• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sukkot food

jackal10

What food do you associate with Sukkot?

The only one my family made were cinnamon biscuits, but I know not why they were associated with this festival

I believe it was something to eat in the Succah when guests called not at a meal time.

We also hung fruit and produce from the green leafy ceiling of the Succah.

One of the most charming traditions about dining on Succoth is that there are no traditions, this being one of the holidays that is associated primarily with dining in the Succah on whatever dishes most please at the moment. Following is a brief expose about two meals I had several years ago and the recipes from those meals. Hope they prove useful.

+++++

Several years ago I was in Europe during the entire week of Succoth, and was invited to share holiday meals with two families, the Levis of Rome and the Cohen-Barthes of Paris. Even though these families do not know each other, both were true to the spirit of the holiday in that the meals they served were based heavily on the use of fresh fruits and vegetables. In both cases the company I shared was stimulating and delightful and the meals served were excellent and the daughters of the families beautiful. Following are the recipes for the dishes served at both of those meals. The recipes are designed to serve 6. Because neither of the families I visited keeps kosher, some of the recipes combine meat and dairy products. Changing these recipes to kosher versions will present no problem at all.

SUCCOTH IN ROME

Goose Breast and Melon

3 medium honeydew or canteloupe melons, well chilled

18 very thin slices smoked goose breast, rolled up

Halve the melons and discard the seeds. Cut each half into 4 equal slices and then remove the rind.

On each of 6 serving plates distribute 4 slices of melon and 3 slices of the rolled goose breast. (One may substitute green or purple figs for the melon). If not served immediately, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve well chilled.

Stuffed Tomatoes

6 medium tomatoes, ripe but firm

1 1/2 cup cooked rice

150 gr. cooked veal, diced

3 anchovy fillets, chopped

3/4 tsp. oregano

salt and pepper to taste

3 Tbsp. olive oil

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped

Remove the top 1/4 of the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Drain the excess liquid and chop the pulp. In a small mixing bowl combine the pulp, rice, veal, anchovies, oregano and salt and pepper. In a small jar combine the oil and lemon juice and pour this over the rice and meat mixture. Allow to stand 1 hour and then add the mayonnaise and mix gently. With this mixture re-fill the tomato shells. Serve cold, sprinkling over with the parsley just before serving.

Consomme with Egg

3 Tbsp. butter

1 Tbsp. olive oil

6 slices Italian bread or baguette

6 eggs, poached lightly

4 cups chicken or beef consomme

salt and pepper to taste

In a skillet melt the butter and the olive oil and in this saute the bread until golden on both sides. Transfer the bread slices to individual bowls and on each place a poached egg. Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper to taste and then pour over very hot consomme. Serve immediately. (Serves 4). (Note: Italians traditionally sprinkle the eggs with grated Parmesan cheese before pouring over the soup, but this can be eliminated for the purposes of kashrut).

Veal with Marsala Wine

3 Tbsp. flour

1 1/2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped

1 tsp. dried oregano

about 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper

1 1/2 Tbsp. each olive oil and butter

1 1/2 kilos very thin veal scallops, in 6 portions

1 cup Marsala wine or dry sherry

1/2 cup chicken stock

In a shallow bowl combine the flour, parsley, oregano and salt and pepper, and then pound this seasoned flour lightly into the veal pieces, coating well.

In a heavy skillet heat the olive oil and margarine and in this brown the veal on both sides. Add the Marsala and let the meat cook for 1 - 2 minutes longer. Transfer the veal to a preheated serving dish. To the pan add the stock and with a wooden spatula scrape to loosen the drippings from the pan. Pour this gravy over the veal and serve immediately.

Fried Peppers

12 sweet red or green peppers

2 eggs, well beaten

salt and pepper to taste

olive oil for frying

Wash, core and cut the peppers into eighths. Season the beaten eggs with salt and pepper and into this dip the peppers and then fry in at least 1 cm. of hot oil until golden brown.

Spinach with Anchovies

3/4 kilo spinach, picked over and washed well

2 Tbsp. butter

1 Tbsp. olive oil

4 cloves garlic, chopped

4 - 6 anchovy fillets, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

In a large heavy skillet heat the margarine and olive oil. Add the spinach and garlic, cover and cook over a high flame until it begins to steam. Reduce the flame and simmer until tender (5 - 6 minutes). Correct the seasoning, stir in the anchovies and serve hot.

