• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Romantic Dining

Stone

Having been to March, the River Cafe, GT and JG, the big difference between the first three and the last one is a warmth in ambiance. JG is a nice room, but feels quite a bit more formal (and like you're sitting in a restaurant). March and GT have a lot more warmth, and the room feels quite a bit "cozier". River Cafe, of course, has a view no restaurant in Manhattan can match.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

For romantic ambiance I will quickly run down all of the places I've tried that even come close:

One If By Land, Two If By Sea: I proposed here, on New Years' Eve. I've also eaten there on another night since then. Both times it was very romantic and I found the food quite good both times. I simply do not understand why it gets such a negative food review from some people. I simply have not found that to be the case. The service, decor and atmosphere are unmatched by any other place in NYC for romantic appeal.

Cafe Des Artistes: Food was good, but I found the tables much too close together for any kind of good atmosphere. Service wasn't very special either.

Terrace in the Sky: Decor and atmosphere are nice, but getting into the building is a little wierd taking this old elevator to the top floor. It's located INSIDE a dorm building of Columbia. Yes, that's right it's in the same building as a dorm house. Once you get to the top floor it's nice enough, but also I found the service a little snooty. Food was also quite good here as well.

Eleven Madison Park: Too loud in the main dining room, although the food was really good. Not romantic in my book, although an otherwise excellent restaurant.

Tabla: Food was excellent, and the atmosphere is really nice. Kind of more of a luxury trendy atmosphere more than romantic atmosphere. I wouldn't choose this place for romantic appeal. An excellent restaurant otherwise, though.

Edited by James Kessler (log)

-James Kessler

I've never understood the commentary about Eleven Madison Park. Not about the food, which is excellent, but about the room - what makes it any nicer/more romantic than a standard good room at any other top restaurant?

I wouldn't put it in the category of a March/Gramercy etc., which are pretty special places, IMHO.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

• 2 months later...

Any restaurants to add to the list? It's my SO's birthday coming up, and we're going to drive up to manhattan from dc for a few days...

I'm like to take him somewhere romantic, but the food and wine are most important - somewhere not snooty/cold would also be nice, with a price not much higher than about $100 for a tasting menu (not including wine or tip or anything) - but I could go up to about $125 if its definitely worth it.

We loved Babbo, so something in the same vein would be great - Marche and Chanterelle look good, as does GT.

But any other ideas? thanks...

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

I'm like to take him somewhere romantic, but the food and wine are most important - somewhere not snooty/cold would also be nice, with a price not much higher than about $100 for a tasting menu (not including wine or tip or anything) - but I could go up to about $125 if its definitely worth it. 

I am always a fan of Veritas. Some people don't like the room, but I do, and I've always found the food/wine/service to be consistently stellar. There's a separate thread on it somewhere here . . .