• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chester County Restaurants

percyn

I had dinner at Veekoo Asian Cuisine, 10th Avenue Shoppes, 333 Tenth Avenue, Royersford, Pennsylvania, the out edge of chester county, phone (610) 644-7464 Saturday night.

I had the tom yum soup which was spicy with nice bright flavors and some of the best tasting shrimp I have had in a soup in a long time.

I also red curry tofu (ordered extra spicy) which had pieces of squash, yellow and zucchini, red and green peppers, onions and eggplant that turned out to be the star of the dish. They brought the heat I was happy.

My daughter had potstickers and woton soup, both which were very good.

My wife had the coconut soup with lemongrass and chicken which could have used a bit of salt.

She also had a shrimp stir fry dish, which I didn't catch the name of but it she loved it.

The menu is broad with prices for entrees ranging from $8.00 and up. Sevice was very good.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

We were in the Kennett area last night (after the opening of the Warhol, Wyeth, Basquiat show at the Brandywine which was very good), and having read over the last year or so about Sovana Bistro we drove down for dinner.

We waited about 30 minutes for a table, but sat at the bar (no liquor license), opened our bottle of wine and relaxed. The wait staff was friendly. The back half of the restaurant has no ceiling just a cavernous space up to the roof, and that makes it pretty loud in there.

Husband and I were both pretty disappointed in the food. Since we only sampled a small % of the menu, I would certainly go back, but this time was a let down. I had a mixed green salad with dried cranberries and a vinagrette dressing - adequate but not great. My husband had heirloom tomatoes, locally grown and organic, with goat cheese, basil, avocado, arugula, and balsmic vinegar. We felt that this dish suffered from too many ingredients, and I know this is weird but the basil was really overwhelming (our first courses were $8 and & $12, respectively.)

We both had pasta: my husband's had boar and a red sauce that was OK. I had a ravioli stuffed with braised short rib, mushroom and swiss chard. This was 3 large ravioli in a thin beef broth sauce covered in parmesan. This dish sounded so good to me, but was just too salty. Once in a while I would have a bite that wasn't too salty so that by the end of the meal I was trying to taste each element alone to determine where all the salt was coming from. I never did figure it out because even alone the saltiness was variable. Once in a while, I would bite into something crunchy. It wasn't unpleasant, but I couldn't identify where that was coming from either. The pastas were around $20 each. You could get half-orders as well.

The wood-fired pizzas looked good, and they were serving a halibut special that was good-looking so I would return for another meal and hope that the pasta wasn't representative of the kitchen's skill in general. This is my first full restaurant review, so be kind!

Edited by Natasha (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Had dinner at Fioravanti's in Downingtown with friends last night. Since we sat down before 6:30, they offered us the fixed price menu. Three courses for $20, but the entire regular menu is available with an uptick in price for some appetizers and entrees including the evening's specials.

I started with the mussels in a spicy red sauce. These were really good and the sauce was great when sopped up with bread. The other notable appetizer was a smoked chicken ravioli - very tasty.

My entree was a special of the evening, the braised short ribs with spinach and polenta. The meat was falling-apart tender and the spinach and polenta were garlicky and good. My friends all had swordfish with carmelized fennel. I didn't taste it, but everyone said it was really good.

Dessert was a choice between two cakes, a white chocolate and a fudge cake. We all chose the fudge cake, and it was OK. I don't think they make their own desserts and it is never the best course there for sure.

We had a really pleasant meal. The service was attentive but not overbearing and the meal was paced very nicely. I hadn't been there in awhile so I was happy to find the food still consistently good. I also love that this place is practically in my backyard (although not as close The Olive Tree which I can actually see in the distance out my back window!)

Had dinner at Fioravanti's in Downingtown with friends last night.  Since we sat down before 6:30, they offered us the fixed price menu. Three courses for $20, but the entire regular menu is available with an uptick in price for some appetizers and entrees including the evening's specials.

I started with the mussels in a spicy red sauce. These were really good and the sauce was great when sopped up with bread.  The other notable appetizer was a smoked chicken ravioli - very tasty.

My entree was a special of the evening, the braised short ribs with spinach and polenta. The meat was falling-apart tender and the spinach and polenta were garlicky and good. My friends all had swordfish with carmelized fennel. I didn't taste it, but everyone said it was really good.

Dessert was a choice between two cakes, a white chocolate and a fudge cake. We all chose the fudge cake, and it was OK. I don't think they make their own desserts and it is never the best course there for sure.

