicken still seemed nice and juicy

gallery_21049_162_97284.jpg

BBQ Pork Sandwich - A bit dried out, but confinement to the take out box might have contributed to that.

gallery_21049_162_107785.jpg

With sides of Corn Fritters and Coleslaw (not pictured)

gallery_21049_162_20826.jpg

We had 3 different types of sauces: A mild BBQ, a hot BBQ and a mustard and vinegar based sauce.

Overall it was good, but not great. Will try it a few more times before giving it a final rating as the trip back home and a slow Sunday night may not shed the most favorable light to rate any restaurant by.

Next time will try their brisket and a shake.

Went to the recently opened Taste of India, in Exton.

Since this was an impromptu visit, I did not have my trusty camera with me (used to leave it in the car until the 90F + temp).

Overall, my feelings about this place were mixed:

On the plus side:

+ Good range of North Indian dishes including a few that you don't see at every typical Indian restaurant buffet, e.g Tandoori fish, Rashmi Kebab (although the menu called it something else), Kheema Mutter (ground beef with peas), Rouafza (a rose flavored milk drink), etc.

+ Finally - A non-veg Indian place in Exton

+ Large space with new furnishings - Seems to be a bit larger than the space in Wayne and not as crowded (maybe because it is new of maybe because it is in the burbs).

+ They have an extensive take-out menu (which I hope to try soon)

The Negatives:

- Inconsistent spices in the food - It was almost as though 2 people with 2 completely different palates had cooked the food. Some of the dishes were bland to the point of not even having any salt in them, while other dishes were "properly spiced" and some were even a bit too salty. I hope that this is a minor glitch that they work out and not an approach they are taking for the american palate.

- Gaudy decor - <soapbox> I don't know why most Indian restaurants in the US use such gaudy decor, especially when restaurants in India are not that gaudy.</soapbox>

- Slow service - I only wait staff spotted on a Friday afternoon

- Price - Not that it is unreasonable, but I think the $10.95 is a little more than what they charge in Wayne ($8.95?). But I don't mind it if they keep the extra dishes and improve the flavors a bit.

Will have to get take out from there to test it out.

SaxChik, Philadining, (anyone) have you tried this place yet?