Zabaglioni Custard

8 eggs, separated

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup Marsala or Madeira wine

Mix together the egg yolks and sugar and beat until very light. Place this mixture in the top of a double boiler over but not in boiling water, taking care that the bottom of the pot with the ingredients does not come in contact with the water. With a wire whisk beat until the custard is foamy and then add, gradually, while continuing to beat, the wine. Continue to beat until the custard has doubled in volume and begins to thicken. Remove from the heat.

Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold these into the custard. Serve while still warm in wine or sherbet glasses.

SUCCOTH IN PARIS

Potatoes in Mustard Sauce

3 Tbsp. olive oil

1 Tbsp. each vinegar and sugar

6 spring onions, whites only, diced

1 clove garlic, chopped

1/2 tsp. powdered mustard

salt and pepper to taste

6 medium potatoes

1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped, for garnish

In a small mixing bowl combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, spring onions, garlic, mustard and salt and pepper. Cover and let stand at room room temperature for 1 - 2 hours.

In a kettle with lightly salted boiling water cook the potatoes until done but still firm. Remove from the water and peel. Let the potatoes cool until lukewarm and cut into bite-sized cubes. With a wire whisk, whisk the oil and vinegar mixture well and then immediately pour this over the potatoes. Sprinkle over the par- sley just before serving.

Consomme Madrilene

2 cups chicken consomme or strained

vegetable stock

2 cups tomato juice

1 tsp. onion, grated

rind from 1/2 small lemon

salt and pepper to taste

dry sherry to taste

In a saucepan combine all of the ingredients except the sherry and heat just to boiling. Strain the mixture and flavor with the dry sherry. Correct the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.

Breaded Sole in Wine

3 thick sole, about 675 gr. each

salt and pepper to taste

3/4 cup butter, melted

6 shallots or the white parts of 8 spring onions, chopped

2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped

1 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs

3/4 cup dry vermouth lemon wedges for garnish

Remove the skins and clean the fish, making an incision along the bone. Salt and pepper the fish and then dip into the melted butter. Grease a heatproof casserole dish and sprinkle the chopped shallots and parsley in the bottom. On this place the fish and sprinkle the upper sides with breadcrumbs. Over this pour the vermouth. Bake in a hot oven until the breadcrumbs are browned.

Remove the fish to a preheated serving platter and set aside to keep warm. Let the liquids in the casserole boil until reduced to 3/4 of the original volume, remove from the flame and add the butter. Swirl in well and then pour this sauce over the fish. Serve immediately garnished with lemon wedges.

Green Peas with Onions

1 medium romaine lettuce

3/4 kilo frozen peas (may use frozen)

1 bouquet garni made by thing together 3 sprigs of parlsey, and 1 bay leaf

6 spring onions, cut in 5 cm. lengths

3/4 cup butter

1 Tbsp. sugar

salt and pepper to taste

1 Tbsp. flour (if needed)

Shred the lettuce coarsely and place it in a heavy saucepan with the sugar, bouquet garni, spring onions and half the butter. Cover and simmer over a low flame, shaking occasionally, until the lettuce is wilted (about 20 minutes). Add the peas, stir well but gently, cover again and continue to simmer just until the peas are tender. Remove from the heat.

Discard the bouquet garni. If the peas are dry add the remaining butter, shaking the pan until the butter is melted and evenly distributed. If there is too much liquid in the pot mix the remainng butter with the flour and add this to the mixture, shaking occasionally over a low flame until the liquids thicken. Correct the seasoning and serve.

Glazed Carrots

3/4 kilo large carrots, sliced

3 Tbsp. butter

1 Tbsp. sugar

about 1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped

In a shallow saucepan or skillet combine the carrots with the butter, sugar and salt and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the flame and simmer, uncovered, until the carrots are nearly tender (8 - 12 minutes). Bring to a rapid boil until the liquid has evaporated and a glaze has formed. Be sure that the sugar does not caramelize. Correct the seasoning and immediately before serving garnish with the chopped mint.

Orange Mousse

3 Tbsp. Cointreau or other orange liqueur

the peel of 3 oranges, grated

the peel of 1/2 lemon, grated

the juice of 4 oranges, strained

6 eggs, separated

1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. cornflour

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup sweet cream, chilled and whipped stiff

mint leaves for garnish

Pour the liqueur into a measuring cup and to this add the grated orange and lemon peel. Pour over just enough of the orange juice so that the contents measures 2 cups.

In a mixing bowl beat together the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar until the mixture is pale yellow in color. Beat in the cornflour and then the orange juice mixture. Pour the mixture into a heavy saucepan and, stirring constantly, cook over a medium flame until the mixture is heated through but not yet thickened, taking care that a simmer is not obtained. Remove from the heat and beat for 30 seconds.

