• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer + Food

malarkey

QUOTE (Bux @ May 18 2004, 07:08 AM)

Any thoughts about beer connoisseurs and their relationship to what they eat? Are there really fine restaurants with great beer lists? Actually, you should just feel free to expound on any aspect of the the title combination--beer & food.

Here in the PNW, its not at all uncommon to see a pretty decent beer list at the higher end restaurants. Craft beers have had a presence here since the early 80's. There is a culture of beer drinkers here that restauranteurs have recognized and attempt to provide for.

Likewise, you can go into the skankiest of shacks here and usually find a micro on tap. Might be old as shit Redhook, but hey :raz:

I've also noticed that most hardcore beerdrinkers (such as the current Q & A kids) don't "do" wine. How many people are into both? Surely I'm not that much of a rarity.

And here's another thing about Beer & Food: I can't do beer after a large meal. I can do dessert wine, or a port (especially if its Prager Aria that stuff is like a drug) till the cows come home, but I just can't do beer after a meal.

Foods that go with beer: Spicy foods (thai, indian, mex, szechuan), German food (bockwurst & mustard YES)

Foods that demand wine: French, Italian, (ok, so I spose pizza and beer is an exception) Spanish... now this is a toss up. Personally I'd probably be having fino sherry if were having tapas in San Sebastian. so, wine :raz: but I can see beer going with this. Anything "haute", or elaborately prepared, no matter the ethnicity, wine, definitely.

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Depending on my mood and the company, I can drink beer (Hefeweizen) or wine (usually Riesling) with Szechuan.

With BBQ it's beer. With French/Italian, I wouldn't even think of beer. With steaks, usually wine but I also like something like Victory lager with steak, too.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I am a hardcore beer drinker (hophead, mostly) and I "do" wine also, so count me in among those who are into both. We are probably more wine drinkers than beer drinkers, but often pair beer with food. As for AFTER dinner, if it's beer it's barleywine... that is often what we choose to go with dessert. Otherwise, it's Port or dessert wine or a good red wine with fine dark chocolate.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Depending on my mood and the company, I can drink beer (Hefeweizen) or wine (usually Riesling) with Szechuan.

With BBQ it's beer. With French/Italian, I wouldn't even think of beer. With steaks, usually wine but I also like something like Victory lager with steak, too.

I disagree about beer with Italian food; I have found that beers like (believe it or not) Tsing Tsao, Yuengling Light and Rolling Rock pair superbly with red sauce Italian and pizza, while beers like Pilsner Urquell, Victory Pils and New Belgium Blue Paddle go very well with Northern Italian.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

With BBQ it's beer.  With French/Italian, I wouldn't even think of beer.  With steaks, usually wine but I also like something like Victory lager with steak, too.

I disagree about beer with Italian food; I have found that beers like (believe it or not) Tsing Tsao, Yuengling Light and Rolling Rock pair superbly with red sauce Italian and pizza, while beers like Pilsner Urquell, Victory Pils and New Belgium Blue Paddle go very well with Northern Italian.

I can see a hoppy beer working with something in a cream sauce, such as fetuccini Alfredo, or with risotto. The hops in beer have the same palate cleansing effect as acid in wine.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I'm both a Hop-Head and a Wino, and enjoy pairing both with food.

Last year I wrote a menu for a 6 course beer dinner. It went over very well. My favorite:

Littleneck clams in Trappist ale broth, pomme frites, and Pommery mustard aioli. Served with Chimay.

Beer has such an enormous range of flavours that it can go with just about everything. I've been to some of these tasting / paired dinners and some of the pairings have been awesome. I particularly enjoyed a Belgian Brown Ale or Abbey Dubbel - Val Dieu Brune with Hangar Steak & Frites at Les Halles recently (remember that classic brasserie food was originally designed with beer in mind as brasseries were brew pubs). I find, however, that I prefer red wine with pizza. The tomato / beer thing doesn't work for me.