• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen

Gavin Convery

good grief..this show is being shown EVERYDAY? i saw it on sunday..dozed off sometime around halftime..but if you look at it from a logical pov(as much logic as reality shows that 'vote off' players can have), the 'worst' ones/best actors will stick around until the very end...afterall, who wants to see a boring show where there is no conflict or drama?

afterall, who wants to see a boring show where there is no conflict or drama?

no-one, that's why viewing figures are going through the floor (despite all the well worn "shock" developments that are engineered by the programme makers).

does anyone seriously think that there is any prospect of genuine "conflict or drama" with that crowd (no matter how often Gordon says "fuck")?

no-one, that's why viewing figures are going through the floor (despite all the well worn "shock" developments that are engineered by the programme makers).

does anyone seriously think that there is any prospect of genuine "conflict or drama" with that crowd (no matter how often Gordon says "fuck")?

oh! i know! i know! this will become a hit show in america...syndication is the magic word...really, think about it..what has really gone there from across the pond...

oh! i know! i know! this will become a hit show in america...syndication is the magic word...really, think about it..what has really gone there from across the pond...

Tony Bourdain please step forward :smile:

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

Ramsay in the Guardian

Will Ramsay go down in hubris like a tragic hero? Here's the most ominous quote of all:

Ramsay, however, not only stars in Hell's Kitchen; he was its creator. Every inch of the show bears his hallmark. Marcus Wareing, Ramsay's partner, friend and protege, was there when the idea was in its infancy.

"They [the programme makers] wanted something different," he said, adding that far from being frivolous, the show had a serious intention. . . .

"He is taking this seriously. I know him better than anyone apart from his wife and family . . ."

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

His current level of exposure is an indicator of the real money you can make when you are a national figure on tv, as opposed to Britain's top classical chef. Can't blame him, make it when you can.

The show is pretty dreadful (but I hate BB and all that it has spawned), you can tell Angus Deaton is hating every minute of this.

Usually a good indicator of a programme which has experienced a lot of trouble is the amount of producers involved. As the credits roll count the producers, including producer categories I never heard of, Story Producers and Gallery Producers.

>Which is all you need to know about what C4 has turned into.

Amen to that.

I’m curious about Ramsay – at times he comes over as the caring, mentoring, wants you to do a good job kind of fellow. Then during service he flips over to a vapid rabid arsehole of the first order. Is this, perhaps, evidence of some kind of mental disorder along the lines of mini-touretts syndrome or is this just standard chef-speak? I am also curious about the continual references to balls, bollocks and the likes. Does anyone really speak like this in “real” life. And what do these constant groin-al references imply - symptom of his fear of losing it; underlying lack of self-confidence (heavily masked); or just a prat?

really, think about it..what has really gone there from across the pond...

but in return we've got tobacco, turkey and potatoes (not to mention freedom from wmd's)

Obviously, you are not grateful for TWAT*.

*The War Against Terrorism.

[blind lemon higgings]I’m curious about Ramsay – at times he comes over as the caring, mentoring, wants you to do a good job kind of fellow. Then during service he flips over to a vapid rabid arsehole of the first order. Is this, perhaps, evidence of some kind of mental disorder along the lines of mini-touretts syndrome or is this just standard chef-speak? I am also curious about the continual references to balls, bollocks and the likes. Does anyone really speak like this in “real” life. And what do these constant groin-al references imply - symptom of his fear of losing it; underlying lack of self-confidence (heavily masked); or just a prat?

I dont know about Ramsay, but profanities in media is a relatively new trend. The first time a swear word was uttered on the silver screen was in Gone with the Wind. 'Damn'. Caused a damn uproar, it did.(btw, the f word is one of the 7 unspeakables on american public television..maybe HBO/cable..definitely not for the Fnetwork either...syndication might be a problem with the f word...have you heard george carlin's 'filthy words'?..it would be VERY difficult to air the show in the states if most of it is bleeped out..i mean)

I demure to admit this, but in another life and in a different place, I have uttered such profanities that grown men have almost been reduced to tears. Well, you know what they say...karma is a bitch. Now, its like I am wandering through a karmic hall of echoes. I think swearing reduces tension in the air. It dilutes the intensity of the situation. Remember when some idiot(or not) accidentally(oops?) leaked bits of Micro$oft's sourcecode on Kaaza? A sizable chunk of it was profanities. If someone doesnt care enough, they arent going to be reckless enough to throw the four letter words at you.As I was watching the show, I couldnt help but wonder about the person/persons who trained Ramsay...good pedigree.

