• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beyond the simple slap up meal

Mr O and I are coming up to our first wedding anniversary. He is always the one who wows me with Ramsay-esque style experiences for my birthday and I'd like to surprise him. (Cue people feeling nauseous at level of cheesyness sorry :biggrin: )

Rather than just booking a really good restaurant for the evening, which is still an option by the way, I was trying to come up with something a bit different and I'd be really grateful anyone has any experiences or ideas they would share. Food related of course or something else combined with food.

A couple of ideas I had are:

- organise a personal dinner for the two of us. Would need a personal chef and a waiter - haven't had much luck on the net has anyone done anything like this?

- I could cook and then transport dinner to somewhere special (but where?)

- Take him to Paris for lunch

Alternatively - if there are any restaurants you think would be great for the occassion I could do that too - was thinking the Capital or 1880 but I haven't been to either so not sure.

It's the 1st of November which is a Monday (unfortunately). Will be chilly in London by then so not outside.

Would really appreciate any contributions - sorry again for the cheese levels.

Many thanks

xx

what about an amazing picnic, but at home? we call this 'carpet picnic' in my house. either do the Villandry thing and build your own hamper with lots of good little bits + pieces, or Mosimann's (and hundreds of other places) do day packs. Push back the furniture, put a picnic rug in the middle of the sitting room floor, and picnic ahoy. and no dramas about forgetting the corkscrew, either.

or book yourselves into a central London hotel (because there's something amazingly decadent about staying in a hotel in the town you actually live in) and have dinner downstairs or very very nearby (so you'd have to pick somewhere like, ooooh, the Charlotte Street Hotel? or the Mandarin Oriental?

or what about a mega-walk somewhere (if you can both get the day off) like Whitstable or one of the seaside resorts with really, really good oysters/fish - walk for miles on blowy deserted romantic beach, end up at quiet restaurant? (logistics problems taken care of by training it down and then taxi from restaurant back to train station?) out of season fish restaurant on Monday might be tricky though.

PS congrats on (upcoming) anniversary!

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

If you want a trained personal chef and waiter to come to your house and cook for you try one of the cooking schools.

I know Leith's cooking school definitely has that service and it might work out to about the same price as a good meal in some high end restaurant.

Give them a call and tell them what you want.

As to restaurants in town, what type of food you like? as lots of variety

if you haven;t been try the Ivy, it will take you a few weeks to secure a table :wink:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Personally I'd go for a night or 2 away in Brighton - Hotel du Vin's top floor suite - the one with 2 baths in the enormous bedroom is perfect and has a seaview if you crane a bit from the balcony.

The restaurant isn't Ramsay standard but it is good - or maybe take a carpet picnic - you've got enough room - with a huge seating area.

It's our 20th anniversary next year and I was thinking of this, or maybe a trip to The Fat Duck - are there good places to stay in or near to Bray?

I did the Paris for lunch thing for a friend's 50th and would definitely recommend it. You have just enough time to have a 4 hour lunch and a quick walk around the environs before pouring yourself back onto the Eurostar. Of course the choice of restaurants will beat anything London has to offer....

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

I think the problem is that if Mr. O's a foodie, there's no where in London that you could take which would be really special. The options in the UK then become Le Manoir, Ludlow (a surpise), Leeds (a complete shock), or outside the UK to Paris - which would be v. expensive, but incredible. For instance the Hotel Crillon.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

paris

especially if getting to waterloo for the eurostar is no hassle.

went with a mate to taillevent for his 40th in late nov last year that was a monday too. lovely bright cold crisp day, beautiful.

paris out of season is great and the eurostar is so efficient, gare du nord is very central too so no long airport transfers.

places like le meurice sound like they'd fit the bill, read some of BLH's & lkl chu's posts on the france board.

they seem to have the likely suspects covered, le meurice , les ambassadeurs, les elysees they'll certainly be on my hit list for my next trip.

cheers

gary

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

Thanks so much guys - this is great stuff.

It's sounding like one of two:

- Paris is sounding like a very good idea indeed. The Eurostar is easy for us and I think a top restaurant in Paris would have the desired effect (plus it's fun getting to Waterloo and then realising you aren't going anywhere in London - nice surprise)

- The personal chef thing. I emailed Leith's (thanks origamicrane :biggrin: ) and am waiting to hear back from them but apparently they have chefs and service staff as well which I could book for a night.

One other idea - was thinking a suite at a London hotel with a balcony where we could have dinner. Would pick a hotel with a great restaurant and ask them to do a dinner for us - think Paris beats this tho.

So the Paris idea is in the lead and am about to embark upon the Paris restaurants threads.

I'll keep you posted as to plans

any other ideas welcome!

