• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Science in the professional kitchen

It seems to me that even though your book has been inspiring chefs since it was first published 20 years ago (Nico Ladenis is an example that readily springs to mind of an "early adopter" in the UK) the industry is only now beginning to get to grips with the idea of reviewing the accepted ways of doing things in the professional kitchen in light of scientific research.

What is your opinion of the industry in terms of how food is dealt with in kitchens currently and do you envisage major changes in the medium to longterm future?

I really haven’t spent much time in professional kitchens—I’ve been stuck in front of the computer to get this book finished! In fact I’m looking forward to getting out and seeing what’s up. But I guess I would say that with or without scientific research, cooks generally know what they’re doing—they know what works, and have done for a long time. Right now I have the feeling that science is contributing to a fresh perspective on cooking, so that it’s not so much going to improve traditional preparations as suggest new possibilities.