• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Everyday lunch: downtown seattle

we just moved offices to the union bank of california building downtown.

any reccomendations for regular lunches? so far we've been super busy and mostly exploring the 'food courts' in the neighborhod. nothing particularly interesting to report.

of course the market is 15 minutes away, as is salumi and the ID.

what else? cafe zum zum is on my list, perhaps bakemans, mae phim (though i was not impressed on my one visit).

Rather than Mae Phim, try Jasmine, in the Market. Newer, fresher, version - actually, related by family - and they have some Moroccan (sp?) dishes as well.

Zum zum is interesting - kind of a gut bomb though.

Bakeman's.

Gelatiamo (cheap, light sandwiches and great gelato)

Matt's in the Market.

Market Grill.

Food to go at the Mexican Market towards the North end of the Market.

Turkey sandwiches at Benaroya Hall.

Splurge at Troiani, Union, Cafe Campagne.

There is a place called Harbor Cafe - inside the lobby of the building on the corner of 4th and Union - just past Tully's. Limited menu, but freshly made - some Thai, bbq pork sandwiches, plate of the day. These are longtime restaurant people doing a silly little b'fest and lunch trade temporarily.

Welcome to the neighborhood! I'm close to you at 4th and University. There's a quite tolerable teriyaki place on the corner of 5th and Seneca, above a shoe repair shop (we affectionately call it Shoe Leather Teriyaki) that's quite good. Good for carry-out but you can eat there as well.

Don't know if you've tried the Columbia Tower (or whatever they're calling it now) food court yet, but there are a couple acceptable alternatives. I like the Vietnamese place because they have bahn mi sandwiches ($3 with a canned drink) that are terrific. My favorite is the barbecued pork. They also serve tasty beef pho and seafood pho soups. There's a Market Fresh nearby that features fresh market foods, an especially tasty salad bar. And there's a little Indian place that has your choice of two tasty Indian entrees plus rice and salad for a very reasonable price.

At the Marion Court, on 3rd and Marion, I like Cafe Zum Zum on Fridays when all vegetarian curries are on special. Also noteworthy are the Thai place, pizza place, and Taco Del Mar.

Don't let traveling time/distance deter you. You can hop a 3rd Avenue bus and cut some traveling time off a pleasant lunch hour at the Pike Place Market (or even an early lunch at Salumi).

Edited by bbqer (log)

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

I'm in the (smaller of the two) Federal building on 1st/Western and Marion/Madison, and I've found it's worth the walk (a bit further for you, I know) to the many, many options in the Market. I am constantly surprised at the lack of good takeout options downtown. If you are close to a bus tunnel entrance you can whisk to the Westlake stop, walk up to the 3rd and Pine exit, and only have to walk a couple blocks to the market. Same with the ID-the ID stop spits you out right by Uwajimaya.

Otherwise, downtown, sometimes I get shrimp tacos at Blue Water Tacos at 2nd and Madison-their agua frescas are delicious, esp. in the summer when they have Jamiaca (Hibiscus). Bakeman's is allright for cheap ($3.50!!) sandwiches, ie egg salad. If you are craving salad there's a good salad bar at the SE corner of 3rd and Madison (the hot foods part of the buffet isn't very good, thought).

There's a good Teriyako place called "Happy Teriyaki" on 5th Ave between Pike and Pine. It's in the basement of the building beside Banana republic.

Good teriyaki and we used to go there a lot when we worked in that area.

The Noodle Shop place in the Westlake mall is actually pretty good too.

Has that SAM Cafe opened yet?

Turkey sandwiches at Benaroya Hall.

There is a place called Harbor Cafe - inside the lobby of the building on the corner of 4th and Union - just past Tully's. Limited menu, but freshly made - some Thai, bbq pork sandwiches, plate of the day. These are longtime restaurant people doing a silly little b'fest and lunch trade temporarily.

Are these at the Gretchen's counter in there? Are they roasted turkey breast? Yum. My favorite turkey breast sandwiches are at The Crumpet Shop on First.

I went into the Harbor Cafe one day (looking for Lucy's Tacqueria - I don't get out much) but it looked like most of the other places tucked in the office buildings. You know, where they buy stuff from Costco and re-package it to sell to office employees. I'll have to take a closer look.

There's a decent sushi place in a food court on 4th Avenue, just south of City Kitchens. I can't remember the name now, but I'll check it out next time I'm by there and post it.

I'm at 5th and University and I am always dismayed at the lack of good, fast lunch options.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

i used to work in the BoC...we had a 'deli' in the lobby we all tried assiduously to avoid!

in addition to the recs above - i was a fan of specialty's on third...across from zum zum. obscene cookies.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

i used to work in the BoC...we had a 'deli' in the lobby we all tried assiduously to avoid!

in addition to the recs above - i was a fan of specialty's on third...across from zum zum. obscene cookies.

Ditto on the deli in BOC. :laugh: I used to work there too. Now I'm in the Pacific Building, just a short walk from Salumi! For me, it's always worthwhile to walk to the ID and eat cheap and well. I avoid "food courts" like Columbia Tower, Marion Court and the like. And I agree with reesek - love Specialties' cookies. If you walk up Madison across the bridge over the freeway, there's a fairly decent Vietnamese place that serves good pho and other cheap dishes. Alittle further up Madison is the Polish deli.

