• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oaxacan snack foods

shelora

Hola!

Just devoured another favourite summertime treat that we first encountered on the streets in Oaxaca.

Corn tortillas on the comal with torn pieces of squash blossoms and fresh epazote. A bit of cheese (I used Monterey Jack as I can't get quesillo where I live) and sea salt. Presto, change-o, I am instantly transported to Oaxaca.

After four years, we know have serious leaves of epazote growing in our garden. For squash blossoms, we phone a local farmer to major amounts and a local tortilla maker supplies us with tortillas. In Oaxaca, you are asked if you want a bit of asiento - that yummy pork fat and bits - don't have that going on. Yet.

Truly an exquisite snack.

Anyone else have some seasonal favourites they would like to share?

Shelora

I just bought some queso Oaxaca today to make some squash blossom quesadillas. Now I just need to find out who's selling the fresh flor de calabaza this year. (Usually zucchini flower around here -- in Oregon.) Have you tried any soups?

In Mazatlan, a popular antojito is the chorreada. It's a thick corn tortilla with cheese and carne asada. The thing that makes it good for summer is that it's often grilled. I'm not sure why they're called chorreada since chorrear means to drip or spill. Maybe that's what they do while you eat them. That I could understand.

I"m sure the farmers market in Oregon can set you up with some serious zucchini flower. I must say though I haven't quite worked out which squash flower is the best because I have had some that were too hairy, for want of a better word. Okay, maybe thorny or scratchy would be better.

The more delicate the better I think.

And if any of those organic farmers are growing a small round calabaza, so much the better.

I have tried the soups, but am going back to the drawing board to obtain a real sopa de guia with some tender tendrils of the squash plant, the blossoms and some good organic corn.

Have you ever made it? I bet with the heat you get in Oregon, you grow tasty corn.

I haven't heard of the chorreada, but it sounds damn tasty. Would that be skirt steak or tasajo that they use?

S

We even get them in normal stores sometimes and in lots of Mexican markets in the summer. Last year at the Portland Farmer's Market, someone was selling them on the stem so you could keep them good in water. It was fabulous. Way cheap, too. Huge amounts for a $1.

I haven't made many soups. It's too expensive normally. The canned up here are about $3 for a small can. I've had the soups in Mexico and they can be very good. Not sure exactly which ones. I really like a touch of squash blossom in many sauces, too. They add a really interesting flavor.

In Oaxaca, you are asked if you want a bit of asiento - that yummy pork fat and bits - don't have that going on. Yet.

Truly an exquisite snack.

Asiento is the condiment of the gods. Do not deprive yourself. Make your own. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Here's what I do with flor de calabaza; the dish is beautiful as well as delicious and I prepare it frequently. We're very fortunate here--squash flowers are available all year long. The price runs about 30 cents for a huge bunch, stems and all.

Flor de Calabaza con Papas y Chile

2 large bunches flor de calabaza, cut in 2" pieces across the blossoms

3 or 4 chiles poblano, roasted, skinned, and diced in 1/2" dice

1 large white onion, diced in 1/2" dice

2 large white potatoes, russets or whatever you have available, peeled, diced in

1/2" dice, boiled in salt water until almost done, and drained dry

3-5 epazote leaves, minced

1-2 Tbsp Knorr Suiza Consomé de Pollo (chicken stock base), al gusto

2-3 Tbsp vegetable oil (or EVOO, if you prefer)

Flour

Water as needed

In a large skillet, heat the oil until fairly hot. While the oil is heating, put about 3 Tbsp flour in a clean plastic bag--an ordinary grocery store produce bag. Dump (that's a technical term) the dry diced cooked potatoes into the bag and shake well to dredge. Sauté the dredged potatoes until they are slightly browned. Lower the heat to moderate and add the onions and chiles to the potatoes; sauté until soft. Add the epazote and allow it to release its flavor. Add the flor de calabaza and sauté briefly. Add a small amount of water (1/2 cup) in which you have dissolved the Knorr Suiza. Cover and allow to simmer for just a moment or two. Add a bit more water if the mixture is too thick or starts to stick.

Plate and serve.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?