• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brining Steaks

CtznCane

We enjoy entertaining and have good friends who like their steak well done. Did I say well done? How about petrified perhaps. Well, from my childhood well done steaks send chills up my spine. My Mom being from the south wanted no tell tale signs it was ever alive while my father being a cook would literally have tears well in his eyes as the beef passed from Rare to medium to well done to beyond recognition.

Wanting to both please our friends as well as oursevles I'm beginning to think brining may be the solution. I tried it last night on cross rib steaks (before trying it on really good cuts of beef) and it came out moist and juicy as well as flavorful. I think I brined it a little too long though as it was just a touch on the salty side. I used:

1/3 cup of Kosher Salt

1/3 cup of brown sugar

1 cup of bourbon (I'ze just gots to get my bourbon in there)

3 cups of water.

I let it go just over 2 hours and I think about 1 to 1.5 hours is about right (based on about 1/2" thick.

Has anyone else out there brined their steaks? If so how? What were the results?

Yes, I know this is an odd subject and to cook the steaks well done is somewhat, if not totally, sacrosanct but there is a necessity here. Any ideas or feedback appreciated.

Charles aka CtznCane

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I've done this on "lesser" cuts like chuck eye and top blade steaks to good effect. I usually add some ground ancho as well. The chile doesn't get into the meat, but the surface residual of salt, molasses and ancho makes for a tasty crust after grilling. I've also cut back on the salt in favor of some soya, which has a somewhat richer flavor. Soy sauce is not as effective as salt for brining, though, so you can't swap it out entirely. I like the technique on the shoulder cuts because I think the texture of these steaks is better when they're closer to medium than rare. I used do them black and blue so they wouldn't toughen up, and that meant really bloody plates, and sometimes an unappetizingly gelatinous serving. By brining, I can cook them a little longer, at a slightly lower temperature, and get a great-flavored, tender (well, for chuck, anyway) steak that appeals to everyone.

As for trying it on more expensive cuts, I'm sure it works, but I've never tried it. Luckily, I haven't had to serve a well-done ribeye or strip since my father-in-law died, and that was before I'd ever heard of brining.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Perhaps slice some bologna the size and shape of a steak, fry until black, douse with ketchup?

My sincere condolences.

But I might mention that rather than preparing something you can all eat together with your friends though it defiles your own sensibilities, one could just eat the friends.

Just a suggestion.

edit:

Just in case:

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I say break out that cup of Bourbon, get 'em liquored up and serve the steaks rare in a dimly lit room. They will never notice :biggrin:

If I have sensitive eaters over I just skip the steaks and do a braise. Well done but tender and juicy meat that even the non food obsessed seem to appreciate.

Nathan

I would tend to leave brining to lighter colored meats (chicken or pork). My reason for this is their neutral natural flavor. Red meats have such a unique flavor that would be compromised by the brining.

Edited by chefdg (log)

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

For people that like well done meat, I grill up some quality skirt steaks...

Juicy on the inside and crispy crusty smokey on the outside...

Let it rest and save the juices... (dip crusty bread).

Super flavorful and juicy for welldone...

Yeah. While we're on the topic of "doing something else altogether", why not a pot roast or some other form of braised beef, like shortribs? Always well done, always moist and juicy and delicious.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

For people that like well done meat, I grill up some quality skirt steaks...

Juicy on the inside and crispy crusty smokey on the outside...

Let it rest and save the juices... (dip crusty bread).

Super flavorful and juicy for welldone...

Your my new friend. :smile:

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

put grill marks on it and give it to chef mic juicy and.... well done :hmmm: well done steaks mumble mumble mumble grumble id rather just them cook it themselves , yes i am bitter . and to those people who get fillet mignon well done @!#$#@!@##.......&^%^&**((())))....... ok im done now. :raz: