• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Menus without prices

Wiener

I was wondering if there are many restaurants in New Jersey that carry menus , that do not show prices. If you want to invite someone to a fancy dinner but know they will be intimidated by the high prices, what do you do?

I know I read about such menus but haven't seen any in New Jersey. Curious.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

i don't know of any place in NJ like this. in fact, i don't know of many places anywhere like this. even restaurants that offer only a fixed price will generally list the price somewhere on the menu. although, i suppose that some places do offer a menu sans prices in addition to the regular menu. but i really can't even think of an example.

in summary, i'm of no help here.

iin summary, i'm of no help here.

But thanks for trying. ;-)

I'm just guessing, but I think some places would accomodate by printing up a special menu without prices. With computers, it's no big deal. If it's a party of about 8 or more, it should be even less of a problem.

I was wondering if there are many restaurants in New Jersey that carry menus , that do not show prices...

The only place I've seen a menu without prices was Beacon Hill CC in Middletown. The menu was distributed to the ladies at the table. However their food is mediocre and that's why we're no longer a member there.

:D

Dominick's on Arthur Ave. in the Bronx is the only place I know for sure that does this. Then again, I've always felt that Dominick's changes the prices depending on how much they like you.

Actually, to be strictly accurate, Dominick's doesn't have prices on the menu mostly because they don't HAVE a menu.

In New Jersey? Can't think of one yet.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I think it's a custom that has pretty much died out. There was a place in Trenton, the Bond Street Club, which was a members only dining club, and the guests did not get the prices.

Diamond's in Chamberburg also had that policy when I first moved back to NJ..12 years ago only the men got menus with prices. But that is not their practice any longer, and hasn't been for a while.

Perhaps you can call ahead, and pre order a tasting menu , and they can print up the course descriptions for you. I know Rats will gladly do this, even put your special occassion as the heading.

At the better restaurants in Europe, they only give the males menus with prices, the females get ones without prices. (Sir Walter Raleigh lives on).

But I think that Mikeczyz suggestion about calling ahead will work most of the time, many restaurants use computer printouts these days.

(Reciting specials without prices is a whole other issue, a real pet peeve of mine. Has this been discussed on another thread?)

I think it's a custom that has pretty much died out. There was a place in Trenton, the Bond Street Club, which was a members only dining club, and the guests did not get the prices.

Diamond's in Chamberburg also had that policy when I first moved  back to NJ..12 years ago only the men got menus with prices. But that is not their practice any longer, and hasn't been for a while. 

Perhaps you can call ahead, and pre order a tasting menu , and they can print up the course descriptions  for you. I know Rats will gladly do this, even put your special occassion as the heading.

What she said. It's a pre-feminist holdover from when men were still gentlemen and paid for their dinner companions and didn't necessarily count on gettin' lucky on a first date. :blink::laugh:

Menus for Chef Tables at Striped Bass were alway printed without pricing. The host already knew the pricing as they'd set up the dinner. Menu was on the left side, wine selections on the right side, wines would be priced ONLY on the Host's copy of the menu.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

(Reciting specials without prices is a whole other issue, a real pet peeve of mine.  Has this been discussed on another thread?)

The recitation of specials with or without prices is bothersome for people like me, that is, brain dead with no retention. I don't understand why restaurants can change menus frequently but can't print the specials daily.

At the better restaurants in Europe, they only give the males menus with prices, the females get ones without prices.  (Sir Walter Raleigh lives on). 

Note:I edited the the poster's (menton1) name out, because I'm using the quote as a springboard to the hypothetical absurd.

What happens if there are two or more women (or even a -gasp- woman alone) dining together, without a man? Do they get the meal free? Or do they have to order without a clue as to what it might cost? :unsure:

What happens if there are two or more women (or even a -gasp- woman alone) dining together, without a man? Do they get the meal free? Or do they have to order without a clue as to what it might cost? :unsure:

Good question; but I think if you asked this question of Taillevent or Lucas Carton they might bristle a bit!! :shock:

• 3 weeks later...

I've learned last night that Martini's in South Amboy distributes a menu to the ladies that don't show prices. They use it all year.

The food's expensive ($30-$40 ala carte), but pretty good. Live piano. Nice cozy place. Good place to impress a date.

:D

What's the difference between "without prices" and "market price" ?

We were in the Reno Hilton the other night and the menu had abalone at "market price."

I always feel like what they are really saying is, "If you have to ask you can't afford it."

I also always wonder if this is something they really have it in stock or just scoot out the back door saying," We're got a sucker in here. Anybody got any abalone,"

dave

I also always wonder if this is something they really have it in stock or just scoot out the back door saying," We're got a sucker in here. Anybody got any abalone,"

that would be a little odd i think.

m/p selections are usually those whose prices vary with the market. strange fresh fish, such as your abalone, come to mind.