• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your impressions of foods of the Southeast

Thank you so much for joining us here at eGullet to share your formidable wisdom about various culinary endeavors. I am always excited to read your newest books and am loathe to part with each until a newer one comes along!

I realize that you have been to, dined in, and written about, numerous cities and countries but my question is primarily about the food you have eaten in the southeastern United States.

What is your overall impression of the foods served in this region?

Does any one single city stand out in your mind as having something unique and memorable?

Perhaps a specific dish you have enjoyed here?

Thanks, in advance, for any impressions you might be able to share!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I have not done much eating in the southeast in recent years with the expcetion of a recent visit to Charleston where I loved the authentic-tasting, but slightly stylish version of local cuisine at the Hominy Grill..especially their shrimp and grits. But of course I know the dishes of that cuisine and consider it a very egelant one ven when done in ruistic ways - sort of French-informed with things such as she-crab soup and the various uses of curry. There wre also good modernized versions in the restaurant of the Plantation Inn where I stayed. Like New Orleans food, the success of this food depends on the ingredients, many of whch can only be had locally. And all along that coast, I love the steamed shellfish spiced with crab boil.

I have to agree with you on your shrimp-and-grits comments, Ms. Sheraton! And I also have said some of the same things from time to time about

the success of this food depends on the ingredients, many of whch can only be had locally.

Thanks for your reply!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"