• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Dates

msphoebe

Stopped by the Asian market yesterday to pick up some things...the manager was bringing out cases of round, greenish-brown fruits. I asked what they were and the answer -- fresh dates -- surprised me! A far cry from the brown chunks of dates shrink-wrapped and packed in a cardboard carton.

Now tell me...how are these eaten? Peeled? Cooked? Roasted? And with what would you serve them?

TIA

I not familiar with greenish brown dates. The fresh dates that we have in Israel are a very light brown. As far as I know, we just eat them as is. I have never had any dishes that included fresh dates. All of the stuffed dishes call for dried dates.

We are serving stuffed dates with lamb as an appetizer for my wedding pre-reception.

Thanks for your reply. I found a website that explains why these dates are green with brown spots...they are (of course!) picked before they are ripe...and the brown spots indicate ripening is in progress. Apparently they don't continue to ripen after they are picked and are eaten as-is???

Here is a photo: http://www.canoe.ca/HGGardening0310/10_jujubes-ap.html

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jujube.html

Edited by msphoebe (log)

• 3 years later...

I was in my favorite middle eastern market this morning to pick up some tahina. Of course I left with that, plus some date paste, some chick peas, fava beans and some of the 'spun halva' that was discussed earlier this year. I also picked up another one of the little shapers for felafal. The owner loves to talk about food with me, and is always giving me things to try.

So today he gave me a fresh date to try. It was very interesting, crunchy - which I didn't expect, and of course very sweet.

So, besides eating them out of hand, what else do you do with fresh dates?

I was in my favorite middle eastern market this morning to pick up some tahina.  Of course I left with that, plus some date paste, some chick peas, fava beans and some of the 'spun halva' that was discussed earlier this year.  I also picked up another one of the little shapers for felafal.  The owner loves to talk about food with me, and is always giving me things to try. 

So today he gave me a fresh date to try.  It was very interesting, crunchy - which I didn't expect, and of course very sweet. 

So, besides eating them out of hand, what else do you do with fresh dates?

Almost as simple as eating out of hand, but they are a simple and wonderful addition to cheese platters. We just had some great Medjool dates with some Roaring Forties blue cheese and some toasted walnuts...

If you're lucky enough to have a variety of dates, it is also wonderful to compare different types. At the SF Farmers market at the right time there can be as many 5 differeint varieties available and they have an amazing array of flavors.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Are they the hard yellow ones? If so, we stick the whole bunch in the freezer and the following day you can eat them a few mins after taking them out. They are not nice without doing this. This is exactly the season for them and are served during this  holiday season.

They were indeed hard and yellow. I'll try the freezing trick.

Try making date ice cream. Use about 1 lb fresh dates for a recipe yielding about 1 1/2 qts of ice cream. Puree half the dates and add to the ice cream base as it's cooking. Chop up the other half of the dates and add to the ice cream after it's churned in the ice cream maker but before you harden it in the freezer. You can substitute brown sugar for the granulated sugar in the ice cream base. A touch of vanilla extract is nice too.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Try making date ice cream. Use about 1 lb fresh dates for a recipe yielding about 1 1/2 qts of ice cream. Puree half the dates and add to the ice cream base as it's cooking. Chop up the other half of the dates and add to the ice cream just before you freeze it. You can substitute brown sugar for the granulated sugar in the ice cream base. A touch of vanilla extract is nice too.

Sounds good.

I found them in the market today. It's a great substiture for guavas for me. I love eating half-ripe guavas (green ones that still has a crunchy bite to them), dipped in rock salt.

Here are my dates and my salt pot.

gallery_48583_3741_56621.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Those look like jujubes ("Chinese dates") which are from a deciduous tree, vs the other kind of date which comes from a palm tree (medjool, barhi, etc). I don't believe I've ever seen a fresh palm date up close and personal.

I like jujubes fresh. Tho they are not exciting, they are pleasant. I'll have to try the freezer trick.

There's more here: fresh ju ju be topic

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Thanks for the photo. I can tell I'm going to have to make a trek to Indio (Date Capital of the USA) in the appropriate season, and track me down some fresh dates. I've had relatively fresh barhi dates before but not so very fresh they were still yellow!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Parboil some yams, cut them up add the dates and some brown sugar and sautee in butter for a nice side dish.

Or better yet, infuse some grappa with them.

If we get too deep into infusion, we'll have to switch topics, but... fresh dates infused in grappa? Would this work with dried dates? Do you drink the grappa or eat the dates? Should I take grappa with me when I trek to Indio?