• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese BBQ

Hello everyone,

I’m having a cocktail party for six people and would like some ideas some for simple Japanese (or Asian) BBQ . I really don’t want to spend all day prepping for this. (as I always do!) I spend enough time in the kitchen on the job, and the day to day at home meals. I would like this to be different, elegant, ----------yet simple!

Thanks,

Harry

:shock:

Edited by chefreit (log)

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

Do you believe that there are such things as Japanese BBQ?

Why not serve yakitori (skewered grilled chicken), yakisoba, okonomiyaki (Japanese pizza?), and so on, instead of BBQ? Your friends will love them.

Try this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?...o&queryType=and

it is really great! While not a traditional dish, it combines a lot of Japanese tastes and is really simple to prepare. I normally make this for a group and use a whole side of salmon.....

The Japanese don't really BBQ in the way that Americans think of as BBQ. 90% of the "BBQ's" I have been to in Japan consist of the exact same things:

a variety of meats, seafoods, and vegetables grilled normally with out any oil or seasoning (though sometimes the meats are sprinkled with this musty tasting salt and pepper mixed product), then they are dipped into a bottled, purchased sauce. Then when everyone is full they pull out the griddle and make yakisoba...

Japanese foods that could be adapted to a BBQ:

yakitori

teriyaki sauced anything

onigiri (rice balls) are wonderful cooked on the BBQ

try some Japanese vegetables, shishito (little peppers), soramame (like fava beans) grilled in the shell, Japanese sweet potatoes wrapped in damp newspaper tehn foil and placed in teh coals for about 20 minutes

miso and scallion stuffed squids, or the same miso and scallion mixture spread onto a scallop on the half shell and then grilled

Kobe beef....

:biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I would like this to be different, elegant, ----------yet simple!

Oh, yes. torakris is right. There are such things as Japanese-style BBQ. I didn't mention it.

But I can assure you that Japanese-sytle BBQ can never be simpler than the authentic American-style one.

EDIT:

I guess you can imagine... All those vegetables that need shreadding and meat to be dipped in a special sauce before grilling...

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

Yakitori is great..... you can put anything on the skewer and just sprinkle a bit of sea salt as seasoning.

Favourite type

Green Pepper (Not the huge kind, they are shapped like jalepino pepper.)

Japanese Pumpkin (sliced thin)

Lamb with Negi

Chicken with soft bones

Organs (probably should not serve this to your guest)

If you want to do Chinese(hong kong) style bbq... there is a couple way to season the food

1.) Marinate with Soya sauce, salt, sugar, lots of minced garlic, some green onion, maybe a bit of corn starch,

2.) Get a jar of Lee Kum Kee BBQ pork sauce to marinate little cubes of pork butt and skewer them (you can find the sauce in any Chinese grocery store)

3.) Get any kind of bottled sauce and marinate (satay is always good)

Any kind of meat ball (beef, chicken, lobster, pork.... you name it and they probably make it) is also popular with chinese bbq (not the kind of bbq you find in restaurant, but the kind where people go out with a huge metal fork and a camp fire)

I worked at an Izakaya for a while, and the grill was one of my stations. I have two things to add on the yakitori front...

1. Chicken skin. there's a thread on this somewhere here... it's great, but make sure it's organic, and clean... slow dry heat... sea salt... mmmmm

2. Ox Tongue... or Gyu-Tan in Japanese.... sliced thin, say around 5mm... slightly faster heat, ..... sea salt.... mmmmm

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 3 weeks later...

Last Saturday, a barbeque party was given at my son's elementary school, as an annual event for the second grader.

Here are some of the photos I took there.

We had:

Two types of grilled meat, beef and pork,

yakitori,

grilled sausage (not shown),

miso soup with pork, vegetables, and bamboo shoots in it, and

pickled cucumbers (not shown)

We had to bring our own rice balls.

After eating enough meat, I really wished I could have some yakisoba (fried noodles) or something.

Pork:

i8755.jpg

Beef with vegetables:

i8756.jpg

Yakitori:

i8760.jpg

Miso soup:

i8757.jpg