• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whats your take?

chefdg

Recently at work I had a brief discussion with my boss about the "true" meaning of the words "Tempura" and "Kimch'i". I know that, as with every other cooking term, there can be an entire book written with contradictory meanings. Although I would appreciate a link to any previous discussions on these subjects, I would also like for some of the more recent members of the egullet world to have a chance to discuss what their take is on the matter. I'm sure we have a master or two out there, so don't be shy.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

O.K. maybe I should clarify (like butter). My boss in question said the word "tempura" means "golden" and "kimch'i" means "cabbage". Anyone else ever heard this?

Edited by chefdg (log)

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."