I love the Market Grill - everything they make is sublime. For cheaper eats I like a sausage sammich at Uli's (also in the Market). Tried one of the Louisiana Hots today - it was indeed very hot - deelicious.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Some of the other places I like to go for lunch in downtown Seattle in no particular order.

Saigon - Pike Market

Cheap and good Vietnamese stuff.

Turkish Delight - Pike Market

Turkish/Mediterranean food

Osaka Teriyaki - Corner of 2nd and Pike

Not a nice interior but food is great and cheap

DeLaurenti - 1st and Pike

Great sandwiches and Pizza

Jai Thai - 1st and Lenora in Belltown

Thai food

Jasmine - Post alley between Pike and Pine in the Market

Very nice Thai and Moroccan food

Typhoon

Pricier Thai food

Pan-African Cafe - 1st Ave between Pike and Pine

African food

I went into the Harbor Cafe one day (looking for Lucy's Tacqueria - I don't get out much) but it looked like most of the other places tucked in the office buildings. You know, where they buy stuff from Costco and re-package it to sell to office employees. I'll have to take a closer look.

Do. Definitely freshly prepared food. And many self-published cookbooks for sale. I miss Lucy's, but this fills a different niche. Good swimming angel, salmon, shrimp, tasty curry. Nice people. They owned Lemongrass Grill at Greenlake, also the quickly departed Harborside (?) - at 98 Union. Said the biz was fine for summer, but the winter was just too long to survive in that location. Judy Lew and Chef Rut.

I went to Matt's in the Market for the first time last week and loved it. Now I see what everybody is talking about :smile: I had the recommended catfish po boy and it was huge and delicious with a salad of baby greens, blue cheese and sunflower seeds. They were so friendly and I even got in on a little wine tasting because the owner of Syncline was there with an open bottle of his new Subduction Red. They were pretty booked even at 11:30 although if you're a single you can usually get a spot then. I was just there for a to-go order.

Some of the other places I like to go for lunch in downtown Seattle in no particular order.

Saigon - Pike Market

Cheap and good Vietnamese stuff.

Does anyone know where in the Pike Place Market Saigon is located? I've never run across it. :huh: Thanks!

Does anyone know where in the Pike Place Market Saigon is located? I've never run across it.  Thanks!
[tsquare]North end of the market, behind the funky ice cream parlor. Near Emmett Watsons. Across from the german deli. Not far from the original Starbucks. (and the tasty, cheap mex to go deli.)

Thanks, tsquare! I walked over there for lunch and had a nice pork bahn mi. It looked like their seafood pho was pretty tasty as well.

• 1 month later...

Do. Definitely freshly prepared food. And many self-published cookbooks for sale. I miss Lucy's, but this fills a different niche. Good swimming angel, salmon, shrimp, tasty curry. Nice people. They owned Lemongrass Grill at Greenlake, also the quickly departed Harborside (?) - at 98 Union. Said the biz was fine for summer, but the winter was just too long to survive in that location. Judy Lew and Chef Rut.

Thanks to tsquare for turning me on to this great lunch place. Harbor Cafe's daily specials are quite tasty. For example, a generous portion of lean pork loin, vegetable, housemade mashed potatoes (with bits of potato skin), and gravy is Tuesday's feature. Wednesday brings pot roast of beef, thick sliced, fork tender, au jus, with aforementioned mashed taters and a vegetable. Most of their specials and other plates are just $5.95 -- $6.50 with tax -- and generously portioned. They taste a few notches above something just thrown together as well...thought has gone into their preparation and seasoning.

My other favorites include a nice, spicy chicken curry with carrots and potatoes and chicken breast pieces, over jasmine rice. Yummy and actually spicier than most offerings of this type.

Last but not least, their barbeque sandwich is presented on a nice bakery roll, very fully stacked with pulled pork in a thick, spicy barbeque sauce that doesn't run off when you eat it. Served with a small bag of chips, this is a tasty treat for lunch.

The Harbor Cafe is on the west side of 4th Avenue between Union and Pike, and usually has a sandwich board sign on the sidewalk, in front of the building where they're locate, showing featured lunches for the day. These folks could use a big more business IMHO, so if you are in the area, give them a try for lunch. You won't be sorry.

Speaking of the Saigon Cafe-they make some good stuff but steer clear of the salad bowls. This usually one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes but here they are bland, bland, bland. Not a fresh herb in sight.

(Re: Saigon Cafe in Pike Place Market.)Thanks, tsquare! I walked over there for lunch and had a nice pork bahn mi. It looked like their seafood pho was pretty tasty as well.

I like their seafood noodles too. They are not really like beef pho, the noodles are the thin rice vermicelli kind, and the broth is clear with tomato in it. Seafood = chunks of fish, prawns and squid. Tart, briny and comforting.

I also like the more subtle chicken and baby bok choy noodle soup. It's got a garnish of toasted crunchy garlic bits on top, and always leaves me feeling well-nourished and happy afterwards for hours.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Speaking of the Saigon Cafe-they make some good stuff but steer clear of the salad bowls. This usually one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes but here they are bland, bland, bland. Not a fresh herb in sight.

Yeah, there are a few things there that are just... like that for some reason. The bahn mi is ok, but it doesn't have the pate spread in it. Rather it's a whimpier pate and mayo mixture, and no chilies. I still get it with one of their soups when I want a more substantial lunch, but other bahn mi are better.

I suspect theirs could be just as good as the rest if they didn't leave out those stronger tasting ingredients. Maybe it was a concession to tourists.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-