In a separate bowl beat together the egg whites and salt until soft peaks are formed. Sprinkle in the remaining sugar and beat until the mixture is stiff. Fold the egg whites into the hot orange mixture and then refrigerate until well chilled, folding occasionally with a rubber spatula.

Fold the stiffly beaten cream into the mousse, transfer to individual dessert cups and chill for 3 - 4 hours. Immediately before serving garnish with the mint leaves.

The only traditional dish I can think of is geviltike kroyt, stuffed cabbage. But this is really more traditional at Simchat Torah which is attached to the end of the holiday. The linkage is that the shape of the stuffed cabbage rolls are likened to the shape of Torah scrolls.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My menu doesn't compare to Sukkot in Rome or Paris!

I always use Sukkot as a chance to switch my menus over to fall/winter cuisine! This year we aren't having our own sukkah, but I have offered to cook dinner a couple of nights when we visit friends in their sukkah.

Night One:

The last of the garden tomatoes with pine nuts, shaved fennel, scallions, and a balsamic dressing

Beef in a Pot -- Chuck roast braised in a sweet, spicy and sour beef broth with potatoes, cabbage, onion and tomato.

Filled onion rolls (a joy to make, and quite impressive)

Scalloped apples with cinnamon and a bit 'o rum and sponge cake.

Night three:

French onion soup -- with soy cheese, alas, but my soup is still the easiest and best I've ever had!

Challah, Challah, and more Challah. (Nobody on Atkins here!)

Meatloaf stuffed with hard boiled eggs, olives, and anchovies and topped with a tomato/vinager/ caper sauce. (Thank G-d for the eruv tavshilin!)

Roasted garlic and carmelized onion mashed potatoes

Steamed carrots a la fine herb

Baked apples stuffed with couscous, nuts, raisins and honey.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I always use Sukkot as a chance to switch my menus over to fall/winter cuisine! 

Weather permitting, and without the stifling heat and humidity as factors, I always make meals which are festive, richly colorful, and warming ... unless, as it has happened here in the South, the temperature is in the 80's, even 90's :shock: ... which is actually not uncommon ...

but, on a chilly night, I always begin with my Molly Katzen favorite: Gypsy Soup ...

here is the recipe

I love the reds, golds, oranges, and greens in it and the chickpeas bob merrily on the surface ... highly autumnal ...

My Sukkot meals always revolve around colorful fruits and vegetables ... 'tis the season, you know! :laugh: Gold acorn squash stuffed with cranberries and oranges ... purple aubergines ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Aiden:  Can  you post the recipe for your onion rolls?

Ellen: I will gladly post the recipe -- but please forgive me if I don't do it until after the holidays/Shabbat.

I made 16 loaves of bananna bread yesterday (early) morning to take to hosts of our local "Sukkah Hop". We made it to all of the sukkot save one -- we just couldn't cram in one more sukkah! Byt he end of the day, people were a little slap happy...making up "Sukkah Carols" (Shake! Shake! Shake! Shake you lulav! Shake your lulav!)...tripping on the sugar overload. Have I mentioned that Sukkot is my favorite holiday of the year?

Next year, with the holidays so late, we are going to buy one of those outdoor fireplaces for warmth -- and possibly s'mores!

Hag Sameach, Y'all.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Three more days to go (since it runs into shabbos).

Am I the only one entertaining? We're hosting lunch on Thursday - 3 couples, 2 toddlers and 1 infant. All I know is I'm making a corned beef and some type of chicken dish.

I need a vacation.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

• 11 months later...

Why do you think there aren't many/any sukkot traditions? I mean... there's been plenty of time for traditions to form... and if there's any group that's all about the food traditions, it's our group. Nu?

Why do you think there aren't many/any sukkot traditions? 

I think one of the (many) reasons might be that people traditionally (no pun intended actually...) work hardest on the bigger, more visible, holidays of the Jewish year: Rosh Hashonah, Yom Kippur break-the-fasts, Passover ... not as many are focussed on Sukkot, I think. Which is a pity because it is a lovely eight day festival/holiday wherein we eat outside and all manner of meats, fruits, and vegetables, wine are served in the many meals thoughout the week ... I happen to enjoy Sukkot (when it is rain free and cool) ...

I think one of the (many) reasons might be that people traditionally (no pun intended actually...)

:biggrin: uh huh.

My personal memories of Sukkot, sadly, are mostly of when I was in school. Each class took it's turn filing out of the school and into the Sukkah where we all got jiggy with the lulav and etrog, had some juice and an Oreo knock-off (kosher of course).

More vivid memories are of the decorating than the eating... though also food related. The old cranberry and popcorn strings we worked on in the synagogue for the sukkah there.

