• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cubanelle Peppers

robyn

My husband and I wanted to make a "tex mex" salad to accompany chili tonight. So we bought some peppers which were supposed to be "Cubanelle". They were light green - about 4-5 inches long - slim - and smooth. Touted as mild - between a green pepper and a jalapeno. Whatever we bought - they were killers. Burnt our mouths out (we used a quart of milk to put out the flames). And my poor husband didn't wash his hands before he went to to the bathroom. In a word - OUCH. Big OUCH. Poor guy. And I had a similar experience an hour later when I made the mistake of rubbing an eye with my hands. Anyway - does this sound like Cubanelle peppers? Or what other pepper would look like this - but be so potent? Note that I use jalapenos a fair amount - but have never had a problem like this with pepper oils left on hands. Any comments from pepper afficionados would be appreciated. Robyn

P.S. I know I'm behind in answering messages. They're in my "to do" box. And with no storms on the horizon - I'll get around to them soon.

That sounds like a Cubanelle, at least in its physical desription. But they could have also been hungarian peppers, which can be quite hot.

Its also possible to get hot Cubanelles if they are accidentally cross pollinated with a hot pepper, or if the plants underwent a lot of stress, which can produce higher capsaicin levels. The cross pollination thing can happen to any kind of sweet pepper that is grown in the same general area as hot peppers. I saw this happen in my own garden.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Those could have also been Serranos. Serranos are usually smaller than that, but are similar in shape to a jalepeno, just slimmer, and lighter green. Serranos can pack a bunch if you are unused to chiles, but it is usually cooler bite than a jalepeno, almost a bit of mint to it.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Robyn, my sympathy to you, your husband, and body parts.

It's interesting that you mention this now. For the past two or three weeks maybe, I've been seeing a greater selection of peppers in Publix. I've seen Poblanos that are beautiful and large enough for even me to stuff them and I bought some and did. I've also seen Cubanelles, but I will use caution if I buy any of them, thanks to your post. Another change besides the larger variety is that they are labeled, which is helpful to people like me who don't recognize what many peppers are beyond bells and jalapenos.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

That sounds like a Cubanelle, at least in its physical desription. But they could have also been hungarian peppers, which can be quite hot.

Its also possible to get hot Cubanelles if they are accidentally cross pollinated with a hot pepper, or if the plants underwent a lot of stress, which can produce higher capsaicin levels. The cross pollination thing can happen to any kind of sweet pepper that is grown in the same general area as hot peppers. I saw this happen in my own garden.

Were they locally grown, Robyn? And if so, Jason: would the hurricanes have put the peppers under stress?

I have a trick for testing peppers before I buy them: make a little slit with a fingernail just under the calyx (where the stem attaches to the fruit). That gets me just enough juice to get a sting (or not). Robyn, try that next time. And in the meantime, yogurt also helps. :sad:

Edited to add: Susan (and everyone else): if you can find a copy of The Pepper Lady's Pocket Pepper Primer by Jean Andrews, ISBN 0-292-70467-4, published by the University of Texas Press, you will never fear peppers again! This book is a font of information, with life-sife color photos of about 50 different peppers in fresh and dried forms, with descriptions of size, color, shape, flesh, pungency -- and other names used, and possible substitutes. And lots more. This is just a terrific resource.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Thanks, Suzanne. That would be a good reference for me, as we are developing more of a taste for them than we used to have. They are much more a part of Florida style food and our cooking now than during our previous life up north.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

You can also go to Graeme Caselton's web site as he has the largest database on the web that has photos and descriptions of chiles from all parts of the world.

U.K. Chile-Head

There are wonderful photos. Just click on any letter in the top of the page and you will get an alphabetized list of all the peppers whose names start with that letter and the many variations in names when a pepper is grown in many countries.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page under "C" you will find the Cubanelle.

scroll up just a bit and you will come to the "Crimson Hot" which is the very hot version of the Anaheim (which are fairly mild).

When still green but just beginning to ripen, they are a dead ringer for the Cubanelle and several weeks back Vallarta supermarket had a batch that was indeed labeled Cubanelle. Wow, were they hot when one was expecting a mild, sweet flavor.

They were as hot as the Caloro that I grow which can vary from mildly hot, grown in the kitchen garden, to very hot, grown out in the big garden where they get more sun, wind and not as much irrigation.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cross pollination as described here is a myth. Pepper plants will grow true to their seeds. The next generation of seeds are where the problem will occur. Cross pollination may be evident if you save seeds for planting next year.

I would bet on mislabeling.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

OK - here's the offending pepper.

tn_gallery_13301_251_1098139949.jpg

Doesn't really look like a cubanelle because I read a description that says a cubanelle has ridges like a green pepper. Saw a picture too. This pepper was smooth - no ridges (although it's been in the refrigerator for a while now and is a bit dehydrated and wrinkled). Any additional ideas after looking at the picture? Robyn

That appears to be a caribbean "banana" pepper which is related to the hungarian "hot wax" pepper. Mildly to Medium hot, although it is possible to have particularly hot specimens if the plants are stressed. They frequently make hot sauce out of it and it is also used for pickling. Common to Jamaica, Trinidad/Tobago and other islands.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

thats appears to be a caribbean "banana" pepper which is related to the hungarian "hot wax" pepper. VERY hot. They frequently make hot sauce out of it. Common to Jamaica, Trinidad/Tobago and other islands.

