• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

They know you for your amazing...

Verjuice

cheesecake, my husband would say (he can never make up his mind between the german chocolate one and what he calls the 3-pounder (NY cheesecake, lots of it), followed very quickly by chocolate mousse and the spicy creme brulee (a healthy amount of guajillo chilli powder mixed with the sugar on top). I'm gluten-intolerant, so my desserts are flourless (and usually decadent)...

belgian waffles, would be the response of the Christmas morning brunch crowd (I make waffles until no one can eat any more. was busy til after two pm the last time). of course, the fresh strawberrries and whipped cream don't hurt the enthusiasm levels any

I think the hush puppies are headed towards signature territory.

Oh yes, they are! :wub:

I can't think of a particular standout, but folks always ask me to make the "hoover doovers." My pate's damn good, as are my sausage rolls.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh yes, they are! :wub:

I can't think of a particular standout, but folks always ask me to make the "hoover doovers." My pate's damn good, as are my sausage rolls.

I second the hush puppy nomination. I hovered and watched their creation.

Mine, lately, would be pork butt. Slow cooked pork shoulder/butt with NC style bbq sauce. I've knocked out folks on a regular basis with this despite almost burning my brother's deck down a few weeks ago. :hmmm:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I second the hush puppy nomination. I hovered and watched their creation

I'll third the nomination. Madame Chairperson, may we bring the assembly to order and conclude the votes? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I don't believe in signature dishes. To me that means I've spent too much time on one thing and it's time to learn something new.

i know what you mean.

still, friends allways seem to want me to make my pizza, which is very good (mostly because of the crust), and my standard rogan josh, which is nowhere near the real thing. pies (again, because of the crust) are in demand, too. when we visit others, strangely they allways want my advice on sauce (and then "oh, by the way, could you sharpen my rather dull knives?").

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Maybe Al and I should get together with Maggie and make a down-home meal or hoors doovers and pork butt with hush puppies. :wink:

The hush puppies work better if Al is hovering, even if they do end up looking like "blobs" according to the Raleigh Observer. :rolleyes:

I rely on a couple of signature dishes because my ability to cook something

really good tends to fluctuate from day to day. I am most often asked to

bring the following:

Avacado mousse w/homemade tortilla chips

Curried sweet potato fillo triangles

Pear and leek tarts ( original recipe from Epicurious but I tweaked it a bit).

Melissa

Meat.

For whatever reason, I'm really good at cooking meat and none of our friend seem to be. It really doesn't matter what kind of meat either.

That said, if I ask, people always say that want my ribs. I've been tempted to just start having rib day once a month to meet the demand.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

When i cook at home ( which is not often enough) My Mini manicotti is always requested at family pot lucks. (I use rigatoni instead) if any are leftover, great cold as finger food in school lunches.

Cabbage rolls,

Burned black chicken thighs, ( skin thighs, and toss in bowl of lea and perrins and balsamic and whatever spices are handy, celery salt is good- and put in hot oven in single layer(400 or so) turn once or twice- chicken is ready when burned and black, and falling off the bone

I keep the fridge stocked all summer with my homemade raspberry juice.

1) Butternut squash soup with cranberry purée and maple cream. This has won a couple of cooking contests for me.

2) Ratatouille (Cook's Illustrated recipe) with goat cheese and fried polenta

3) Orange and chocolate chunk cookies.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 4 weeks later...

Mostly guests just eat themselves into a stupor no matter what I serve. Many raves for my mashed potato casserole, carrot pudding, mushroom-stuffed squash and chocolate chunk cookies.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Aside from my gravlax recipe, which I now do with an Asian twist, I have been known for my cheesecake (which I made repeatedly for my catering clients) and my best dessert called, with great affection, "the Snake" .. :rolleyes:

Phyllo ring filled with my homemade marzipan and orange blossom water ... very crispy and buttery and made in a coil on a pizza pan!! Topped with confectioners sugar and sifted cinnamon .. very Moroccan .. which is where I spent two years as a child ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"