I wonder if it is the weather (in these parts) that have stopped Sukkot from being a 'big' holiday. The leaves are already changing colour here and falling off the trees - by the time Sukkot rolls around we can have snow. It's tough having an outdoorsy holiday north of the 49th parallel.

Should my Sukkot column focus on soups that we can all drink out of a thermos? :wink:

Thanks Michelle. As Jason posted in another topic, it's not so easy to buy etrogim in these parts for cooking. I'd love to be able to try some etrog recipes. Is the taste that different from a lemon? Can I duplicate it in any way? (Maybe a mix of lemon and lime?)

I read somewhere that Sukkot was like the Jewish version of Thanksgiving. It makes sense to make fruits and vegetables the stars of the mean.

I'll check out the link ;)

Thanks Michelle.  As Jason posted in another topic, it's not so easy to buy etrogim in these parts for cooking.  I'd love to be able to try some etrog recipes.  Is the taste that different from a lemon?  Can I duplicate it in any way? (Maybe a mix of lemon and lime?) 

I read somewhere that Sukkot was like the Jewish version of Thanksgiving.  It makes sense to make fruits and vegetables the stars of the mean.

I'll check out the link ;)

It does taste different. My suggestion would be to try and find very thick skinned lemons and do not cut off all of the pith. The truth is I am not that crazy about etrog jam. The ones I have tried have had too much pectin in them.

I do get some excellent mixed citrus marmalade from someone from Ashdod. He sells his jams at a food fair every Thursday and Friday. It has grapefruit, orange, lemon and pomelo. Maybe you could try making something like that. He carmelizes the fruit before he makes the marmelade. It is delicious.

Also try recipes with quince if you can find it in Toronto. Very popular for Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Seems a bit strange to be discussing Sukkot already when we have yet to experience the pleasures of Rosh Hashonah and the somewhat unusual pleasures of Yom Kippur (break-the-fast really) ... :wink:

but, for the faint of heart who are anxious about waiting until the last minute:

a treasure trove of typically Sukkot recipes :biggrin:

Any dish incorporating the harvest of one’s own region is appropriate for Sukkot, but particularly those which feature a number of ingredients within, like stuffed vegetables, fruits, and main-dish pies -- miniature cornucopia symbolizing the plenty with which we have been blessed and for which we hope throughout the coming new year. This concept is seen in the Ashkenazic tradition of serving kreplach or stuffed cabbage during this holiday and the Sephardic tradition of serving couscous, with its accompanying variety of vegetables and toppings... the sukkah, the temporary hut constructed to symbolize the wanderings in the desert by the Children of Israel and in which as many meals as possible are eaten during the eight-day holiday (one week in Israel).

Seems a bit strange to be discussing Sukkot already when we have yet to

Sorry - my fault. I need to be thinking about and trying out recipes a good month to a month and a half before they are actually here.

At least it's not like Passover was for this year - I invited people over and had a seder meal in December - all so that I could get my recipes in to a magazine.

But isn't it nice to be thinking ahead? :wink:

and thanks for the link!

Edited by Pam R (log)

It's traditional to eat foods that reflect the autumn harvest on Sukkot. Additional, many people eat stuffed foods made with chopped or "beaten" fillings because of the way we "beat" the lulav during the prayer for rain.

You should take a look at The Essential Book of Jewish Festival Cooking by Phyllils Glazer and Miriyam Glazer. It has some interesting information.

Why do you think there aren't many/any sukkot traditions?

Because the women were already burnt out from the RH prep. :raz:

On Sukkot there is such a major emphasis placed on "where" we eat, that "what" we eat is almost irrelevant. Whatever you're eating -- even if it has maple syrup on it :laugh: -- just make sure you eat it in the Sukkah! And that means breakfast, lunch and dinner, so we're talking about a lotta food here. It's also a seven day holiday. So, you get the idea. The specifics of "what" seems to have totally given way to the importance of place. So this is really an opportunity to get the creative cooking juices flowing, so to speak, as there doesn't seem to be any real food tradition to stick with (or rebel against.) Just eat!

• 4 weeks later...

Time to pop up this thread, with maybe comments on edible decorations.

Traditionally (well in my tradition anyway) the Sukkah is decorated with fruit and vegetables, preferably home grown, hanging from the leafy ceiling. Pomegranites also.

Claudia Roden (may she be blessed) talks about chicken soup with kreplach for the last day of the feast, and in the sephardic tradition talks about caramelised almnds, couscous for the first day, maakoude with chicken in the week and broad bean soup on the sixth day.

Edited by jackal10 (log)