We had a really pleasant meal. The service was attentive but not overbearing and the meal was paced very nicely. I hadn't been there in awhile so I was happy to find the food still consistently good. I also love that this place is practically in my backyard (although not as close The Olive Tree which I can actually see in the distance out my back window!)

Is this place BYO? We have friends who recently moved to Downingtown and are no doubt looking for good places to eat. What is their address so I can pass it on to them?

$20 for a 3 course dinner is right up their alley too.

Since most restaurants have pulled spinach, was there any explanation by the staff as to the reason they have left it on the menu? Is it local organic, blah, blah? Just curious.

It is a BYO. It's right on business Route 30 in "downtown" Downingtown across from the First Fidelity Bank. Also, tell them to check out The Olive Tree on Route 113 for pretty decent Greek food, and another Italian place, Allegria near the intersection of Route 100 & Route 113. Both are BYO.

The waiter did tell us that they had called their supplier and the spinach was grown organically near the supplier or something like that. My friend's salad was supposed to be spinach but they offered to substitute arugula if she wanted. She did, but I just decided to throw caution to the wind, and eat the spinach.

Edited by Natasha (log)

Natasha, Fioravanti's is a popular "don't feel like cooking today" stop for my wife and I. Also, asumming that the spinach was cooked/blanched, it should be safe.

Jeff, in addition to the restuarants that Natasha mentioned, your friends can visit Devi for a veg Indian place and Riverstone cafe which serves a decent brunch (both in the Marchwood shopping center in Exton). There is also the Drafting room, which has good food and quite a few beers on tap, along with a decent collection of Scotch. They also serve brunch on Sundays as does their sister restaurant the Brickside Grill.

For a more upscale dining experiencing, Birchrunville Cafe is not too far (in CHester Springs) and Duling Kurtz House (in exton).

Have them email me if they have any questions on these places.

Charlie...you are funny :laugh:

Jeff, in addition to the restuarants that Natasha mentioned, your friends can visit Devi for a veg Indian place and Riverstone cafe which serves a decent brunch (both in the Marchwood shopping center in Exton).

actually, both those restaurants (devi and riverstone) are in the whiteland towne center (the shopping center with the acme and kohl's). jack's pizza, also in that shopping center, makes a pretty mean cheesesteak. china bistro is also there. it used to be our mecca for sezchuan, but has changed chefs and has toned down the heat.

can't say i recommend any restaurants in marchwood, although the exton diner's the only place open late to go after drinking or a late night show.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

percy- i just saw your shots of charcoal pit. i've been going there for like my whole life.a wilmington institution. what did you think?

natasha- give sovana another shot. i've been there about 25 times over the last 6 years and it can be a little hit or miss. lately, the so and i have been splitting a salad, having an app, then a 1/2 portion of a couple pastas. kinda creating a mini tasting menu. it allows us to taste some different wines. i had that stacked hierloom tomato app a few times and really liked it. however, there were a couple different versions. i don't think i had one with too much basil.

they always do a good job with the fish entrees and the pizzas are indeed good.

I don't get down Kennett Square way too often but I will try Sovana again. I was only disappointed because of the great review in the Inquirer, and also the reputation of the chef from Django who I thought was pretty involved with the restaurant. I wonder if that is still true.

Someone just mentioned State Street Grill in KS to me and said they enjoyed their meal there. Anyone else been?

bryan sikora, (the ex chef owner of d'jango) has not been at sovana for at least a month as i understand it. he is pursuing a new venture.

i've been to state street grill once and was underwhelmed. but alot of people do like it.

percy- i just saw your shots of charcoal pit. i've been going there for like my whole life.a wilmington institution. what did you think?

Bill, Charcoal Pit is my go-to place if I am craving a good burger or shake. I like it...wish it was a bit closer to me :wink:

SaxChick, you are correct about whiteland towne center, I keep getting my strip malls confused.

Speaking of whiteland towne center, has anyone tried the Cheeseburger in Paradise that opened there recently?

Edited by percyn (log)

Natasha, Fioravanti's is a popular "don't feel like cooking today" stop for my wife and I. Also, asumming that the spinach was cooked/blanched, it should be safe.

Jeff, in addition to the restuarants that Natasha mentioned, your friends can visit Devi for a veg Indian place and Riverstone cafe which serves a decent brunch (both in the Marchwood shopping center in Exton). There is also the Drafting room, which has good food and quite a few beers on tap, along with a decent collection of Scotch. They also serve brunch on Sundays as does their sister restaurant the Brickside Grill.

