• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mashed root vegetables

amccomb

I'm branching out. Instead of mashed potatoes, I would like to try mashing some other root veggies. I see all sorts of recipes for them, from celery root to parsnips to turnips to sweet potatoes to carrots....so many that I feel a little lost. What are some good combinations? Any tips for making them absolutely silky? Should I add anything to them? Butter and cream, like for potatoes? Chicken stock?

Help me break new ground!

Rutabagas or Parsnips with potato. Yum, Lots of butter and rare roast beef. Blew my mother away with that one. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

parsnip/pear with cream

Sweet potato, orange zest, butter, milk and brown sugar

Sweet potato, butternut squash, butter, milk. this could be sweet or not. I like it with pure maple syrup mixed in though.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sweet potatoes and/or orange flesh squash (butternut/acorn . . .), butter a bit of cinnamon and/or ginger, brown sugar (the maple syrup Elie suggests is wonderful also). To silk it up a bit either dash of cream or OJ.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

two favorites:

celery root and potato puree, with cream, butter, s&p

jerusalem artichoke (sunchoke) puree with cream, butter, s&p

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

How would you prepare the jerusalem artichokes? Boil them until fork tender then rice them?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

How would you prepare the jerusalem artichokes? Boil them until fork tender then rice them?

I steam them until very soft. No need to peel them, just wash them well.

I puree them, as I like a fairly velvety texture, but ricing would likely work if you don't mind possibly noticing little bits of peel.

I also like to combine parsnips and potatoes, and find that nutmeg (just a little) is very nice (along with whatever else you'd like to use----cheddar cheese goes nicely with the nutmeg).

Can you pee in the ocean?

yup, ~ 20-30 min depending on size.

also, sometimes I add potato to the puree (jerusalem artichoke: potato, 2:1, w/w)

silly trivia: I tasted this dish first at a cooking class/demo by Ron Siegel (of Iron Chef fame).

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

yup, ~ 20-30 min depending on size.

also, sometimes I add potato to the puree (jerusalem artichoke: potato, 2:1, w/w)

silly trivia: I tasted this dish first at a cooking class/demo by Ron Siegel (of Iron Chef fame).

Sounds good. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

This is addictively delicious.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rutabaga-Sweet Potato Puree

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 1/2 lbs rutabaga -- peeled and diced

1 lb sweet potatoes -- peeled and diced

1 cup apple juice

3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

salt to taste

Place all in pressure cooker, cook at high pressure for 8 minutes. Release naturally or quick release. Puree with immersion blender and serve.

Source:

"Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure"

I like to steam rather than boil them, that way they don't get waterlogged. (Especially turnips & rutabega.) I love celeriac and potatoes together. Buttermilk makes a great mashing liquid.

I just roast 'em til tender. They tend to be a little sweeter that way.

"Success is the sum of alot of small things done correctly."

-- Fernand Point

Here's the recipe I'm making for Thanksgiving:

1 1/2 cups each of peeled and coarse diced carrots, turnips and rutabagas; 2 cups of peeled and coarse diced parsnips; and 1 medium sweet potato peeled and coarse diced. Don't worry if your proportions are somewhat different.

Bring a lot of water to a boil; add the vegetables and cook until tender (about 30-40 minutes). Drain. Puree the vegetables in a food processor until smooth. Add butter, heavy cream, brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste. I usually use about 1/2 stick of butter, 3 tablespoons of cream, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar - but it's a taste and texture thing - make it the way you like it. Process a bit more until smooth.

This recipe can be made in advance and refrigerated. It can be reheated in a 350 degree oven or the microwave. I've made it many times before - and it's yummy.

Robyn

Re: the texture thing

If you mush the mashed potatoes (or I suppose anything else) through a mesh strainer with a spatula once or twice, they get crazy smooth. It's almost like they become something else. Of course, a lot of butter/cream helps with the lubricity :biggrin:. I thought they would get pasty, but the mesh must incorporate enough air to keep things lovely.

I'd imagine this would work especially well for transforming the more fibrous root veggies into a smooth product.

Re: the texture thing

If you mush the mashed potatoes (or I suppose anything else) through a mesh strainer with a spatula once or twice, they get crazy smooth. It's almost like they become something else. Of course, a lot of butter/cream helps with the lubricity :biggrin:. I thought they would get pasty, but the mesh must incorporate enough air to keep things lovely.

I'd imagine this would work especially well for transforming the more fibrous root veggies into a smooth product.

I find that regular potatoes get gummy in a food processor - so I usually use a potato ricer. With the particular recipe I posted - since there aren't any regular potatoes - the food processor works just fine (and you need the oomph to break down the fibers in things like sweet potatoes). Sometimes - I'll put the mixture through the ricer - and then into the food processor if the texture isn't smooth enough. Kind of depends what mood I'm in :smile: . Robyn

I'm branching out.  Instead of mashed potatoes, I would like to try mashing some other root veggies.  I see all sorts of recipes for them, from celery root to parsnips to turnips to sweet potatoes to carrots....so many that I feel a little lost.  What are some good combinations?  Any tips for making them absolutely silky?  Should I add anything to them?  Butter and cream, like for potatoes?  Chicken stock? 

Help me break new ground!

Parsnips and Acorn or Butternut squash. Cut the squash in half, butter them and roast them. Peel and boil the parsnips. Heat cream until you get a bit of movement on top, add really good whole butter. (un-salted Lurpak is a good one).

For really silky rice the parsnips and squash first. Then add the cream slowly while whisking. Season with Sea Salt, fresh pepper and just chopped flat leaf parsley. Devour with a friend.

hot.chef

hot.chef@verizon.net

A savory example of the kind of dish you can create for yourself would be to cook a combination of carrots, rutabagas, and sweet potatoes in a very little clarified butter, in a pan covered with a tightly fitted cover. Toss well in the butter and season with salt. Cook slowly for approx. 25 minutes. Add no water or stock – just let them cook in their own steam – then purée and serve dusted with finely chopped herbs.

Lime oil is interesting in mashed potatoes. Star anise can be appealing with some root vegetables.

I have made cream of celeriac soup – and cream of rutabaga soup (includes butter, leeks, chicken stock, cream, and maple syrup).

Here’s a suitable griddle bread to serve with roast pork:

Jerusalem Artichoke & Sweet Potato Pancakes

Mix together: 2½ cups peeled, grated artichokes (drained from acidulated water); 1½ cups peeled, grated sweet potatoes; 1 cup diced onion; 3 Tbsp minced parsely; 1 tsp EACH caraway seeds & paprika; ¼ cup flour.

Add 2 lightly beaten eggs, salt & pepper, to taste.

Fry 2-3 minutes per side. Serve with sour cream & thick, spicy apple sauce.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

parsnip/pear with cream

Elie

Proportions on the parsnip/pear/cream? Sounds tempting.

I can't answer for Elie, but usually one or two pears is just about right. You don't want the pear flavor to be pronounced, but a bit subtle. A similar recipe in Chez Panisse Vegetables gives perhaps 4 or 5 sweet potatoes to 1 pear and about 1 1/2 cups combination half and half and/or light cream.

Soba