• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking oddball Turkey recipe

achterberg@stic.net

I just joined this forum after hearing a recommendation on the radio. It seems that everyone in my family gets a turkey from their employer, and this year I volunteered to "do something" with the extra one. I do not want to do anything traditional, and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for turkey that is beyond the usual.

How about Turkey Mole? That's what we did with most of our turkey this year, and it was great! We used one of the mole recipes from Rick Bayless - it makes a lot, so we just freeze it for easy mole enchiladas, tacos, tamales, etc. We have Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen, but there are also some wonderful mole recipes in Mexico - One Plate at a Time. There are also a couple of good recipes on Food Network's website :rolleyes:

I would second slkinsey's Turkey Two Ways. I'm also looking into making turkey ham with someone's idea I saw a few weeks back for Coke Cured Ham.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

We did a turkey one year that was stuffed with tamales and had tamales lining the bottom of the baking pan. There were also some little hot chiles stuffed into the breast and thigh meat by working from inside the cavity. The drippings on the tamales in the pan made for a mighty nice "tamale pie" type dish and froze well.

The original recipe was by Jean Andrews in some magazine about her south Texas Christmas. (Texas Monthly? Southern Living?) There were several other good recipes in that article. I wish I could find it. She is the lady from Austin that wrote the definitive pepper book. I will do some googling and see if I come up with anything.

Oh yeah... And another welcome to eGullet from me! :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Welcom to eGullet! What radio show mentioned us? That's just cool.

Anyway, Sam's Turkey Two ways has indeed gotten rave reviews. As someone else mentioned, do a search on "Thompsons Turkey" or "Turducken" for more turkey weirdness than you can grasp.

Take care,

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I just checked back in here to see if there was any response to my little ole post and ... 7 REPLIES!!!. Great, I'll read through them and check them out.

I heard about this forum last weekend on Lynn Rossetto Kasper's show "Splendid Table" when I was listening in my car. She might be masquerading on one of these forums from the sound of her recommendation. It was mentioned in the call in portion in response to a query about where to find good information about cooking. I usually don't put two and two together very well, but I'm glad I did this time.

I usually don't put two and two together very well, but I'm glad I did this time.

I don't know much about two and two, but in another forum, 7 and 7 may be discussed...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Cool! That's a great show!

Welcome! Come back often, y'hear?

If you want really complicated, you can bone out the whole bird, spread the inside with stuffing, roll it up, and make a galantine (poach and serve cold) or ballotine (roast and serve hot). I did that one year, with a stuffing including crumbled chorizo and fresh cranberries, plus the usual bread and veggies, and it was very tasty. Or take fifi's tamale suggestion (sounds really good to me).

Cut the turkey in half, dust liberally with a good mix of powdered dry chiles (being sure it includes 100% red New Mexico chiles), and grill it outside on the Weber, or whatever you have.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.