• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Food in Central NJ

weihrri

• 7 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread with the hopes that something new may have opened up in Essex county since this post - outisde of Newark/ironbound which deserves its own thread. I have looked at the Northern Jersey one and most of these seem too far away (I'm in on the edge of Short Hills/ Chatham - near the Mall). I would love to find a tacqueria within 10-15 minutes.

One side note - Have been to Tico Mex on main street in Chatham and were disappointed. Their specialty pork dish was unbeleivably dry and the other dish we ordered was barely seasoned. Have also been to Toro Loco in South Orange and found them sub-par. The best hispanic food I have had since moving was in Elizabeth near the DMV and that was a longer hike than I would like.

Thanks for any suggestions for Mexican, Spanish, or any Iberoamerican.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

AlisonA,

Right in your back yard, my dear!!

Los Tapotios on Main street in West Orange. Authentic Me-hi-can. No Tex Mex here. Park behind the resto in the lot on Valley St and go in the back door. It's family owned and the food is just delicious. try the seasoned steak in anything they offer like tacos or burritos or chile rellenos. Also, the soups, Black bean and chicken soup are some of the best I ever had. don't miss the Tres Leches for dessert.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

AlisonA,

Los Tapotios on Main street in West Orange.  Authentic Me-hi-can. No Tex Mex here.  Park behind the resto in the lot on Valley St and go in the back door.  It's family owned and the food is just delicious.  try the seasoned steak in anything they offer like tacos or burritos or chile rellenos. Also, the soups, Black bean and chicken soup are some of the best I ever had.  don't miss the Tres Leches for dessert.

Eric

Thank you! I may be hitting it for lunch tomorrow.

AlisonA

Well I stopped by at 11:45 this a.m. to find it closed, despite a sign stating they open at 11:30. Hung around to close to noon then figured they might not be open on Monday.

I'll give it another try on Wednesday probably closer to 1, hope it works this time.

Has anyone tried the "southern" barbeque a couple of doors down?

Thanks,

AlisonA

Jose's is nothing special - an unauthentic meal smothered in cheese served on a heated plate.

Never been to this West Orange place, Will check it out for sure.

Have you been to Don Jose in the Penang/Home Depot shopping center on Rt. 10?

Ate there once about a year ago, thought it was good - and it's BYO.

Don Jose Mexican Restaurant

200 State Route 10

East Hanover, NJ

Phone: (973) 781-0155

http://www.donjosemexican.com/

If you're not afraid of venturing into Hudson County I'm a big fan of Baja (not Baja Fresh). The spicy shrimp soup is good - and they have this incredible marinaded steak Fajita Fundida. They hand make their tortillas, and I'm sure they use lard or something really tasty. The bar has more tequila than you can shake a stick at - offering a tasting flight.

There's a busy Baja in Hoboken, and another was opened in Jersey City. Last I was at the Hoboken place, it was WAY crowded, but had free parking.

http://www.bajahoboken.com/

• 1 month later...
AlisonA,

Los Tapotios on Main street in West Orange.  Authentic Me-hi-can. No Tex Mex here.  Park behind the resto in the lot on Valley St and go in the back door.  It's family owned and the food is just delicious.  try the seasoned steak in anything they offer like tacos or burritos or chile rellenos. Also, the soups, Black bean and chicken soup are some of the best I ever had.  don't miss the Tres Leches for dessert.

Eric

Well I haven't made it here yet, despite good intentions, any idea how crowded it is on a Saturday night? We have a sitter and I am debating between here and WestOrangeFrank's reco of Don Jose's.

Thanks,

AlisonA

200 State Route 10

East Hanover, NJ

Well we went here tonight and enjoyed it. There was a short wait during which we had time to look over the menu again and hear the guitar duo warm up. Apparently they have live music Saturday nights. The waiting area is very small but they moved people through it efficiently.

Our table was about halfway back in the room, which is long and narrow. The music where we were was not too loud, although overall the place was noisy. After a slight mess up where I got diet coke instead of iced tea we placed our order.

Appetizer - we had queso fundido, the sausage was diced in a nice mild cheese, not as greasy as it sometimes is which was nice. It was served sizzling hot with warm flour tortillas.

For the main course I had the red snapper with garlic arceo. The fish was moist, the sauce a nice compliment - not overpoweringly garlic but had a definate garlic overtone. The beans were a bit saucy for my tastes but tasted fine, the rice average.

My hubby, as is his want, asked the waiter what the best items on the menu, not the most popular but the best. The waiter with out blinking an eye asked him if he wanted chicken, steak or seafood. Waivering between chicken and steak the waiter gave him his top four. Following his suggestion my husband ordered the steak pueblo, medium rare. It came out as ordered. The taste I had was good, again moist - which given the thinness of the cut could have been an issue. A little more in the smothered catagory than I might like but he enjoyed it. It had a side of the same rice and some greenery on the side which I think was supposed to be a salad but was little more than an iceberg lettuce wedge with strips of bell pepper, carrots and tomato.

We topped the evening off with flan, enjoying the faint cinnamon taste it had.

Would definately go there again, particularly if we plan to go bowling to finish the night again. Not quite the tacqueria I was looking for but solid.

AlisonA

200 State Route 10

East Hanover, NJ

Well we went here tonight and enjoyed it.

Nice write up Alison, My reco in West Orange, is like that new restaurant that opened on the moon; Great food, but no atmosphere! I'd still recomend that you try it at least once.

Eric

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

• 1 month later...

Both the Mexicans I know well enough to ask about good Mexican cooking around Princeton recommended the same place: Costa Chica in New Brunswick, 214 Handy St. I'll go as soon as I can….

Joël L

I am resurrecting this thread with the hopes that something new may have opened up in Essex county since this post - outisde of Newark/ironbound which deserves its own thread.  I have looked at the Northern Jersey one and most of these seem too far away (I'm in on the edge of Short Hills/ Chatham - near the Mall).  I would love to find a tacqueria within 10-15 minutes.

One side note - Have been to Tico Mex on main street in Chatham and were disappointed.  Their specialty pork dish was unbeleivably dry and the other dish we ordered was barely seasoned.  Have also been to Toro Loco in South Orange and found them sub-par.  The best hispanic food I have had since moving was in Elizabeth near the DMV and that was a longer hike than I would like.

Thanks for any suggestions for Mexican, Spanish, or any Iberoamerican.

AlisonA