Re Tourette Syndrome, it does occur more in men than in women (doh). As with most disorders that makes men more vulnerable than women, it is genetic. It is often associated with OCD and ADHD...and mostly involuntary motor and vocal tics. I doubt if its TS. However excessive lack of verbal hygiene can be related to the brain's left/right imbalance...could be left hemisphere brain damage..as its impairment draws responses from the emotional right hemisphere. ex-footballer, wasnt he? re Gordon Ramsay's balls, dude, I am not going there.

I watched the show yesterday. Come now! Its good entertainment. Maybe its the continual two week screening thats the problem. Its not a true 'live' show. Its obviously edited. That makes it quite blah.

Quite proud of a friend of mine who runs the unpretentious but still rather nice bistro Tubby Wadlow's in Ilkley.

When Ramsey was up filming the 'Bonapartes' episode of Kitchen Nightmares (and if anyone wants the background of how Dim Tim actually got his job, I'll be only too eager to divulge), he was doing a stately progress around the local eateries. He (well, a member of his staff) phoned up Tubby's and got told that, no, there was no way a party of six could be got in for that Saturday.

Ten minutes later the phone rang again...'you did realise that this is for Gordon Ramsey the chef didn't you?'

To which said friend had presence of mind enough to quote Gord's famous 'I don't care if it's the effing Queen, nobody jumps the queue in my restaurant.' And put the phone down.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Bertie, spill all please...

On the mentor turned verbal... to me it's very consistent, the verbals come when he perceives someone not taking it seriously. He takes it all very seriously, and he really does want to bring people along in terms of skills, he has that mentor in him definitely. But when he senses any shift or deviation in others from being in the right space, he turns up the volume.

Yes , do divulge away Bertie.PM if needed

Old GR overstepped the mark last night by telling Vic Reeves that he" wasn't here to cook you a fucking fried egg" .Vic was a customer, and GR was so in the zone of service that he forgot who he was talking to...big mistake which he realised and sent apologies to Vic.

Old GR overstepped the mark last night by telling Vic Reeves that he" wasn't here to cook you a fucking fried egg" .Vic was a customer, and GR was so in the zone of service that he forgot who he was talking to...big mistake which he realised and sent apologies to Vic.

I know that one could argue that you must respect the customer's wishes, but given the context, it was obvious that Vic Reeves was taking the piss and if (and it's a big if) this wasn't part of some script, I really can't find any fault in what Ramsay did.

BTW, can you explain why you think that talking like that to Vic Reeves is a big mistake? Am I missing something?

Francesco

I have to agree. The customer is always right as long as he is not pulling your plonker. I hate all that "power ordering" I'll-just-have-the-egg-white-omlette-and-a-glass-of-water" bullshit.

Reeves said to Deayton they if he was at The Ivy he would have got what he asked for it. Well, as Ramsay might have put it "Do you know what big boy? You can fuck off to The Ivy and don't come back."

OKay, so people in Silsden know that Tim, nice but very dim, is really into his food. He goes off to college. On his return after not very much time, he goes into Bonapartes and chats to Sue, the landlady we all know of from the programme. He tells her he's been studying with Garry Rhodes (is it one 'r' or two? anyway...).

Which he has.

For three weeks. On a student placement.

But Sue, being even less bright than the aforementioned Tim, decides that he must be the proverbial and appoints him to bring Rhodes like cooking to the inhabitants of said Airedale town. It also explains why everything he cooked came out of recipe books.

Personally I admire his chutzpah.

My friend Andy who runs the exceptionally good Treacle Moon deli in Ilkley did a few stints at The Grouse (the other place in Silsden where, we were informed, Tim went after leaving Bonapartes) when they were short staffed. He describes a memorable incident of calling for some French Dressing to be made, and Tim reaching for a cookbook.

Hes that sort of chap

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Anyone who's done military service knows that it becomes unnatural not to use the f-word.

Soldier giving evidence in court: "I was in the park with my f.ing girl friend. We were feeling f.ing horny, so we lay down under a f.ing tree -- and then m'lord, we had intercourse."

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Well, it's the Mirror, which is kind of like the Post (as in NY rather than Washington). And these shows thrive on things such as that. Monster chef indeed...

What's the odds Edwina gets fired by Gordon? She looks like the front runner for the axe after last nights risotto and the incident the previous evening, the opportunity for John Major digs notwithstanding.

Gordon and Angela were pretty nice to James on the hotplate, but I guess everyone likes James.

Damn, how did I get hooked on this?