• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Pie

B Edulis

On NPR the other day, they had an interview with someone from the University of Minnesota.  He helped develop a relatively new variety called the Honey Crisp (not to be confused with Golden Crisp).

I've used the Honey Crisp in two pies so far - an apple in phyllo tart and also an apple-prune-armagnac tart - delicious in both.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Northern Spy on those rare occasions I can find them here; I used them when I was in NYC. Gold Rush in Philadelphia from a local orchard, and Grannies when those are all gone. I'm not such a purist as to give up apple tarts in winter. :wink:

But of all apples, Gold Rush rules. When the season winds down, I buy a bushel and store them in a spare fridge. I also freeze up a few fresh ciders, too. They keep well til Thanksgiving. This year I may make a few apple dishes and freeze them.

Today, pre Gold Rush, I bought a mixed bunch: some Russets, Stellar, and Royalty from North Star Orchard. Some of them will go into the first tart of the season which I will probably not embellish with much more than sealing the dough with preserves and sprinkling the top with sugar and a bit of butter.

Any advice on what would freeze well. I'm guessing apple cakes in Bundt form. Would it be best with pies/tarts to bake them first? partially bake them and finish off after freezing? I can't imagine they'd be very good if simply defrosted before eating.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

• 1 year later...

Here is a nice summary of some suggested apples varieties for apple pie from Oregon: click

Peter Wolf mentioned the Belle de Boskoop apples in another thread on Honey Crisp Apples. There is a nice recipe for Dutch Apple Pie and a discussion of it variants in accompanying articles if you follow the link above.

The only one of these apples I've ever tasted are Gravensteins...

Belle de Boskoop: A large rough-skinned apple; red and pale yellow-green with a brown russet extending from the base. Crisp, juicy flesh, with a very tart, almost spicy flavor. Most people find the Belle too tart for eating out of hand, but it's ideal for pies and makes unbelievable applesauce. However, it's not a variety that's grown on a large scale, and the season is short.

Bramley: British cooks consider this the best cooking apple. Bright green skin with a little blush; pumpkin-shaped; very tart flesh. Keeps its firm structure when cooked.

Calville Blanc d'Hiver: French in origin, possibly dating as far back as the 1500s. Distinctive, somewhat plump, pumpkin-like shape; pale green skin with a pink blush. The flesh is tender, fine-textured and yellowish white; the flavor is tart-sweet and very aromatic. Enjoy the Calville raw or use in pies, desserts and other hot dishes.

Cox Orange Pippin: A classic British apple variety that's widely available. It has attractive orange-red skin, juicy flesh and a complex, aromatic, tart-sweet flavor. Great to eat raw and a good choice as a cooking apple.

Gravenstein: A medium-large apple, with yellow or green skin and red stripes. The flesh is crisp, juicy and rather tart. A Northwest favorite that's easily available, though early in the season.

Spitzenburg: A medium-large apple with beautiful red-orange skin. Possibly originated in Germany. Firm, juicy, yellow flesh with a lovely tart taste. Great for pies.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hi,

We like a combination of Melrose and Gold Rush for apple pie. Actually we love the Gold Rush apples for everything.

We used to get wonderful Caville Blanc apples but our grower retired. In Central Illinois they had to pick it before it was really ripe and it carried wonderful acidity. I once read an article in Saveur describing the wonderful flavor of an old Caville Blanc. I was really confused.

Tim

Interesting that there hasn't been as many advocates for the Granny Smith than I would have anticipated for a discussion on apple pie. I'm lucky to live not far from the heart of apple country in Washington State-and we tend to use the Granny Smith in our pies.

We like to say that Washington is the number one producer of apples in the country. I don't know if that is factually true, but I know we're right up there.

I would rate the Granny Smith as my number one apple for pies-mainly because it is tart and holds its shape well while cooking. I also like a combination of Fuji's and Granny Smith for other cooked apple dishes. The Fuji is sweeter than the Granny Smith and still holds its shape while cooking.

Right now I have a Dutch Apple Pie in the oven. I used a combination of Granny Smith, Fuji and Honeycrisp. I've never used the Honeycrisp apple so we'll see how that turns out. I'm hoping the Honeycrisp will cook down almost to a applesauce type of consistency while the other apples hold their shape. If it turns out I'll snap a photo and post later.

I have tried many apples and, like others here, do prefer the combo approach. But, I've not yet found the "perfect combo." My preferred method, as another poster alluded to, is a tart, a sweet and one that is more mushy. The tart and sweet I choose for shape-holding abilities, so you get chunks, the mushy I choose for flavor, so the sauciness (and I do use some starch) is really tasty. But, since I haven't followed a scientific approach, sometimes they are too mushy and sometimes too dry. I guess I need to start recoding the ones I put together and how much starch I use, huh :unsure:

I recently tried CI's method of cooking the apples first. "Ehn" was my result.

I am always searching for more info on apples. Try this link for the most detailed list of apple varieties, though not enough specific info on baking/cooking.

This is another site that has a pretty good description of them.

I've seen a Ken Haedrich book on apples, but haven't looked in it. It might be worth a perusal, though, as I think he does go into more info as to why you pick one variety over another.

We like to say that Washington is the number one producer of apples in the country.  I don't know if that is factually true, but I know we're right up there.

David my local NJ supermarket thinks so too....just means I have to drive an extra 10 miles to 1 of the 3 local orchards

:wacko:

:unsure:

:blink:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association