• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

green papayas

torakris

In my 33 years on this earth I have bought green papayas twice! :biggrin:

The first one was a couple month ago and the second was two days ago.

As I was peeling the second one for my som tam last night, I realized it was quite a bit softer than the one I peeled a couple months ago that was close to rock hard and unlike the first one it had an incredible fragrance of a ripe papaya were I don't recall any smell from the first one.

What do you look for when choosing a green papaya?

Do you want it rock hard or softer more like an almost ripe avocado?

What is the best way to shred it?

I use a Japanese benriner, is there something easier/better?

What else can you use it for?

I can't really find any other recipes except for som tam.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

East Coast Malays use it for Sayur, a kind of soupy dish - not very sweet - in which starchy vegetables are boiled for plenty of time in coconut milk with plenty of hot pepper, until the flavors combine. Unripe papaya is treated as a starchy vegetable and can be used along with root vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, cassava, and beans, unripe plantains, and leafy vegetables like cashew leaves and other leaves and shoots that can be gathered or bought at market in the area (fresh bamboo shoots also work well in Sayur).

Unripe papaya should be hard and not smell like ripe papaya, I think. I remember that when it was used for Sayur in the 70s, it was cut into pieces, not shredded. Same with the root vegetables.

If you have a good source of coconut milk that isn't overly sweet, experiment with your own take on Sayur.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Torakris, I agree with Pan--rock hard. You want the flesh to have crunch, not like the buttery texture of a ripe papaya. Getting a ripe papaya or mango when you were hoping for a green one is very disappointing. The key is to find a shop where they really care about sorting out the good (i.e., green) from the mushy ones. Even then, sometimes it's a gamble.

A benriner is a fine way to shred a papaya. I can think of a couple of other ways, too. There's a tool made in Thailand specifically for doing this--it has a scalloped blade attached to a handle, and you pull it against the papaya repeatedly. Mine tends to clog, though. Another way is to make dozens of parallel cuts of the papaya with a knife (this is very relaxing, somehow) and then slice carefully across them to make thin spears.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

The papaya should be firm to the touch and not have the sweet (almost sickly to me) smell. For a very simple way of preparing, the paypaya (paw paw) can be cut and either peel or leave skin on, cut into good sized serving pices, salt and pepper and team or boil till just tender. Other seasonings as applicable to the main dish.

I tastes similar to chokos (not sure of the name in the USA) and other firmer squashes.

FOR A RICHER FLAVOR AND USE, It can also be used in curry dishes, most south American dishes or dishes wherever you see squash mentioned.

It can also be pickled in the Indian style or even made into a green papaya chutney. ( I may have a recipe for some chutnies and pickles etc - not sure - most of the best of my books are in Australia and only my very worn favorites are here in Texas),..

Edited by Aussie_Gusto (log)

I just thought of something, in case someone would like to try their hand at Sayur. Little dried salted shrimps are also commonly used in sayur and help give taste to the soothing dish. Sayur traditionally accompanies some fish, chicken, or other meat dish (e.g. a curry) and isn't the centerpiece of the meal.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"