• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Antacids - good or bad?

Pan

NIH lists Metamucil as an oral laxative.

Here's part of their description:

Oral laxatives are medicines taken by mouth to encourage bowel movements to relieve constipation.

There are several different types of oral laxatives and they work in different ways. Since directions for use are different for each type, it is important to know which one you are taking. The different types of oral laxatives include:

Bulk-formers

Bulk-forming laxatives are not digested but absorb liquid in the intestines and swell to form a soft, bulky stool. The bowel is then stimulated normally by the presence of the bulky mass. Some bulk-forming laxatives, like psyllium and polycarbophil, may be prescribed by your doctor to treat diarrhea.

Odd, psyllium to treat diarrhea?

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan, since you live in NY, I would recommend the Duane Reade brand of stool softener. There is the kind with a laxative and the regular kind without a laxative. Buy the regular kind. I'm usually not one for generic brands, but there really is no difference here.

I've also tried lots different types of fiber and I continue to take Fibercon caplets (although I buy the Kirkland brand at Costco). Sometimes the straight psyllium can be a little harsh on my system.

I have had trouble with my digestive system forever, and a combination of extra fiber and the stool softener keeps me going (literally!).

I also recommend Prilosec over-the-counter for heartburn and indigestion. It works wonders. Unfortunately, at 6 months pregnant, the heartburn, constipation, etc, only gets worse, and I can only take Tums. But I still keep up with my fiber caplets every day!

well i suppose if you want to call a bulk-former a laxative you can. if the NIH says.

i dunno when i think of laxative i think of toilet seat agony.

in any case - i can see how psyllium could be used to treat diarrhea. the fiber is going to soak up whatever liquid is available for it soak up. kinda like oats or apples for diarrhea. the gluten/pectin draws water and binds things together.

Pan,

Sorry to read about your travails. I have been off-line awhile except for very brief visits. Certainly you should be seeking appropriate medical care. I don't believe that on-line is generally the best place to get it at this point in time.

A few professional comments. Do not take TUMS or othe calcium-containing antacids for heartburn. While they may help buffer the gastric pH in the short-term, in the long-term they stimulate gastric acid secretion, resulting in a vicious circle that is great for the company's bottom line, but not your stomach lining.

The absolute best medications to take for GERD symptoms nowadays are the H2-receptor antagonists like prilosec, prevacid (they are different drugs), Nexium, ranitidine, cimetidine, etc. It is reasonable to try the over-the-counter versions first. If they are not successful, one should see a doctor for further control.

An important point to consider, especially for those of a certain age (but not necessarily limited to them) is that "heartburn" can also be a symptom of coronary vascular disease.This may be particularly symptomatic of CVD of the lower part of the heart. So, for perssistent heartburn, one must consider this possibility as well, especially if combined with shortness-of-breath and/or fatigue. This is certainly not meant to be a comprehensive treatise on GERD. While it is not my principle field-of-expertise, it is an area that I deal with professionally on a daily basis.

A laxative is basically anything that enhances bowel function. Most people get enough laxatives in their diets without realizing it (or at least that is the way it should be if not for our ultra-refined world). The reason why psyllium may be beneficial for diarrhea is to absorb some of the water and provide bulk. In general the best medication for diarrhea is Imodium, which causes reabsorption of water by the intestines without effecting peristalsis. Lomotil can be very dangerous if taken inappropriately for diarrhea. This causes a reduction of peristalsis. if in the presence of bacteria-caused, diarrhea, this could result in an extreme proliferation of the bacteria to dangerous levels.

Enjoy!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thank you, once again, docsconz, for explaining things in language we all can comprehend and act upon ...

Farewell, Sanjay Gupta, CNN doctor deluxe, and welcome to eGullet medicine from our own docsconz! Now back to my beloved Prilosec ... :biggrin: your validation makes it my antacid of choice (used sparingly however!)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I got more suppositories. I have a feeling I may have an anal fissure again (I had one several months ago). If my defecation isn't normal by tomorrow or Thursday, I'll make an appointment with a proctologist.

Michael aka "Pan"

I got more suppositories. I have a feeling I may have an anal fissure again (I had one several months ago). If my defecation isn't normal by tomorrow or Thursday, I'll make an appointment with a proctologist.

I feel, we've grown so much closer through this... We now know far more about each other and our digestive tracts that we did before...

In a strange way, it's kind of touching.

:smile:

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I feel, we've grown so much closer through this... We now know far more about each other and our digestive tracts that we did before...

In a strange way, it's kind of touching.

Thanks for saying this .. I agree .. it has given us an inner perspective on our fellow eGulleteers which we had never expected ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"