• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza By the Slice

menton1

The Pizza thread now going on this forum has for the most part concentrated on whole pies, or bar pies, eaten like a meal. On the NY side, they have done a report mostly of Pizza by the slice.

If New York has their DiFara's, are there comparable places in New Jersey where, you can get a slice or two of pizza that will be fresh, good, and not oxidized? The vast majority of NJ slice pizza is awful.

It would be interesting to hear of good, pizza-by-the-slice available in the Garden State. Thanks! (No bar pies on this thread, please!)

i don't think many pizza places in NJ do the kind of business volume that would enable them to offer a good, fresh slice. Benny's in Hoboken might be an exception. but just about every pizza place i've ever been in has a cold nasty looking pie sitting around for slices. i'd be interested in finding the exceptions.

Pizza Town in Lodi (westbound side of rt46 right past the Garden State Pwy) has probably the best single slices that I know of. They don't make too many pies in advance. There are no extras on the slices and the sauce is homemade. The place looks like it was an old Wessons. They seem to serve enough slices to keep the pies fresh.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Benny's in Hoboken might be an exception.

Benny's? Is that Benny Tudino's. I moved out of Hoboken in 1980 and have hardly been back since, but is Benny Tudino's still in business. Up Washington somewhere around 11th or 12th? Best Albanian pizza I hever had!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Benny's in Hoboken might be an exception.

Benny's? Is that Benny Tudino's. I moved out of Hoboken in 1980 and have hardly been back since, but is Benny Tudino's still in business. Up Washington somewhere around 11th or 12th? Best Albanian pizza I hever had!

yes, but down on 6/7 iirc.

I just came back from a late lunch at Palumbo Pizza in Holmdel.

I sampled the plain Sicilian and regular. Their pizza is not doughy, as compared to typical Jersey pizzerias. The sauce is flavorful, chunky and doesn't taste like tin. Also the dough is very good. I'm happy because this place is in my area and, IMHO, they stand above all the local pizza joints!

I must add, however, I've not had the same favorable experience with their take-out pies. Go there for a "pizza by the slice!"

Palumbo Restaurant & Pizza

Holmdel Towne Center

Route 35

Holmdel, NJ 07733

732-671-8820/8933

This place is added as one of my favorites.

Keep eatin'!!

:Dave

:D

just the regular gas ovens. But the sicilian pans are well seasoned, the dough is coated with olive oil, which results in a delicious, browned crust. I started making pizzas when I was 14 & trust me. This is the real deal.

Zeman

went to Rose pizza tonite.

not all that special, but a good slice. rather oily, and full of flavor, just as you'd expect from a good local pizza joint. the crust was thinner than most, but drooped a bit (not super crispy). the ingredients and cooking method, however, seemed relatively standard.

it's on River Road, basically across from that Spanish joint (Pescador), in a strip mall. and for anyone wondering, River Road and 21/20 are the best roads to go btwn route 3 and route 4, without a doubt. who needs the stinkin Porkway.

i should add that i'd love to have this place local to my home, as i'd definitely order from it all of the time.

Edited by tommy (log)

as an 30 year plus professional chef and allpurpose food guy expat new york/NJ now living in "The Valley" of LA, i gotta tell you there's nothing like NYC style pizza by the slice. preferably a "reheat." they don't even come close out here. anything cooked in Ft. Lee or Englewood is great. i was a regular at both the Ft. Lee and Plaza diners circa early 70's and still swear they had the best rice pudding ever !!!

---Chef Sam----