• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guatemalan Food In NY

Simon Majumdar

Simon - Xelaju in Queens is the only one I know of. I've never gone but it was the darling of the Chowhound crowd for a while but that was a few years ago. I'm not sure how it is these days. It's a bit of a ratty place too. How about El Salvador? There are a few of those around. Have you had a good Papusa lately?

(Edited by Steve Plotnicki at 8:15 am on Jan. 8, 2002)

Simon, I'd be interested in hearing more about the specifics of your meal in Chicago. It might be possible to find a number of the dishes you ate at other Central and South American restaurants. Or not.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The place in chicago was, I believe called El Rinjon.  They have a few.  One serving cuban, one mexican and one Gutemalan.  I couldn't tell you where it was as I was driven there by my host

Stand out dishes included

Radish  Salads including an exceptional one with crispy pork rinds

Black Tamales

Stuffed Cornmeal dumplings

Chicken with Pineapple

Beef in a tomato and pepper sauce

None of these seem so exciting in b/w but the taste were so fresh and the spicing, spot on.  Memorable.

I know next to nothing about Latin food, so any help finding these dishes or similar would be appreciated by both me and my guest while in NY

S

• 1 month later...
Simon - Xelaju in Queens is the only one I know of. I've never gone but it was the darling of the Chowhound crowd for a while but that was a few years ago. I'm not sure how it is these days

I posted about this, but the post was eaten by the site renovation. Anyway, I've eaten at La Xelaju several times. The last couple of times, I perceived a fall-off in quality. For example, the fish in the sopa de pescado last time (a few months ago) had a distinctly fishy taste. But you have to like the family atmosphere: The mother is the cook, her daughters help out, and the grandmother hangs out at times. They're very nice. Basically, I still think La Xelaju is worth going to if you're in the area and want some Guatemalan food, but I don't think it's worth going out of your way for. YMMV.

Michael aka "Pan"