• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo Nuggets at Home

mark922

This weekend, faced with a budget crunch and two crabby children, I was reduced to improvising in the kitchen. The little monsters insisted on frozen popcorn chicken nuggets, a prospect I normally find as appetizing as library paste (the typical consistency of the breading when these things come out of the oven).

In an attemtp to make them soemwhat more palatable, I cooked them on the broiler pan. Well, the slots in the pan, along with heat from above and below, did the trick. They came out crispy and crunchy. Feeling more confident, I grabbed a bottle of hot sauce and a mixing bowl; instant buffalo nuggets for Dad!

I realize this isn't going to put Chefg out of business, or force him to rethink his new menu. :blink: I just wanted to pass along a suggestion for a quick and easy kid-friendly meal that doesn't make Dad feel like he's getting punished.

I've done something very similar with the chicken "gems" we bought from Market Day via my son's school. In fact, with a 5# box of them, the options (and supply) are seemingly endless. :biggrin:

For his taste, slathering them in ranch dressing is always perfect. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Mark -- other than the broiler pan, do you cook them according to the directions? Same time and temp?

Thanks, this is a great idea. My husband loves frozen, breaded fish sticks/fillets and I find them disgusting. Bet this would be perfect for crispying them up as well.

Maggie

Mark -- other than the broiler pan, do you cook them according to the directions? Same time and temp?

Thanks, this is a great idea. My husband loves frozen, breaded fish sticks/fillets and I find them disgusting. Bet this would be perfect for crispying them up as well.

Maggie

Yep. Same time and temp. I think it's just the way the broiler pan allows hot air to circulate under the nuggets, instead of them sitting on a baking sheet that does the trick.

I've done something very similar with the chicken "gems" we bought from Market Day via my son's school. In fact, with a 5# box of them, the options (and supply) are seemingly endless. :biggrin:

For his taste, slathering them in ranch dressing is always perfect. :smile:

=R=

Ranch dressing is my preferred way of setting off the hot sauce. Blue cheese dressing is kind of a love it/hate it food, and I bet you can now guess which category I fall into. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, We're huge fans of Market Day as well. I'm not sure if this is a widespread phenomenon, but the Sara Lee Outlet near us carries Market Day as well. A handy thing to know in the summertime when school's out.

This weekend, faced with a budget crunch and two crabby children, I was reduced to improvising in the kitchen. The little monsters insisted on frozen popcorn chicken nuggets, a prospect I normally find as appetizing as library paste (the typical consistency of the breading when these things come out of the oven).

In an attemtp to make them soemwhat more palatable, I cooked them on the broiler pan. Well, the slots in the pan, along with heat from above and below, did the trick. They came out crispy and crunchy. Feeling more confident, I grabbed a bottle of hot sauce and a mixing bowl; instant buffalo nuggets for Dad!

I realize this isn't going to put Chefg out of business, or force him to rethink his new menu. :blink: I just wanted to pass along a suggestion for a quick and easy kid-friendly meal that doesn't make Dad feel like he's getting punished.

This is a great idea. Nuggets are one of the things my granddaughter just loves and her Mom sends packets of frozen nuggets to me so I always have something on hand that appeals to her. I will certainly be trying this suggestion the next time she has a sleepover.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog