• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-treyf foods Jews just didn't eat

Pan

Stuff that is or isn't kosher is not arbitrary, that's true. What is completely arbitrary is the stuff that IS kosher that many Jews won't touch anyway because it's somehow, well, "spoiled" is the good rabbi's word.

thanks Cakewalk--that was my original question.

and thanks everyone else for detailed info. illuminating.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

By the way, though Ashkenazi Jews are named after Germany, I believe that they were in the Frankish Kingdom and the Carolingian Holy Roman Empire first, and picked up some French-derived words that way.

Whether our ancestors' sojourn in France did much to Ashkenazic cuisine is another question.

For what it's worth, the Carolingian Empire included modern-day Germany. There are records of Jewish communities in West Francia (which later become France), East Francia (which - very loosely - later became Germany) and Lotharingia (the bit in the middle which became the Low Countries and Burgundy).

It's not clear that 'French' cuisine from the period had much to do with the mdern French cooking tradition, although there is an interesting story in Notker the Stammerer's Life of Charlemagne about Charlemagne trying Brie for the first time. For the record, he didn't eat the rind.

</medieval history geekiness>

For the record, mentally maintaining categories of food as "spoiled" is not unique to Jewish experience. My own mother has a number of what we would call "normal" foods that she thought were spoiled, contaminated, or similarly inedible, etc, and were not allowed in the house.

ducks and geese were served on special occasions and by well to do jews - there are many references in sholem aleichem's stories to "gebrotene genzlach " (roasted geese), always as highly desirable but, alas, unattainable!

For what it's worth, the Carolingian Empire included modern-day Germany.

Charlemagne's empire was pretty vast. Here's a map.

My ancestors on my father's side, as I mentioned, were in Worms, in the Rhineland (now Germany) before they took refuge in Poland.

Michael aka "Pan"

As a Jew of Mizrahi (middle east) origin, we ate typical arab foods. No pork of course and lots of rice. Now things we didn't eat, Ashkenazic cuisine :biggrin:

My brother was at Katz deli in NYC and is telling the guy behind the counter that he wants his pastrami extra extra lean. The comes back with do you want that on white bread. Too funny

Pan, you 've mentioned Worms a couple of times now, so I have got to tell you that in one of my History of World Civilization classes, everytime I read about the Diet of Worms, it would start one of those giggling fits that just get worse the more you try to stop. So everytime I saw that Worms, that was the only thing I could think of. :biggrin:

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Katherine--that was great! Now I'm going to have to see if the little sprouts at the library will let me read it!

I just always thought they could of come up with a different word!!!

Are non-Jewish folks allowed to attend a service? Do I need to call the Temple here in town and speak to someone? It's only three blocks away, and I have found myself overwhelmingly curious about it. Any suggestions?

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Are non-Jewish folks allowed to attend a service? Do I need to call the Temple here in town and speak to someone? It's only three blocks away, and I have found myself overwhelmingly curious about it. Any suggestions?

There are no restrictions on who may attend, if you are speaking of a temple or synagogue there ... go and enjoy! and learn!

No better way to do that short of "up close and personal" .. and it won't resemble "Blazing Saddles", I can assure you! :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The other movie I was thinking of had that Richard feller who was Helen Hunt's husband on Mad About You as a Jewish man who was leading these settlers who had gotten fed up with the Wild West, and were doing the wagon train--reverse. It's hilarious, and the lady who turned me on to it was 82!

The "injun" scenes in that are also quite hilarious.

Tried to rent "Blazing Saddles"--no one had it--just found it at the library online.

That's great to be able to visit. I will definitely do that.