For a more upscale dining experiencing, Birchrunville Cafe is not too far (in CHester Springs) and Duling Kurtz House (in exton).

Have them email me if they have any questions on these places.

Charlie...you are funny  :laugh:

Percy:

Thanks for these other places, I will forward them to our friends with the caveat "if Percy likes it, it will be good".

I've been to both Birchrunville Cafe and Duling Kurtz House and had excellent meals and service at each one. I've also been to the Drafting Room, great choice is he is a beer kindf of guy and if I recall they had lots on tap. I'm not exactly sure where they live now but I suspect it's not too far from any of these places. Thanks again Percy and for your offer to have them email you.

JL

Thanks for these other places, I will forward them to our friends with the caveat "if Percy likes it, it will be good".

Jeff, that is very kind, but the true warning should be "Percy likes it...so proceed with caution" :laugh: . Seriously though, have them try a few places and tell us which ones they like and the Chester County eG folks can point out similar restaurants.

Jeff, that is very kind, but the true warning should be "Percy likes it...so proceed with caution" :laugh: . Seriously though, have them try a few places and tell us which ones they like and the Chester County eG folks can point out similar restaurants.

Percy, I have seen what comes out of your kitchen and I think if you like a place, I'm there, no doubt about it.

They emailed me the other day and said they liked Gilmores in West Chester. I don't remember seeing anything about this place but I could have overlooked it. They seem to like it pretty much

Percy, I have seen what comes out of your kitchen and I think if you like a place, I'm there, no doubt about it.

They emailed me the other day and said they liked Gilmores in West Chester. I don't remember seeing anything about this place but I could have overlooked it. They seem to like it pretty much

I really like Gilmore's. We've been there many times. Beautiful atmosphere, great service and great food. Peter Gilmore was the luncheon chef at Le Bec Fin for 12 years. It's byob. Only problem is reserving for a weekend. They are usually booked more than a month in advance.

Gilmore's is pretty famous in the Burbs and on many of the "Best of..." lists. I used to frequent it quite a bit and have had some really good meals there and some OK meals.

If your friends like Gilmore's they will love Birchrunville Store Cafe in Chester Springs but the reservations will be just as hard if not harder to get and Majolica in Phoenixville.

Some other places with easier reservations (but perhaps not the same level of cusine) would be Duling Kurtz in Exton (not a BYO) and Avalon in West Chester.

Edited by percyn (log)

Gilmore's is pretty famous in the Burbs and on many of the "Best of..." lists. I used to frequent it quite a bit and have had some really good meals there and some OK meals.

If your friends like Gilmore's they will love Birchrunville Store Cafe in Chester Springs but the reservations will be just as hard if not harder to get and Majolica in Phoenixville.

Some other places with easier reservations (but perhaps not the same level of cusine) would be Duling Kurtz in Exton (not a BYO) and Avalon in West Chester.

Thanks, I've just forwarded this to them. We are planning to meet them out there in the next few weeks or so. I have been wanting to try Majolica so I'm leaning toward that.

Thanks, I've just forwarded this to them. We are planning to meet them out there in the next few weeks or so. I have been wanting to try Majolica so I'm leaning toward that.

If you can get a reservation, you owe it to yourself to try Birchrunville. Majolica is a very good restaurant, by all accounts - I haven't gotten there yet (Percy!). But the tasting menu at Birchrunville Store Cafe is one of the greatest meals I've had in years - and you know some of the competition.

Reading this is so funny, Duling-Kurtz was my cousin's house. I moved away long before it was sold and became a restaurant, but I have many fond memories of the times spent in and around the area. We raised hell as kids with nothing around to distract us except for swimming in the Blue Hole quarry in the summer. In those days we picked watercress from the creek for watercress sandwiches. I guess that wouldn't be safe anymore.

Reading this is so funny, Duling-Kurtz was my cousin's house.  I moved away long before it was sold and became a restaurant, but I have many fond memories of the times spent in and around the area.  We raised hell as kids with nothing around to distract us except for swimming in the Blue Hole quarry in the summer.  In those days we picked watercress from the creek for watercress sandwiches.  I guess that wouldn't be safe anymore.

I dunno: most of what I've read seems to say Pennsylvania waterways are cleaner today than they were back then: tighter regulations and less heavy industry.