• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se Fire, Reopening, Rescheduling

ellenesk

I'm sweating with a March 9th reservation :shock::shock::wacko:

I hear that, we have a March 7th reservation. But, they were so pleasant and friendly the first time, I wouldnt mind if we had to change it...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I just hope Chef Keller was as compulsive about his insurance as he is about his food.  This is a great text book case for business interruption coverage.  Robyn

As a business owner who has always had business interruption insurance, that was one of my first thoughts about the fire. Is this insurance available to newly opened restaurants or even to restaurants in general? A new place wouldn't have a history to base rates on.

My second thought was if Keller used the same contractor as Rocco.

PJ

Edited by pjs (log)

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

I just heard from someone (who asked to keep her/his name anonymous) that a one-month closing is more likely than two weeks. No specific date has been set, but look for an opening around 3/17 - 3/20.

This isn't written in stone, but this person should know.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I just heard from someone (who asked to keep her/his name anonymous) that a one-month closing is more likely than two weeks. No specific date has been set, but look for an opening around 3/17 - 3/20.

This isn't written in stone, but this person should know.

march 17 ressie baby.. i'm keeping my fingers crossed..

march 17  ressie baby.. i'm keeping my fingers crossed..

It's kind of like having options for futures, isn't it? For your sake, as well as Keller's and the rest of us, let's wish Per Se luck in getting back open for business. So many restaurants open less than fully ready to live up to expectations. It sounds as if Per Se was well above the norm until this. I trust there's a lesson here about the economics of opening, running or owning a restaurant. Budget well for insurance.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

PJ

I thought Rocco's fire was started by the NBC Peacock.

I wonder if Keller will delay his return to California and stay in NYC until he feels comfortable leaving Per Se to his underlinks?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

PJ

I wonder if Keller will delay his return to California and stay in NYC until he feels comfortable leaving Per Se to his underlinks?

He better not, It's been almost three months since I've been to the French Laundry and I'm going through withdrawal. If I have to wait past May for them to re-open I think I'll start twitching :laugh:

PJ

He better not, It's been almost three months since I've been to the French Laundry and I'm going through withdrawal. If I have to wait past May for them to re-open I think I'll start twitching :laugh:

You are already twitching -- and we all thought it was attributed to your cuppas! :raz:

The latest information I've heard, from a friend who works in one of the other restaurants in the Center, is that Per Se will take 2-3 weeks to reopen.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

March 6th reversation is off!

Just received a very nice call from them.

Stupid me, forgot to ask how will they reschedule my future reservation. But I make sure they got my number (home, cell,office)correct, just in case. :raz:

Laura Cunningham, a front-of-house manager at Per Se, told the NYTimes that it will take 2-4 weeks to reopen Per Se.

As an aside, and not that it matters, but Laura was the General Manager in Yountville, and last I heard, was also dating Chef Keller.

It seems like that building has been a bit troubled.

In the 1st article published awhile ago in the NYT, wasn't Keller having problems of an electrical sort in there?

I hope he is compensated for the lost revenues.

2317/5000

Let's see. A minimum of 64 sold-out dinner covers daily--were they doing lunch yet?-- at what we can estimate at $300 per from Rich's excellent review. That adds up to 20 grand lost daily while closed (very conservatively added up). Insured or not, I see ugly, drawn-out litigation on the horizon.

This sucks. Keller is one of the last restaurateurs I would wish this upon.

PJ

Edited by pjs (log)

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

The woman I spoke to this morning said that they would be calling each cancelled-reservation-holder to reschedule. She said the calls would come in March, and that they'd be rescheduling for dates during the couple of months following.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm a little comcerned because when they called to cancel our reservation last week (from caller ID) they didn't leave a message on my wife's cell (the phone we would have had with us on the trip).

And in calling the various numbers I have for them, I only get the recorded message.

Bill Russell

My heart goes out to everyone involved in this disaster. It is kind of like santa not coming on christmas. Oh well life goes on, and I am sure when Keller reopens he will knock our socks off!

Good Luck to everyone with upcoming reservations!

Justin