• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Web sources for Japanese ingredients

tlc

Your best bet would be looking in an Asian market, I remember seeing some at a Japanese grocer in Columbus, Ohio a couple years back. Japan and the US have different voltages and it would be best to buy one made for use in the US. Most of the Japanese electronic makers have a version of some sort.

Anyone in the US ever bought one?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello-

I am looking to buy gomashio (black sesame with salt) on the internet. So far I have found a few sites that sell it, but have large shipping and handling.

I am only looking to buy 3 or 4 bottles, so I know I am going to have some troubles, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other good web sites to buy gomashio from?

I have tried the Asian markets around town, but I do not have many to chose from.

Any help would be helpfull!

domo arigato

Maybe someonelse can help you find an internet site, since I have no experience buying Japanese foods over the net in the US, but just one question...

would you consider making your own?

Maybe someonelse can help you find an internet site, since I have no experience buying Japanese foods over the net in the US, but just one question...

would you consider making your own?

I have thought about doing this. Not really sure where I would get what I need (which is not much)

all you need are sesame seeds, either black or white, and salt.

I prefer kosher salt for its larger grains, so any larger grained salt is best (comparing to everyday table salt)

I toast the sesame seeds in a fry pan until fragrant and a nice brown (if white) then I add them to a suribachi (or a bowl) add the salt (in about 3:1 or 4:1 proportions, it is all to taste) and bash them together a little for the flavors to meld.

Hello-

I am looking to buy gomashio (black sesame with salt) on the internet.  So far I have found a few sites that sell it, but have large shipping and handling.

I am only looking to buy 3 or 4 bottles, so I know I am going to have some troubles, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other good web sites to buy gomashio from?

I have tried the Asian markets around town, but I do not have many to chose from.

Any help would be helpfull!

domo arigato

Whereabouts in the world do you live?

If you live in the UK, there's a company named Wellspring that manufacture many Japanese foodstuffs. I've ordered from them online when I lived in the UK.

I would think they sell gomashio.

If you live in Europe, it's possible that they ship to your country.

Foodie_Penguin

• 2 months later...

I am about to start working on the Americanization of an Australian cookbook, meant for the general home-cooking public. A good number of the recipes use Asian ingredients (fish sauce, different kinds of soy sauces, etc.). The publisher is concerned about the availability of ingredients throughout the U.S. I offered to round up mail-order and website sources -- so, of course, who else would I ask but eGulleteers? :unsure::biggrin:

Where do you like to order stuff you can't find locally? If you have a favorite local source, do they do mail-order?

(I'm also posting this on other Asian boards here. Answer wherever you like.)

Thanks for your help.

Suzanne, this is so exciting: recently i got quite a few of cookbooks written by australian chefs, including those by Catherine Mansfield and Neil Perry. I cooked a lot from them, and so far had no trouble to find ingredients in two local (central NJ) chinese groceries: Asian Food Center in Middletown, and HongKong in New Brunswick. Don't think they mail order though.

After i found young green peppercorns in brine, the only challenging ingredient is a fresh/frozen galanga.

And forgive my curiosity: can you let us know what book are you talking about? I have several australian books in my wishlist, but none of them are available in US :sad:

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the great responses!

Nothing specific, whatever is available.

A recent frustration, Japan Foods Ltd's (an import company for Japanese food near Toronto) recent shipment of Katsura Bushi was held up at customs. Now I have to use nothing but dashi-no-moto. I really hope Canada doesn't retaliate against Japan over BSE like America retaliated against France of Iraq.

By the way, what place do you shop at in Ottawa?

-- Jason

By the way, what place do you shop at in Ottawa?

I go to Kaedeya Mart (210 Slater) and Kowloon Market (720 Somerset West).

There is a Korean place on Bank I have yet to check out, and I haven't gotten to Green's Food on Rideau yet.

I'm a bit spoiled because on trips to Washington D.C. I get to go to Loblaws-sized Asian grocery stores.

Edited by tootallfortoques (log)

I'm a bit spoiled because on trips to Washington D.C. I get to go to Loblaws-sized Asian grocery stores.

Don;t tell me this, it's like waving a $100.00 bill in front of a homeless person. :raz:

-- Jason

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know of an on-line (North American) source for those tiny vegetable cutters that can, for instance, cut a maple leaf from a carrot slice? I have googled and googled with no avail. I just love making special looking things for my granddaughter and would like to be able to make more shapes than my inartistic hands can manage. Thank you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I didn't see them on a quick trip to the site, but I'm pretty sure that Broadway Panhandler has them. When I'm there for the Yard Sale tomorrow, I'll check.

What a board this is! Thank you, Suzanne, but another member has already arranged to ship a set to me! Can you imagine? I sincerely hope I will be in a position to return such favours for other members. I feel all warm and fuzzy. :smile:

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

We all just want your avatar to smile someday.  :wink:

Just for you, Suzanne:

i8317.jpg

Three generations - all smiling - :biggrin: !

My 2004 eG Blog