• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandolines

mamster

There is no need to sharpen the blade on a Benriner as it can be replaced with a new flat blade.

But it's so easy to sharpen, why not if you have the tools and skill

This comment was in response to Keith's comment above that you can't sharpen the blade on a Benriner. Actually taking mine out, it would be easy enough to remove the blade and sharpen it on stones, so I agree with you.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 6 months later...

I'd buy it. I'd also carefully inspect the blade assembly first. Some manufacturers use a deceptively heavy body, with an extremely lightweight blade assembly. When the edge of the blade turns over from use, it can't be removed for sharpening. I've bought cheap plastic mandolines, that outlasted their heavier metal brothers, ya know? Buyer beware, is all I'm saying...

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

It would be nice to be able to inspect the blade assembly first, but since this is mail order, an inspection of the return policy might be in order instead. It does look like a nice mandoline at a good price...enough so that it tempts me...however, I'm still doing well with the cheap plastic gizmo I bought some years back, so I think I can resist this temptation.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ive been using this one for years:

http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN3-Wide-Body-Large-Slicer/dp/B00032RZNK/ref=pd_sbs_k_1/180-0291145-3084648

this is the larger of the two sizes and well worth it.

this is the smaller:

http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN1-Japanese-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B0000VZ57C/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_z/180-0291145-3084648

its too narrow.

but the price is close to the sale youve mentioned.

is the one you are interested in a "brand" name of that type or a knock off?

this might be the "brand name":

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/de-buyer-deluxe-dicing-mandoline/?pkey=e%7Cmandolin%7C8%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule-_-

at BB&B:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/OXO-Good-Grips-reg-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/1014640630?Keyword=mandoline+slicer

this is the one gadget guru at Test kitchen liked. coupon-able.

this is what Id get if my japanese one dies.

also at BB&B:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/microplane-reg-cut-safe-glove/1016566527

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)

That larger Benriner looks nice. I keep thinking that a slanted blade would get a better cut than a straight-across blade, but I haven't tested to see whether that's true. Any thoughts on that?

Rotuts is right that the mandoline Shel posted about originally looks like a knockoff of the Williams-Sonoma version; on the other hand, the Williams-Sonoma version is pricey, pricey, pricey. Is any mandoline worth that much any more?

I tried the Oxo V-cut mandoline one time and took it back. I found that the V-shaped blade made a pinch point and was forever getting jammed with stuff that prevented a good cut. A lot of people seem to like it, but I wouldn't have one.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This looks like an MIU product. I've used it two or three times -- which is not a lot of experience -- but my impression was that it wasn't very sturdy, despite what appears to be a decent design. IIRC, the frame is too narrow to provide a lot of stability, and when you get up to speed, it starts to rock from side to side. If you want a "true" mandoline -- as opposed to a V-slicer or ceramic slicer (nothing wrong with those, but they're not the same thing), I think you're going to have to spend a bit more money.

And yeah, get at least one glove for your slicing hand.

Edited by Dave the Cook
typo (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

The brand of the gadget in Shel's original post is MIU or so says my receipt... which appears to be a European competitor to Bron and friends. I'm very happy with the Bron I randomly lucked into in the JBPrince clearance bin for $30 10 or so years ago. But I've got relatives for whom this looks like an ideal gadget gift.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

A Bron for thirty bucks is a great deal!

And I agree that for occasional use, the MIU is probably fine -- and probably worth about $45. But if you want a serious tool for frequent use, and you aren't lucky enough to be hanging out by the right clearance bin at the right time, you should expect to pay more.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I saw the OXO V-slicer being used on Test Kitchen. it seemed pretty slick. granted whey wouldn't use un-slick video on one

of their req.s

is the point that the tip of the V somehow interferes with smooth slicing?

I saw the OXO V-slicer being used on Test Kitchen. it seemed pretty slick. granted whey wouldn't use un-slick video on one

of their req.s

is the point that the tip of the V somehow interferes with smooth slicing?

That was my experience. The design is successful enough that it may not be a big issue; nonetheless I wouldn't be inclined to try it again. It seems to me that unless the blades are perfectly sharp and perfectly aligned, there will either be a gap that does not cut at all, or a buildup of material ahead of the blades that jams in the notch.

I guess I have to ask--why do you want a mandoline? IMO, the mandoline is useful for paper thin slicing, maybe some other unusual cuts. A food processor can be good and certainly safer to use for julienne and some slicing. Your best tool, though, are your knife skills. With practice (and maybe some knife skills classes) you can do anything a mandoline can do, and you can do it more cheaply, just as fast, and more safely.

IMO, a mandoline is tricky to use, even by pros. One moment of inattention, and you can have a very bad cut on your hand. In my experience, a disturbing number of restaurant kitchen horror stories involve someone using a mandoline.

I'm not familiar with the mandoline in your link. I will caution you that the "safety food holder," which is similar to something that came with my Benriner slicer, is not that stable. In fact, if you go fast, with enough pressure on it, your hand can slip off the holder towards the blade. That happened to me, though I was quick enough to get my hand out of the way and avoid injury.

I've been told that a kevlar glove will give you some protection, and it's essential if you use a mandoline, but it's not 100% foolproof against injury.

So pardon me for asking, why do you want a mandoline?

So pardon me for asking, why do you want a mandoline?

I didn't actually say I wanted one, but the thought crossed my mind that, if this was a good deal and a quality product, it might be worth trying eo see if I liked it and how much use it got.

... Shel

Im not the OP. I use mine in a home kitchen about 1 x week Potatoes, white and yellow, red onions, tomatoes.

I did radishes a few times and saw them a potentially dangerous. don't ever let a child or an inattentive adult near them.

its very true that the injuries these cause are severe. they are not cuts that can be easly sewn up. I have seen several.

they are shavings of the pads of your fingers and the palm of your hand. 2 mm? 3 mm ? etc

the healing time is lengthy and painful.

I only use mine when i can concentrate and not be in any hurry. preferably well before I pull a cork.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Nasty cuts indeed.

I use mine at least weekly too. Ever make a big dish of potatoes augratin or potato chips with a knife? No thanks.

Kevlar glove is essential ...or a towel...or the holder.

• Like 1

Just ordered the 2 items, the mandolin and the food mill. Will report; YMMV, naturally! For less than $100.00, I call it merry Christmas to me!

• Like 2

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Ill second the Benriner recommendation. Ive used tons of different mandolines in various kitchens, but I always come back to the trusty benriner for making uniform paper thin slices. If you are going to use it to make gaufrettes or something you will want something like you linked in the OP

Received both items via UPS this morning. Food mill has a leg that came off in transit, it is metal, held on by an expansion of the metal it's made from, I'm not strong enough to compress the part and put it back together. Called Cutlery and More, talked to ONE guy, he asked for the invoice #, gave it, got put on hold for no more than a minute, and was told to please KEEP the food mill, and that I would be issued a 39.95 credit, and will be getting email to that effect. Talk about surprised! Now it's gonna be wait and see...

These products are of French design and made in China to the French specs. I'm amazed! Hope it's as good as it sounds!

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"