• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GE Profile Gas Range -- worth buying?

Busboy

After kicking the tires of the various candidate stoves at a few places, we went with the Bosch #HGS7052UC at Sears.

Unfortunately, they won't be able to deliver until Nov 24th.

Good thing I won't be hosting T-Giving this year.

Reports to follow.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

FWIW, I worked at a restaurant here in Edmonton that used three GE Profile ranges in lieu of a commercial range.

On the whole, they worked well in very heavy usage (five course meals, up to 80 covers a night) and were in general very reliable. We had a couple of incidents with oven doors crapping out - again, bear in mind the ultra-heavy usage - and the igniters will need to be replaced periodically, but for the beating they took they were surprisingly reliable.

I'd expect that for home use your experience would be just fine, though if you're confident enough with electrical wiring to replace your own igniters that would probably be a plus.

Edited by chromedome (log)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm fairly partial to my Dacor duel fuel, but it is admittedly, an expensive range. For an average price range, I don't think you can go wrong with a KitchenAid. They are some of the nicest oven's/cooktops I've worked with over the last few years.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I actually moved into a flat with GE Profile appliances (Gas Cooker/Oven, Fridge and Dishwasher). I only lived there for a couple of years but in that time I was VERY happy with the stove. Both the cooktops and the oven worked great, good controls, excellent heat retention in the oven, the whole thing. Since I didn't live there long (and the appliances were brand new), I can't speak to long-term performance (I used them a lot in the time I was there, though).

I also agree with everyone who complained about the dishwashers. Thing was a dog from day one. The only reason I didn't replace it was the landlord had to pay for all the repairs.

We own a Bosch HGS 242 gas range 9obviously, all the model numbers have changed) - bought it over a year ago, so I've got a bit of expereience under my belt!

I've had to replace one of the ignitors, and a loose fitting control knob (which Bosch sent me directly), but otherwise I'm very happy with the performance. I use the convection setting fairly frequently and it roasts a beautiful chicken! Once you dial in and tweak the oven temperature, which you can do with an oven thermometer, it keeps the temp perfectly.

At this price point (< $1200), I think it's a very good home range.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

After kicking the tires of the various candidate stoves at a few places, we went with the Bosch #HGS7052UC at Sears.

Unfortunately, they won't be able to deliver until Nov 24th.

Good thing I won't be hosting T-Giving this year.

Reports to follow.

I ordered my HDS7052U from Sears on October 18 for a delivery date of November 22nd, the day before Thanksgiving. If it does arrive on time it'll sit in the garage til after the holiday. I won't risk our turkey to a new appliance.

eje, I highly recommend that you download the "Installation Instructions" from here. The position of your gas valve coming out your kitchen floor is critical, or the range would not sit flush with the wall behind it.

• 3 weeks later...

Made the first dinner with the Bosch free standing gas range (HGS7052UC) last night. Gotta say I'm pleased.

The cooktop burners are such a change from our old stove, it's hard to believe.

The stainless cooktop is quite easy to clean.

Gave the convection roasting a try with some chicken breasts stuffed with Black Trumpet duxelles. Woo! What an effortless way to get to crisp golden brown skin and tender meat! I was a worried that the convection fan would be noisy, as I'd read some are. It is really pretty quiet.

Reducing the wine for the pan sauce is almost too fast.

I am going to enjoy having this stove!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I've had a GE profile for about 5 years, bought as a scratch and dent through my appliance repair man. Somehow, it was sans GE service, but he guaranteed it. To date, it's never needed repairs, though about 1" of the gasket cloth is a bit frayed a bit.

I'm not wild about some things about it: the simmer burner ONLY simmers, the oven burns a bit hot, but I adjust for it. The flame on the hot burner has a really annoying hot spot. The door window in my model is not only smaller than the current ones, but has a mesh that makes for bad visibility. Most of all, I'd rather have flush grates rather than individual raised ones. But when I read up on other stoves, I decide to stay with my known problems.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Made the first dinner with the Bosch free standing gas range (HGS7052UC) last night.  Gotta say I'm pleased.

The cooktop burners are such a change from our old stove, it's hard to believe.

The stainless cooktop is quite easy to clean.

Gave the convection roasting a try with some chicken breasts stuffed with Black Trumpet duxelles.  Woo!  What an effortless way to get to crisp golden brown skin and tender meat!  I was a worried that the convection fan would be noisy, as I'd read some are.  It is really pretty quiet.

Reducing the wine for the pan sauce is almost too fast.

I am going to enjoy having this stove!

I'm glad you got yours and are happy with it. In my case, Nov 22nd was postponed to Nov 29th and then to Dec 1st. Today the guy at Sears said: "Frankly, I don't know when you'll get your stove".

If had not paid cash for this, I'd be paying interest on something I don't yet have. :laugh: