• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dried scallops

tissue

I love them both too!

Those dried ones are sooo expensive though!

I was looking at them in the store yesterday but couldn't justify that price.

They are incredible in soups.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

When I was a little kid my cousin told me the dried ones were scallop jerky so I ate a whole bunch of them as a snack after school. I got in trouble because they were really expensive but I didn't know. :laugh:

When I was a little kid my cousin told me the dried ones were scallop jerky so I ate a whole bunch of them as a snack after school. I got in trouble because they were really expensive but I didn't know.  :laugh:

lemme top that.

when i was a kid, i didn't know what thousand year eggs look like before cooking, or at least didn't make proper associations.

found a bunch once, thought they were regular eggs gone rotten somehow.

had fun throwing them out our second story window, then following them up with a brick somehow, if i recall correctly. i got in some trouble that night. :biggrin::laugh::cool:

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

In Taiwan I've also seen half-dried scallops as a stack.  They're little queenies which come in individual packets; not completely dry - sort of a bit chewy/fudgy texture.  Lovely sweet flavour.  Haven't seen them in Europe, but have a sneaking suspicion the Japanese have something similar

J

Yes they have these in Japan and they are positively addicting.

In college my ex-boyfriend's mother would send him care packages from Japan and a large bag of these was always included.

My ex would come home from class to find me sitting next to this large box surronded by all these little wrappers, I don't think I even saved one for him! :shock::biggrin:

The fresh scallops are great steamed in its shell with garlic on top....

Some restaurants have been making a scrumptious dish of lightly battered and fried giant scallops, with this ginger scallion egg white sauce.

The fresh scallops are great steamed in its shell with garlic on top....

Some restaurants have been making a scrumptious dish of lightly battered and fried giant scallops, with this ginger scallion egg white sauce.

I prefer fresh to dried but like both. I especially love: real Nantucket Bay Scallops and real Peconic Bay Scallops.

RE - fresh scallops -

Which do people prefer - bay or sea?

Here in the Southwest, folks often put sea scallops on skewers and grill them out on the barbie.

But otherwise, any preferences? Think one kind is sweeter, or more flavorful? Better texture?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

RE - fresh scallops -

Which do people prefer - bay or sea?

Here in the Southwest, folks often put sea scallops on skewers and grill them out on the barbie.

But otherwise, any preferences?  Think one kind is sweeter, or more flavorful?  Better texture?

The variety of bay scallop that is available in Nantucket is one of the great things to eat. Eastern Long Island has the same variety and quality but the crop hasn't been commercially viable due to disease. At their best these are fabulous incredibly sweet world-class scallops. Their season is October-December. Worthing seeking out.

The southern Atlantic bay scallops, known as 'calicos', are the most frequently encountered bays in the US. They rarely provide even a hint at how delicious scallops can be. They are typically highly processed to preserve shelf life. This deprives them of their brininess and character. This is the case with most of the sea scallops as well.

Truly fresh sea scallops from Maine and New England waters can be delicious, but in my experience never really approach the sweetness of the sweetest bays. In NYC we can now sometimes purchase live scallops still in their shells.

By the way I've enjoyed great tasting roe scallops (with attached pink egg sack - a delicacy) in France.

Why is it that one never sees scallops sold with the coral in this country? It's the norm everywhere else.

Americans never developed a taste and therefore a demand for it.

You can sometimes find roe scallops. I had them this fall. Bought them in the shell in Chinatown.

I had an amazing scallop with roe at Harvest Vine here in Seattle, it was grilled like described above, but with foie gras drippings on it. Oh man.

Another question: why are dried scallops so expensive? I have never had them, but intend to soon.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 4 weeks later...

My MIL just gave me a bottle of Lee Kum Kee brand oyster sauce w/ dried scallops.

Has anyone ever used this? It has an incredible essence of dried scallops.

Bought at Costco Japan, by the way.

• 1 year later...

My Mom makes a dish with blanched centres of Shanghai bok choy, topped with pre-soaked shredded dried scallop in a light sauce.

I usually just use dried scallops in jook, or as mentioned in another thread, in joong.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I like to make this dish when there is nothing in the fridge.

Steamed egg with shredded scallops (just pop it in the rice cooker when the bubble starts to disappear)

Also shredded scallops are good in rice porridge.

Yuki and Gary,

for both your recipes the scallops are soaked before being shredded? Is the soaking liquid used?

I soak the scallops in cold water before shredding them. I don't use the soaking liquid for the steamed egg but if I am using it for rice porridge, then I will pour the liquid inside the pot.

• 2 weeks later...

Dried scallop is considered a delicacy and has an expensive price tag to prove it too.

In Cantonese cooking, dried scallops are used to make soup or portridge, steamed eggs, or spread cooked dried scallops on top of cooked vegetables (especially bean sprout leaves) and melons.

Dried scallop is also the main ingredient in making the increasingly popular XO chili sauce.

As an main entre, I cook whole dried scallops and whole galics in a sauce that is primarily oyster-sauce based, over slow fire for over one hour.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"