• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Overused restaurant reviewer words & metaphors

Fat Guy

So go ahead and explain it to us, for crying out loud, so we can sound super-literate.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Okay... it just occured to me that we've got all of these objections to references to "table mates" "significant others" "dining companions", etc.

So what are the reviewers supposed to call these people?  Are the reviewers supposed to pretend that they ate all of the food themselves?

The best compromise, I suppose, is to describe the food without ANY reference to who or what is eating it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The best compromise, I suppose, is to describe the food without ANY reference to who or what is eating it.

why would that be the best compromise?  going out of your way to discuss an experience in an unnatural way because some might be annoyed at your word choice seems silly.  

the best compromise, clearly, is to have some sort of application that reads in the review and changes any offensive word (from your personalized list of offensive words) into a nonoffensive word, such as butterfly.  for example:

"The wench with whom i was dining had seared tuna, which offered layers upon layers of taste, and textures that danced around one's mouth like a ballet"

would become:

"The butterfly had really good tunafish"

clearly.

jhlurie, I always see you as a smiley.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I just use "my friend, (fill in the name), hated the zucchini."

I always feel a little goofy introducing other people into a review but sometimes it can't be helped. So I try to get in and out of it fast and neat and get back to wherever I was going with the review.

p.s. I know the hate zucchini example is a bad one. Frankly, I don't care if "my friend, (fill in the name), hated the zucchini." I just want he/she/it to order the zucchini so I can love/hate/dismiss it without the management wondering why the weird guy at Table 45 is surrounded by four vegetable side dishes...

Bill Daley

Chicago Tribune

I just want he/she/it to order the zucchini so I can love/hate/dismiss it without the management wondering why the weird guy at Table 45 is surrounded by four vegetable side dishes...

i tell ya, that jhlurie has been known to linger at table 45 for hours on end.

You could actually control them? I can't tell you how many people think they're doing me a favor eating on the paper's dime. Reporters are the worst - they always cancel at the last minute for a breaking story.

Then there's the star-envy thing - why did Lois and Jim get a 4-star and we got a 2 - or which visit do they go on - why are we always the second visit? And, of course, my favorite was Gordon - who ordered a $75 bottle of wine for the table, drank it, and then weaved off to find the maitre d' to order one more.

That I haven't killed anyone I've dined with is a miracle.

Bill Daley

Chicago Tribune

During the year and a half or so that I had a generous reviewing budget, I learned how little I liked most of my friends and colleagues. Now I have no budget, no friends, and no colleagues.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You could actually control them? I can't tell you how many people think they're doing me a favor eating on the paper's dime.

It is all in the approach.  Dining with a restaurant reviewer is, of course, a rare honor, not a chore.  The favor is the reviewer's, acknowledging that there is at least some merit to the opinion of those chosen to share his table.

For the first five years, it was even more of an honor, as only I got the price of my meal reimbursed and those accompanying me had the privilege of paying for their own meals.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

During the year and a half or so that I had a generous reviewing budget, I learned how little I liked most of my friends and colleagues. Now I have no budget, no friends, and no colleagues.

Steven -- You have our community (incl. tommy, of course).  :wink:

• 7 months later...

Yeah it's Sunday night and having no life, I'm sittin' here surfin' the Gullet and came across this thread.

Let me add the word that sends me screaming in search of razors ( in order to open a vein):

TOOTHSOME! := (:gak: :barf: :bloody awful:)

A new one which I at first thought made-up, but after checking my Webster's New International (2nd ed, unabridged, 1952), found it listed, was:

PLENTEOUS! :toothsome:

Nick

Yeah it's Sunday night and having no life, I'm sittin' here surfin' the Gullet and came across this thread.

Let me add the word that sends me screaming in search of razors ( in order to open a vein):

TOOTHSOME! :gak: :barf: :bloody awful:

You are too right. Barferooni!

(And apparently I have no Sunday night life either, because here I am!)

Especially because my mother only uses "toothsome" to describea Hot Guy.

As in, "Tommy's sooooo Toothsome!"

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm jes' not goin there :laugh:

eGullet and the 'cult of Tommy' again rearing its head.

I'd like to see a stat reflecting the percentage of the 150,000 posts that contain or reference "Tommy". Just curious. Betcha it's pretty beaucoups.

Nick