• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Wings

past51511

For every 10 chicken wing makers, there are probably 10 different recipes and methods. Correct? From Buffalos to baked, I'd like to compile a group of ideas how to make the best, as you see it, wings. They can be fried, baked, roasted, smoked, whatever. I'm on a mission here. :smile:

Thai boxing ring chicken.

Or my interpretation of it at least. I've never found a published recepie that's as good as the stuff you get in Thailand so I'm on a quest to recreate it. So far, the recepie is different every time I make it based on the last time I made it/I have in/can buy but as long as you have lots of birdseye chilli, corriander, coconut milk, fish sauce and palm sugar you can't go far wrong. Some or all of the following will help: ground corriander seeds, lime leaves, galangal, ginger, garlic, tamarind pulp, lime zest, lime juice or shrimp paste.

You're looking to make a thick sweet chilli paste that will caremelise during cooking.

Mix everything together, marinade the wings in it and slap on a charcoal grill.

Even better, give the chicken wings to the dog and spatchcock some quails. :smile:

Two good ways to do 'em:

The obvious Buffalo recipe, which is just Frank's Hot Pepper Sauce mixed with melted butter 1:1. I add a tiny bit (1/5th part of or) of sugar to the sauce. I grill the wings with salt and cayenne pepper instead of deep frying them and toss them in a covered container with the sauce until coated, then drop them back onto the grill for a few seconds to carmelize the sauce.

Another fun recipe is to mix olive oil, fresh lime juice, minced garlic, and honey together and marinate the wings (or any other parts of chicken) in it for a few hours. Toss 'em on the grill and they'll get beautiful color from the honey. Coarsely chop some cilantro and sprinkle it on top when they're done. These are great to plate up when friends come over. People love 'em if they like the lime-cilantro combo (and who doesn't?!)

1. toss wings in a little flour

2. deep fry until done

3. in a bowl, mix (to your taste): chopped garlic, sweet chili sauce (bottled), sriracha (bottled), soy sauce, cilantro leaves and/or whatever you have in your pantry

4. toss wings in above sauce for asian flavored hot wings

Thai boxing ring chicken.

Or my interpretation of it at least. I've never found a published recepie that's as good as the stuff you get in Thailand so I'm on a quest to recreate it. So far, the recepie is different every time I make it based on the last time I made it/I have in/can buy but as long as you have lots of birdseye chilli, corriander, coconut milk, fish sauce and palm sugar you can't go far wrong. Some or all of the following will help: ground corriander seeds, lime leaves, galangal, ginger, garlic, tamarind pulp, lime zest, lime juice or shrimp paste.

You're looking to make a thick sweet chilli paste that will caremelise during cooking.

Mix everything together, marinade the wings in it and slap on a charcoal grill.

Even better, give the chicken wings to the dog and spatchcock some quails. :smile:

Mine is a little simpler.

Pound together garlic, white peppercorns and chopped coriander root. Mix in a little lime juice and fish sauce and a pinch of sugar. Marinate the separated wings for about an hour.

Grill for slightly too long (about 30 minutes in all). Serve with sweet chilli sauce.

This is a very traditional Thai marinade.

Bake the wings at a high temperature (425-ish) for an hour. This renders all the fat out of them so that they are not greasy.

Once they are cooked to this point, then you can do what you like to them. Drench them in hot sauce and then pan fry for some carmelisation. Toss with salt and pepper. Whatever.

The possibilities are endless. :wub:

<snip>

Traditional Thai? Without chilli? :wink:

Your version does sound simpler, I'll give it a try but I did think that the secret ingredient I found that got me closer to the 'real thing' was the coconut milk.

<snip>

Traditional Thai? Without chilli? :wink:

Chili is a recent addition to Thai cooking. Before that they used peppercorns to add heat.

Franks Hot Sauce + Butter + BBQ Sauce + Vinegar

In that order of larger quantity from left to right. I used to cook wings for my Fraternity wing night and never had a complaint. I would use BBQ sauce as a way to sweeten/cut the heat. Sometimes I would add some tobasco for pure heat if I like the particular taste the BBQ sauce gave.

Deep fry, quickly hit them with the sauce, then put in the oven basting with the sauce for 10-15 mins.

The wings are crispy around the edges, but all the meat falls off the bone.

Msk

i parboil the wings in some beer, with onions and a packet of goya sazon.

then deep fry and toss with some hot sauce, a little butter, garlic powder and chili flakes, and a little honey (not too much).

Edited by tryska (log)

Make a marinade of Soy sauce (use both light and dark if available) some fresh or powdered ginger (use sparingly), honey, loads of garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds, chopped shallots (spring onions, green onions)

Marinade the pieces minimum 1 hour to overnight - turning occassionally.

Place in baking dish and cook 1t 350 degrees till cooked

(can also add some chiniese five spice and oyster sauce, or chilli etc)

Another method:

Marinade: Tomato paste, olive oil, garlic 3-4 cloves crushed, salt, chilli - 1 teas at sweet paprika, - for an Italian style herb flavor use fresh basil or oregano - or dill or tarragon takes it into another style. If time is very short, add a pre-prepared pasta sauce

Halfway through cooking, baste again with the sauce.

Another method:

Soy sauce (dark and light),rice wine, garlic 2-3 cloves minimum, ginger, cumin, plum jam, minced prunes, chilli , chopped spring onions (green onions, shallots)

Marinade and bake 350 degrees till tender - serve with jasmin rice

(I have made these styles for many years and they are wonderful)

toss them in flour with a little added turmeric

deep fry

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

toss them in flour with a little added turmeric

deep fry

Must've been too complicated! I couldn't remember it all the way to the kitchen, so I tossed them in a LOT of turmeric, no flour, some concentrated lemon juice, took brat #2 to a music lesson, and came home and deep fried them. Served with red pepper and lots of salt, more lemon. I loved them -- thanks for that recipe!

It piqued my interest because I love fresh turmeric with fish. The Japanese have decided that fresh turmeric is a health food, bless 'em, and so I can now buy it at a little stall by a vege field in front of the station (stubborn owner refuses to sell last plot of land despite surrounding development). Fresh turmeric ought to go well with chicken too, though it would be a bit mild for fried or baked wings.

My usual wing thing is a simmered number: Can't just spot the recipe, but basically simmered in plenty of mild vinegar and soy sauce (plus water), with garlic, cinnamon stick(s), dried chilis, and star anise if desired. Add brown sugar if you just can't help yourself.

Here's a different one, easy and good. They disappear at parties...

Heroin Wings

4 lbs. chicken wings

1/2 cup butter

1 cup grated parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons dried parsley

1 tablespoon dried oregano

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

First, preheat the oven to 350. Cut the wings up into "drummettes".Then combine the grated cheese and the seasonings. Line a shallow baking pan with foil unless you like scrubbing pans. Melt the butter in a shallow bowl or pan.

Dip each "drummette" in butter, roll in the seasoned cheese, and arrange in the foil lined pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350.

I use the America's Test Kitchen method:

-Dust with cornstarch

-Deep fry until crisp

-Coat with Frank's Red Hot + Butter + Spalsh of Apple Cider Vinegar (Optional dash of habernero sauce for heat)

-Bleu Cheese and celery on the side

Simple but good.

• 4 years later...
need more recipes

Sure- why not...

(as an aside- the ATK method of Buffalo Wings, with the cornstarch, is definitely the best way to do them. Personally I go with the habanero option plus a bunch of crushed smoked piquin. Very dangerous, they are.)

Allrighty then- here, for the first time ever, is my famous secret tandoori wing recipe (it is based on wings that were served at a favorite Indian restaurant of mine from 15 or so years ago. They weren't on the menu, and you had to be a regular to even know they existed. Now the wings and the place are a thing of the past, but I've tried recreating the recipe so that's what this represents.):

6 tablespoons ginger paste

4 teaspoons garlic paste

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

3/4 cup yogurt

1/2 cup finely ground cashews

1-1/2 TBSP ground coriander

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp garam masala

1/2 tsp turmeric

Combine all of that stuff, add a couple of pounds of wings (not separated), and marinate overnight. Place on skewers, add salt, and grill until they're done. So far I have not been able to replicate the effects of the tandoor, where only the edges of the wings got charred, but some blackened quality is acceptable and, I feel, really contributes to the overall effect. Essentally this is a riff on Chicken Malai Kebabs- heavy on the ginger and coriander- but uses wings instead of breast meat. It's really good stuff.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I am originally from Western PA. From my early childhood I have always recalled having my father bring home crispy fried chicken wings that were VERY garlicy, staples at many local bars. Learned much later that they were simply wings deep fried until crispy then sprinkled with Lawry Seasoned Salt. Still love to do them this way from time to time. Often make a "buffalo sauce" to toss some in or use as a dipping sauce. Always have this blue cheese dip on hand as well as the crudites.

Always enjoyed!!!!!!

Donna

Learned much later that they were simply wings deep fried until crispy then sprinkled with Lawry Seasoned Salt. 

Your mention of Lawry's Seasoned salt reminded me that my step mom adores crispy wings with no breading or sauce. We did this on Easter for her- Took dry wings and salted with Lawry's and some garlic powder. My oven is not "baking" at the moment so I broiled them but the pan was 12 inches or more below the element. When they started to look darkish I turned the heat down. They were crunchy shattering skin on the outside and soft most meat on the inside. Sometimes simple works.

I use the America's Test Kitchen method:

-Dust with cornstarch

-Deep fry until crisp

-Coat with Frank's Red Hot + Butter + Spalsh of Apple Cider Vinegar (Optional dash of habernero sauce for heat)

-Bleu Cheese and celery on the side

Simple but good.

this is how I do mine. except I don't make a blue cheese dressing.

They are great. To me, this is the way Buffalo wings ought to be.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Disjoint wings, reserving tips for stock making. Lay them out on a layer of paper towels. Dust with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Alternatively, sprinkle liberally with Tony Chachere's. Shake in a bag with cornstarch, making sure to shake off any excess. Deep fry or pan fry in lard or peanut oil til brown and crispy.

Toss in a mixture of Frank's Red Hot and melted butter (yes, butter. Margarine sux!) equal parts mixed together well. Serve with bleu cheese dip/dressing and celery sticks. Make tons as thay will disappear fast!! I never prepare less than 12 lbs at a time. I have been instructed by my family and friends that less than that is just a tease.

Bleu cheese dip/dressing

1.5 cups each good stiff mayo and sour cream

juice of 1 lemon

1 large clove garlic, pressed or finely minced (more if you love garlic)

2 Tbsp finely minced shallots or sweet onion (grated works well, too)

6-8 ounces crumbled good quality bleu cheese

salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

whole milk buttermilk (to thin to dressing consistency)

mix first 4 ingredients together until smooth. incorporate cheese. Season to taste. Add buttermilk to desired consistency for dressing, if desired.

Berta