• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wood burning ovens...

adegiulio

We are building a new home, and I would like to build an outdoor wood burning oven for pizzas, bread, roasts, and the like. The research I have done has led me to two names, Earthstone and Mugnaini. Both seem to have pros and cons. Sometimes I am sure I want the Earthstone, and other times I am sure I want the Mignaini. So, are there any people out there that have a wood burning oven? Any tips on what to look for? Best way to build it? Brands you like? Anything else? :smile:

Thanks in advance. A free pizza to the person or persons who lead me to a new oven... :biggrin:

Anthony

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Join the brick-oven group at yahoo, as there is serious discussion of those two brand names, as well as a wealth of info on building your own, which is what I did. It cost less than $1000 bucks and is well within the reach of anybody who is somewhat handy and highly motivated.

I have been considering getting a wood-burning oven for a couple of years. I actually wanted one in one end of the kitchen but have scratched that idea because my contractor said that removing part of the wall (steel frame) and bridging it to support the clay tile roof would be a major project, costing far more than the cost of the oven itself.

I have decided to go with the Il Forno as two of my friends have them and are very happy. One has a pre-fab, in Orange County and the other is in Malibu and was built on site from a kit. They also give classes in how to use the oven.

Il Forno prices and sizes.

If you have experience as a bricklayer you could probably do it yourself.

The prefab looks good to me and that is probably what I will go with. I like the idea of having it set in place rapidly.

I considered the Mugnaini but since they are in northern Calif and I am in L.A. county I decided to look at the Il Forno in person at their showroom in Corona.

I don't know how the prices compare but they seemed pretty competitive to me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've been considering this for far too long now. There are a number of good links out there on building wood fired ovens, and I think it can be done for considerably less than buying a pre-fab kit.

This Sunset Magazine article is what got me thinking about this, and is probably what I'll build for starters. This page details one person's experience in building this oven.

Here is a link on a more traditional Quebec style oven.

Here is a very nicely built brick oven. There are lots of details on the site.

Another page with lots of photos showing oven construction.

I have some other links collected as well, but these are some of the better sites out there.

Hal

these are all great responses....thank you!

Keep them coming, especially any first hand experience you may have using your ovens...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I've been considering this for far too long now. There are a number of good links out there on building wood fired ovens, and I think it can be done for considerably less than buying a pre-fab kit.

This Sunset Magazine article is what got me thinking about this, and is probably what I'll build for starters. This page details one person's experience in building this oven.

Here is a link on a more traditional Quebec style oven.

Here is a very nicely built brick oven. There are lots of details on the site.

Another page with lots of photos showing oven construction.

I have some other links collected as well, but these are some of the better sites out there.

Hal

I spent a lot of time looking at one of the sites mentioned here, Brian's Brick Oven Folly. I figured if that guy could do it, so could I, especially since mine is as close to a fence and not too far from the house. I followed The Bread Builder's a little more closely, but I think he mentions that he bought the plans for his oven and it did not include the thermal break around the hearth slab, and he used red brick where I went for the firebrick. But I found that site with all the pix to be very helpful. And you don't need any masonry experience. I had none. All you need is patience and a willingness to learn from your mistakes.