• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

good website for French food

herbacidal

Are there any recommendations for websites with good information on French cuisine?

I suppose I could get a book, which I probably will.

I expect that I would be coming back here as well for supplementary information.

But are there any good websites that can serve as a primer on French cuisine?

TIA.

Now I have to go browse through all the threads here.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Are there any recommendations for websites with good information on French cuisine?
Other than this one? :laugh:
I suppose I could get a book, which I probably will.
Don't believe everything you read.
I expect that I would be coming back here as well for supplementary information.
We are forewarned and forearmed.
But are there any good websites that can serve as a primer on French cuisine?

TIA.

Now I have to go browse through all the threads here.

It's tough work, but someone has to do it.

I'm a fan of Waverly Root's The Food of France. I haven't looked at it in a long time and I fear much of what he's described in the way of traditional and regional food may be dying out, but the book has so much to say about the history and background of what the French eat that it will always be a good read. In the sixties, I carried that book with me in our travels and it had more to offer than political history books and sightseeing guides in helping me get a feel for the various provinces of France. French cuisine in a broad subject. You should be aware that different people have a very different idea of what it is.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If you read French, www.marmiton.org has some excellent ideas and recipes. It was sent to me by a friend who is a gourmet cook and thought I would appreciate the link. Just done their Foie Gras with figs (used mango - I had misread the recipe and thought they were looking for fresh figs which are unavailable here out of season). The Foie Gras was a doddle to make and perfectly "mi-cuit" on the timings given.

I also have a French link somewhere to French restaurants, from starred to family places to eat, but it is not appearing on my favourites. Will try and dig it out.............

Nola

If you read French, www.marmiton.org has some excellent ideas and recipes. It was sent to me by a friend who is a gourmet cook and thought I would appreciate the link. Just done their Foie Gras with figs (used mango - I had misread the recipe and thought they were looking for fresh figs which are unavailable here out of season). The Foie Gras was a doddle to make and perfectly "mi-cuit" on the timings given.

I also have a French link somewhere to French restaurants, from starred to family places to eat, but it is not appearing on my favourites. Will try and dig it out.............

Nola

i neglected to mention that i don't speak French, so any info would preferably be in English. I suppose I can run French language pages through Google translator, but it's never worked especially well for me.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'm a fan of Waverly Root's The Food of France. I haven't looked at it in a long time and I fear much of what he's described in the way of traditional and regional food may be dying out, but the book has so much to say about the history and background of what the French eat that it will always be a good read. In the sixties, I carried that book with me in our travels and it had more to offer than political history books and sightseeing guides in helping me get a feel for the various provinces of France. French cuisine in a broad subject. You should be aware that different people have a very different idea of what it is.

It's still a fine book, from which one may learn how to travel, how to eat and how to write. It's worth going to ABE for an original hardback edition, of which they list half a dozen under $20 -- not only because the paper edition soon falls to bits, but because the book has a fine look and a fine feel and is full of glorious well reproduced black and white photos.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros