• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak

Carlovski

I just read this, written by the head Chef of Juniper restaurant in Altrincham

With this recipe I want to pay tribute to beef which is, and always will be, the most popular dish on Juniper’s menu. But not all beef is good. Rib eye is just a disgraceful, scrappy, chewy, over-rated meat. It’s a cut cheap restaurants use so they can say they’ve got steak on the menu. But, in my opinion, all the top restaurants should serve fillet steak because it is the king of meat and no other cut can get close to toppling its crown. Generally fillet gets a hard time because it’s expensive and has less taste than sirloin. But fillet is more delicate, has less fat and cooks more quickly, therefore retaining all major proteins, vitamins and minerals. The unusual way we cook it at Juniper – by slow baking – puts the flavour back into the meat. The end result is a fillet that is wonderfully tender, moist and has very little colour because it is baked so slowly any blood is cooked throughout the meat, unlike when you fry or grill when the outside of the steak is seared but when you cut it you’re left with blood all over your plate

?

I like chewy, bloody and seared!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Generally fillet gets a hard time because it’s expensive and has less taste than sirloin. But fillet is more delicate, has less fat and cooks more quickly, therefore retaining all major proteins, vitamins and minerals.
?

And flavorful and fatty.

i like mine in a tataki

charred out side, raw inside

sliced thinly

served with ice cold Soba

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I guess I won't be eating at Juniper. One doesn't order steak because one wants a baked piece of meat. I'll order the roast if that's the case. And it doesn't get bloody if you let it rest even a short time.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I just read this, written by the head Chef of Juniper restaurant in Altrincham
Generally fillet gets a hard time because it’s expensive and has less taste than sirloin. But fillet is more delicate, has less fat and cooks more quickly, therefore retaining all major proteins, vitamins and minerals. The unusual way we cook it at Juniper – by slow baking – puts the flavour back into the meat. The end result is a fillet that is wonderfully tender, moist and has very little colour because it is baked so slowly any blood is cooked throughout the meat, unlike when you fry or grill when the outside of the steak is seared but when you cut it you’re left with blood all over your plate

?

Huh? "...puts the flavour back into the meat." How odd. Where had that flavour gone that it needed to be retreived? I'm with Carlovski and others. Make mine charred on the outside, nice and rare inside. Otherwise, we might as well go back to the old chuck wagon days when all meat was cooked well done (or beyond).

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Now I know what NOT to order if I ever go to Juniper.

I don't understand his self-contradiction: if fillet cooks more quickly, why does slow baking improve it? And the chef gives away his ignorance when he talks about the "blood . . . cooked throughout the meat" -- it's NOT blood, never was, never will be.

The chef is also ignoring the wonderful variety of tastes and textures from one beast. Flank, chuck, short rib, filet, sirloin... The list is long. Then there is the "fifth quarter": tripe, oxtail, etc.

It's analagous to saying that tuna is the only seafood worth cooking and eating! Crazy talk!

With this recipe I want to pay tribute to beef which is, and always will be, the most popular dish on Juniper’s menu. But not all beef is good. Rib eye is just a disgraceful, scrappy, chewy, over-rated meat. It’s a cut cheap restaurants use so they can say they’ve got steak on the menu. But, in my opinion, all the top restaurants should serve fillet steak because it is the king of meat and no other cut can get close to toppling its crown. Generally fillet gets a hard time because it’s expensive and has less taste than sirloin. But fillet is more delicate, has less fat and cooks more quickly, therefore retaining all major proteins, vitamins and minerals. The unusual way we cook it at Juniper – by slow baking – puts the flavour back into the meat. The end result is a fillet that is wonderfully tender, moist and has very little colour because it is baked so slowly any blood is cooked throughout the meat, unlike when you fry or grill when the outside of the steak is seared but when you cut it you’re left with blood all over your plate

This man is clearly an idiot.

abourdain

I like that nice bit of seared-on char on the outside myself, although maybe not quite as rare as many of you on the inside (pink but not quite dark red, please).

The only thing I agree with him on is the filet. It does get a bad rap and is my favorite piece of beef when cooked right, which isn't too hard to do. It has enough flavor and I like the texture too.

Bill Russell

for those who don't know about Juniper or it's chef, the beef is pretty much the only recognisable dish you are likely to get - Have a look at the website (Link in original post). Lots of use of slightly 'alternative' ingredients (Weetabix, branston pickle, malted milk powder).

I can't comment really, as I haven't been, but he has got plenty of rave reviews.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Feh.

:wacko:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I love a thick seared rib eye finished in a 300 degree oven.

I do have a few fillets in the fridge and I would like to give the 25 minute method a try. Anyone know what 150 degrees is in Farenheit?

about 300 degrees ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I love a thick seared rib eye finished in a 300 degree oven.

I do have a few fillets in the fridge and I would like to give the 25 minute method a try. Anyone know what 150 degrees is in Farenheit?

302 in farenheit.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Did anyone else look at the picture on the website? It looks like a brick of shit in foil. And that yellow stuff around it? Piss--vitamin enriched and slow cooked! (Braised in piss!!!)

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Did anyone else look at the picture on the website? It looks like a brick of shit in foil. And that yellow stuff around it? Piss--vitamin enriched and slow cooked! (Braised in piss!!!)

SML

When I looked back at the photograph, I can see why you have come to this conclusion ... :laugh:

well put, SML .... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"