Are you sure? Here's a bigger picture. Sorry for the 2 pictures - but this is the first time I've uploaded and used pictures under the new software - and I'm trying to get my settings straight. Thought that the first picture was a little small for a 100% positive ID of the culprit. We want to be 100% sure before we cuff this little fella and send him to jail :smile: . Thanks for the ID. Robyn

gallery_13301_251_1098140735.jpg

Robyn, my sympathy to you, your husband, and body parts.

It's interesting that you mention this now.  For the past two or three weeks maybe, I've been seeing a greater selection of peppers in Publix.  I've seen Poblanos that are beautiful and large enough for even me to stuff them and I bought some and did.  I've also seen Cubanelles, but I will use caution if I buy any of them, thanks to your post.  Another change besides the larger variety is that they are labeled, which is helpful to people like me who don't recognize what many peppers are beyond bells and jalapenos.

I guess I might have suspected trouble at Publix when I asked the produce person about the pepper - and he started looking it up in the produce "crib sheet" (where the pictures are even worse than mine). Many more peppers at Publix - but the labels over the peppers might not necessarily be correct. To Publix - "A" for effort - "F" for execution. Still - if we don't support the efforts - all we'll be left with is green bell peppers (and the bread slices that you can compress into a ball smaller than a golf ball). So we will endeavor to persevere (or - fill in the cliche of your choice). While remembering to use gloves as a precautionary measure with these new-fangled peppers!. Robyn

Were they locally grown, Robyn? And if so, Jason: would the hurricanes have put the peppers under stress?

I have a trick for testing peppers before I buy them: make a little slit with a fingernail just under the calyx (where the stem attaches to the fruit). That gets me just enough juice to get a sting (or not). Robyn, try that next time. And in the meantime, yogurt also helps.  :sad: ...

And what do you do with the juice? Hopefully not rub it in your eyes <sigh>. Or on your private parts <ouch>. My hands are pretty tough - and these peppers didn't bother us until they got in touch with various mucous membranes (including my mouth).

Thanks for the tip about yogurt. Should have remembered that (that's why one eats raita with Indian food - and we always have yogurt in the refrigerator). Robyn

Definitely looks like the banana pepper to me. We grow both the hot and sweet varieties every year. And the hots can absolutely be fiery enough to make a hot salsa, or damage tender mucous membranes and tissues.

Just a couple of notes -- if you've never had any problem with oil heat from a jalapeno perhaps they haven't been very hot. Wide range of heat in those also.

And Serranos register higher on the heat scale than jalapenos.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

...Just a couple of notes -- if you've never had any problem with oil heat from a jalapeno perhaps they haven't been very hot. Wide range of heat in those also.

And Serranos register higher on the heat scale than jalapenos.

Perhaps another reason is they're small - I make a couple of big cuts - throw them into the mini-chopper - and scrap them out with a spatula :smile: . Robyn

I grew "banana peppers" one year. I was in a new house and the garden soil was sandy and pretty poor as I hadn't had a chance to build up a compost system as yet. It was also a relatively hot and dry summer and keeping the garden watered with the sandy soil with insufficient organic matter was a real challenge. I picked some of the peppers and brought them in to slice to put in a salad. Several folks were standing around in the kitchen as they usually do. Well... No sooner had I taken the first whack with the knife than the kitchen cleared out! Including me! These things were WMDs! :laugh: I even mess with haberneros and I have yet to have an experience quite like that.

Robyn... Your pepper looks exactly like those little bombs.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This once happened to me but with Thai Bird Eyes.

This once happened to me with RED SAVINA Habaneros!

Perhaps another reason is they're small - I make a couple of big cuts - throw them into the mini-chopper - and scrap them out with a spatula  :smile: .  Robyn

Wise choice, robyn. :wink: That's how I do it most of time when I don't need those pretty little slices. But beware that first aromatic rush when you open the lid.

You know, after stuffing 48 jalapenos in a camping situation (not just for us -- we were having a party) I learned that dirt isn't the only thing that gets ground in. :shock:

Call me a wuss -- Our red habaneros are so intense I just wear gloves now. The same when I prep hundreds of Tabascos at a time for sauce. Hey, if I were a full wuss I'd have a breather mask. :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

This once happened to me with RED SAVINA Habaneros!

Why does this exchange sound to me like... "my dog is meaner than your dog" ???

I'll see you those habaneros and raise you my bananas. :laugh:

Yes, Judith... Gloves are definitely indicated for intensive pepper work. I can often get by with it for a few, but if I am doing a bunch for pickling or such, the gloves are a big benefit. ONe thing I really don't get... I have had a "long term warm" on my hands from not so hot poblanos more often than not. I don't get it. It makes me wonder if there are differences in the capsaicin or oil content or something.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Why does this exchange sound to me like... "my dog is meaner than your dog" ???

I'll see you those habaneros and raise you my bananas.  :laugh:

It is a very traumatising event. We were simply sharing in each other's pain in attempts to make an emotional and mental recovery. Like a support group! :biggrin:

-- Jason