Thanks again

xx

It's our 33rd anniversary in a couple of weeks - and my only words of advice are whatever you do - don't do it at home (who wants to deal with a dirty kitchen on a festive night). And if you go to Paris - at least spend the night (who wants to get home at 3 in the morning).

On our part - we're spending a couple of days in a nice hotel with a nice restaurant/spa/beach etc. A romantic relaxing getaway. That's what you should be looking for (and I imagine it's more important on a first anniversary than a 33rd :wink: ). Robyn

P.S. I live in Florida - not the UK - but I think a place like Gidleigh would be very romantic in November if you got a room with a fireplace - think lamb for dinner - a walk on the moors - and Devon cream teas.

Edited by robyn (log)

- Paris is sounding like a very good idea indeed. The Eurostar is easy for us and I think a top restaurant in Paris would have the desired effect (plus it's fun getting to Waterloo and then realising you aren't going anywhere in London - nice surprise)

with a bit of planning you should be able to get some cheap day returns on the eurostar. get into paris for 11-ish quick wander around, long lunch and train back about 5-ish.

the train seems so much more fun for some reason than being crammed on to an easyjet, also if you are snobby like moi the other passengers are generally much more pleasant, the trains are quiet and relaxing, no shell suits and distinct lack of screaming kids, stag/hens parties etc.

cheers

gary

Tryska - if I sense someone stalking us around Waterloo I'll know it's you!

Just curious - has anyone been first class on the eurostar? Is it worth it?

Doesn't seem much more expensive but it looks to me like it might just be paying extra for a three course meal, which we won't want as we will be saving ourselves for lunch. If it's nice and spacious and we can crack a bottle of champers tho am thinking it would be nice.

Gary - am with you on the airport thing - not quite the romantic start I would be after. I don't mind normally but the thought of traipsing through Stansted with loads of people and a crappy coffee won't quite set the mood. also when I've been on Eurostar it's all been very easy and quite slick.

Have pretty much decided against the idea of getting a personal chef - agree with robyn it just won't have the same impact at home - no guaranteed wow factor and I might get an average chef which would be so annoying.

So Paris is the immediate plan.

Will keep you updated :wink:

Edited by Romaney O'Malley (log)

If you wanted a 1000 quid weekend, you could stay at the Plaza Athenee, and drop downstairs for a Ducasse dinner.

Remember! For a man - Nothing says "I love you" like Ducasse!

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Am trying to delude myself that it's going to cost less than that at the moment! I actually looked at that Ducasse website as well - was confused and then I worked out the menu prices were just for one course not a couple (115 euros!)

Am more of the:

"Oops look how much I accidentally ended up spending!" school of thought

Think I should bite the bullet and do it with intent from the beginning :laugh:

i forgot to mention re first class.

i haven't travelled first on the eurostar but was going to say in terms of seat space and comfort the standard eurostar is not a million miles off GNER first class. I'm 6ft 2' and squeeze into a gner but am quite comfortable on the eurostar, and sleeping on the way back after a long lunch isn't usually a problem!

they run a few eurostar on the leeds/london line, they are so much nicer than the standard gner ones.

i'd save the money on the eurostar and put it towards food and drinks in paris.

there's nothing to stop you drinking champagne on the eurostar in standard either!

Gary

I've done first and standard on Eurostar and would recommend going first if the price difference isn't large.

You get significantly more space, at seat service, and if you are travelling at the time of day when they serve lunch or dinner you get a glass of champagne and wine with your meal. The food is not fantastic but above airline standards.

Depends on how much all of the above matter to you of course.

have you thought perhaps of a cooking class at the Capital or Le Manoir, followed by a meal and room there?

might be a bit of a novelty, roll your sleeves up together, and then get sozzled...

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Right - have just requested a reservation for Le Meurice and also at Les Ambassadeurs (sp?) so fingers crossed we can get a table at one of them.

Scott - your idea about Le Manoir is great...

unfortunately Mr O beat me to it and bought a course for me as a Chrissy present. :raz: Actually I still haven't been as I haven't been able to organise the time off work that coincides with the courses I want to go to. But am making sure it's in the next six months. Will post details after I've been.

Still not sure about the eurostar thing but it's not a biggy - my friend tells me they sometimes have deals where they give you a free upgrade so may wait a couple of weeks before I book the tickets incase a deal comes up.

Thanks again everyone - will let you know how I go with the reservations.

Hopefully socks will be suitably knocked off :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

After much homework and contemplation I thought I had finally decided what to do for our anniversary. What I hadn't completely appreciated (which was naive on my part) was it's not as simple as picking a restaurant and more about where you can get a booking. And I thought Gordon Ramsay was bad!

However I am happy to report that after a marathon of phonecalls we are having lunch at Le Meurice. I ended up going for the 1st class eurostar as will be that extra bit nicer.

Thanks to everyone for all your help. I will of course report back with details of lunch and hope Mr O is suitably wooed :raz: