• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Romantic Dining

Stone

Some friends of mine are spending a week in NY with family, but they will have one Saturday night to themselves. They want to try a high-end restaurant. I recall places like Alison on Dominick and One if By Land, to have high romance factors, but I haven't heard much about their food lately. When I suggested some other places (Ouest, 11 Madison) and said, they're nice, but not top end like Jean-George or La Caravalle, she was interested in the top end.

Assuming they can get a reservation, where should they go?

Alison has indeed closed and One If by Land/TIBS is the single most overpriced rip-off in the city -- even worse than Tavern on the Green.

i actually didn't find the food at OIBL/TIBS *good* ta boot. :unsure:

But Zagat says . . .

Was there a place on the West Side called "Vince & Eddies"? Around 69 & Columbus, near Peters? Also I remember hearing about a place on 79th just east of Bway (across from the Dublin House).

What about Cafe Des Artists?

Was there a place on the West Side called "Vince & Eddies"?  Around 69 & Columbus, near Peters?  Also I remember hearing about a place on 79th just east of Bway (across from the Dublin House).

What about Cafe Des Artists?

Vince and Eddies became someone else and someone else. Cafe des Artistes is still there and can be romantic, indeed.

Now romantic: Jezebel at 630 Ninth Ave. @ 45th. 212-582-1045. Louisiana bordello decor, complete with swings. :wink:

I would recommend Aureole. There is a new chef (since June) and I have had three perfect meals there. The cuisine is lighter than it used to be and full of flavor and intriguing little "special touches". The ambience, especially at the back of the room, is romantic enough and the service friendly and professional. :blush:

Ruth Friedman

I would recommend Aureole. There is a new chef (since June) and I have had three perfect meals there. The cuisine is lighter than it used to be and full of flavor and intriguing little "special touches". The ambience, especially at the back of the room, is romantic enough and the service friendly and professional. :blush:

Ruth Friedman

While B&T has traditionally referred to the "Bridge and Tunnel" crowd (i.e., those from Jersey or outer boroughs), times have changed and a more nuanced approach is in order. To wit, a quiz:

1. Is your favorite Broadway play of all-time Cats?

2. When you order wine, do you usually just say "A glass of [Merlot/Chardonnay], please."

3. Back in the day, was your favorite upscale NY restaurant Aureole?

4. For special occassions, did you go to One If By Land/TIBS, Tavern on the Green, or Cafe des Artistes?

5. Is there nothing better than tea at the Plaza?

6. Is the best pizza in NY found at John's?

Gee, this is fun, but I need to get back to work. Anyone else want to continue?

• 6 months later...

Wife and I are planning on visiting your fair city once again (from Philly) for our 19th anniversary and I wanted to get some expert advice on where to eat from you egulleters who know NYC so well. It will be a special evening in that not only will it be our anniversary but also a well needed break from my cancer treatments. :smile: As far as what we are looking for, we are NOT looking for the more formal and extremely expensive places to eat (Jean Georges, Alan Ducaisse, etc.). What we would enjoy is a restaurant that combines excellent food with a romantic or hip/fun atmosphere. Any type of cuisine is OK since we enjoy all types of food. Examples that come to my mind are places like Blue Hill, Annissa, Asia de Cuba, Picholine, Son Cubano, etc. I have seen Suba's website and the place looks great but have heard so-so reviews of the food. Price range would be about $200 with wine (is that too low for some of the places mentioned?). I know this isn't very specific but I trust any and all advice I'll get from you all, thanks!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

$200 after tax and top would be no more than $160 for food and beverage. You should be able to have two a la carte dinners and bottle of wine for that at Blue Hill. I'm a fan of the restaurant. I like the style. It is as has been pointed out elsewhere, gentle food and not agressive food. Some people may find it too gentle. There's no accounting for taste. I find it among the most sophisticated food in NYC.

The chef at Suba was chef at Meigas. I liked Meigas a lot, but was rarely thrilled there. I liked it enough however to be eager to try Suba and the food looks more up to date, modern and exciting. As I haven't had the opportunity to try it, I can't say much else about it. I've generally been happy with Eleven Madison Park and the space is wonderful. I think it's really a beautiful restaurant space. The wine prices are also terrific and that almost always makes the final bill seem so much less expensive than I expect for the overall quality of the meal. I concur with tommy's suggestion.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Hi David!

How lucky that you and the lovely Mrs. will have the chance to go play in New York! There are plenty of fun places.

I've always enjoyed The Tasting Room and knowing you as I do I think you'd like it for a special meal. Very small seasonal menu, small and large portions of each dish available so you can "design as meal" and share things. Very well selected all American wine list and very friendly and helpful staff and hostess with the mostest, Renee. Although the Tasting Room is quite small (maybe 24 seats?) and a little tight, the freshness of the food, the eclectic wine list and great availability of interesting by-the-glass choices, and the truly welcoming staff make for a very nice meal, that at least for me, would make for a special occasion. It's not the fanciest place, or the "hippest", but definitely a fun time. Review available Click here

I'm also fond of Molyvos for really great Greek food and an eclectic and value priced wine list.

Perhaps you'd like to start your evening with a flight of Champagne? Flute Bar is a really neat Champagne bar that offers interesting flights and lots of by-the-glass choices. There are two locations so you could see which is more convenient for you Here

Happy Anniversary!! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol