• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low Carb Pizza Dough

Chris Cognac

I flipped mine because I had it on the silpat and it didn't crisp. I found the part that wasn't on the silpat to be really crispy so I dunno if I'd bother (just do it right the next time :wink: )

It isn't crisp if you reheat it in the microwave but I'll bet it'd be good in a toaster oven (kinda like real pizza....)

Also, I had lots of left over cauliflower (I did 2 large heads and got 8 cups total) so I doubled the recipe and have a bunch left for either more or....the breadsticks !

• 2 weeks later...

This was strange enough that I just had to try it.

I'm wondering if I patted it out too thin, because the edges were definitely burning before 15 minutes were up. But after topping and broiling, the inside was still somewhat soggy - to the point where it wasn't holding together very well. It was definitely cooked through, though. It also stuck like crazy to the pan even though I sprayed the heck out of it with cooking spray.

It did taste really good, and really didn't taste much like cauliflower at all (I do like the taste of cauliflower). It's no substitution for a real chewy pizza crust, but it's a very good dish all on its own. I'll probably make it again and leave it a bit thicker next time, with thicker edges and a thinner middle rather than try to get it even.

I'm definitely going to try the "breadsticks" idea with the cauliflower because it intrigues me.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I'm so glad you tried it !

I've tweaked the recipe times a bit for my own use, also, and the thought of making the edges thicker is EXACTLY what I thought would help. I also cook it for a while and flip it to get the other side done, then top it. She also does it with zucchini; not sure how I'd like that. Last time I made it I rolled it too thin and it was hard to handle so I think there definitely is a middle ground. And it just tastes like topping !

What did you put on yours? I had salami, cheese and mushrooms. Even better the next day :wink:

Bring on the breadsticks !

I topped it with a thin layer of pizza sauce, more cheese, and pepperoni. Very traditional :biggrin:.

I think I would like it with zucchini because I regularly make zucchini fritters that are somewhat similar. I never thought of baking them at high heat, though - I'll have to try it because I really hate pan frying (the house smells for days).

The top of the crust was definitely browning all over in addition to the burning edges when I took it out, so I was very surprised to see the middle so soggy.

I've been thinking of other things to do with this crust - I could see it as the base of a vegetable strata with things like grilled zucchini and eggplant - a very elegant side. It's always hard to find interesting vegetable sides. How did the crust hold up overnight? I often attend a potluck where there are a few vegetarians attending, and this would certainly be a change from the mac and cheese they're often stuck with!

The breadsticks will have to wait a bit since I'm out of shredded mozzarella right now!

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

It held up very well; in fact, it was just fine microwaved. Not crisp but one of those thin fold-over kinda pizzas. And VERY filling !

She uses it for lasagna, too. Something to think about. I like it because I am not a big bread person, and eating a few slices of pizza seems so heavy and like I've got a lump of dough in my stomach (duh, I DO !) With this I was full but didn't feel gross and weighed down.

I made the "breadsticks" from the cauliflower pizza dough tonight, and even though I measured carefully, I still had the same "middle not sticking together even when the edges are getting dark" problem I had with the pizza.

The breadsticks were very good, and I loved the crispy edges they got on the second baking. But they were still not as firm as I would have liked, and had a bit of a...well, grainy mouthfeel. I mixed some oregano and Penzey's Sunny Paris seasoning (dried onions of various types) into the dough, and used some leftover pepperoni slices on top. I didn't use any additional cheese because I figured there was enough in the dough, and I was right. Again, they're not bread by any stretch of the imagination, but they're very good just being what they are.

I am starting to think that this recipe requires for a finer textured ricing than I usually do with the processor when I make cauliflower rice. (I don't dare grate by hand because I'll take my knuckles off with the slippery and while they're low in carbs, they're not high in taste.) Next time I try this I'll go for something just short of puree and see what happens.

And I was thinking baking this off in ring molds until set, then without the molds to crisp up the edges and using it as the base for a stacked dish, or maybe individual vegetable stratas with layers of grilled vegetables.

(As for lasagna, I do something similar using layers of grilled eggplant slices and it's just wonderful. It's very popular around here! That's also how I usually make a "pizza flavored dish" - a layer of grilled eggplant slices topped with pepperoni, sauce, and cheese.)

Marcia.

Edited by purplewiz (log)

eGullet foodblog

Spelt flour has half the carbs of regular flour. It also makes great pizza dough.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Before I worked out a good technique for getting a raw pizza onto an oven pizza stone I used to make the pie on a piece of parchment paper and throw this on the stone. I wonder if using the same technique for the Cauliflower crust would yield a crispier or less soggy result?

Edited by pounce (log)

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

I'm going to make some today and I'll try that. The silpat was a very bad choice. I've used parchment paper for the oopsie rolls and they crisp up nicely so that might be a good idea.

I like having a few of these in the fridge to throw toppings on for a quick meal, just like the oopsies for a 'sandwich'.

I may try her "Mexican Rice and Cheese Enchiladas" this weekend.