• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rye Whiskey

mrbigjas

One time many years ago, I had a rye that had a pronounced "rye" flavor, by which I mean it tasted kinda like distilled rye bread (Rye beers taste similar to me) I have no idea what it was. I don't think it was Old Overholt's, which is the standard that's in the most state stores here in PA. Today I was in the liquor store and noticed that Jim Beam is making a straight rye whiskey, so I picked up a bottle. Not what I expected, although it's not bad, in the same way Beam isn't bad bourbon. I mean, I'll drink it and it's fine, but it's not what I prefer.

I just checked the PA LCB website, and besides these two they carry Van Winkle and A.H. Hirsch as a $39 special order. So anyway, someone talk about rye. What do you like? What should I pick up next time I'm at a good liquor store (once I finish this)?

If you can find it, I like Wiser's Very Old, which is a small batch, 18 year old rye blend.

Here's an article about small batch Canadian rye whiskies:

http://www.lewbryson.com/tribcand.htm

I'm not sure if LCBO Vintages will ship to the US, but here are two I own that I like:

http://www.vintages.com/frame_results.html?ITEM_NAME=century

http://www.vintages.com/frame_results.html?ITEM_NAME=wiser%2

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hi James:

The A.H. Hirsch is pretty damn good stuff. We went through a bottle of it in no time flat at the SB bar (during better times, obviously). Very popular with the high end Bourbon drinkers and the single malt Scotch types too. Price was almost exactly the same at resturant "wholesale" for whatever that's worth, as well. All the Hirsch products are top notch. The 20 year old Reserve Bourbon is completely SOLD OUT in the state of PA. Gotta run for the border, as it were. You can still order the 16 year old and it's mightly fine. I'd put this in the same category as treating yourself to a nice bottle of Cognac for sipping over the next few cold months. Yeah - it's pricey. But so's a lot of things. Great gift for someone you know would appreciate it!

Have I told you how nice you look today?... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

That's an excellent start, thanks. Katie, I only give liquor with the hope of it being shared.

I mean with me.

As Mr. Rogers would say:

[soft soothing voice]It's nice to share...[/soft soothing voice]

:biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Anchor in San Francisco (think Anchor Steam beer) has a couple of distilled spirits in addition to their beers, one of which is Old Potrero Rye. Very nice. I don't know how widely distributed it is, though.

Old Potrero is very good, but at about $86 a bottle, my money goes for the Sazerac Rye at less than half the price of the Old Potrero. And the Sazerac is dam good! It doesn't have the overt rye expression that you describe, but does have some wonderful vanilla and caramel notes that make it oh so smooth! Try it, you'll like it!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I like the Rip van Winkle rye the best of the ones I've tried, Jim Beam the worst. The Rip has a great rye taste, the Beam is too harsh. The problem with the Wild Turkey rye is it tastes like the inverse of their bourbon. A little more rye than corn, but still a lot of corn, which makes it too sweet for what I want in a rye. If I'm going to drink rye instead of bourbon I want to know I'm drinking rye. The Overholt isn't bad for mixing, but I wouldn't go out of my way to sip it straight. I looked for Sazerac at the good liquor stores in New Orleans while I was there and couldn't find any, so it's not very available.

regards,

trillium

Old Potrero is very good, but at about $86 a bottle, my money goes for the Sazerac Rye at less than half the price of the Old Potrero.  And the Sazerac is dam good!  It doesn't have the overt rye expression that you describe, but does have some wonderful vanilla and caramel notes that make it oh so smooth!  Try it, you'll like it!

Concerning Sazerac Rye -- assuming I can find it -- would it be worth it to use in the drink of the same name as opposed to Old Overholt (or Old Overcoat as I've heard it called)? Or would it be a waste of nice sipping whiskey?

IMO, Sazerac tastes too much like bourbon--too oaky, not the little bit of snap I want when I drink Rye vs. when I drink bourbon or Rum. Van Winkle's rye's are great, as is Potrero, tho Potrero is some hardcore stuff (cask strength--my last bottle was 63.6% abv, I think).

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

I went out shopping earlier this week and found that my local distributor has DROPPED the price of the Old Potrero to $69! I may have to go round up a few bottles! How does this price compare to other parts of the country?

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Killing more birds with one stone, so to speak...

First, welcome to eG to both Okbrewer and jariggs! :cool::smile:

Old Potrero is very good, but at about $86 a bottle, my money goes for the Sazerac Rye at less than half the price of the Old Potrero.  And the Sazerac is dam good!  It doesn't have the overt rye expression that you describe, but does have some wonderful vanilla and caramel notes that make it oh so smooth!  Try it, you'll like it!

I've found Sazerac Rye, an 18 year old, for $90. :blink:

Concerning Sazerac Rye -- assuming I can find it -- would it be worth it to use in the drink of the same name as opposed to Old Overholt (or Old Overcoat as I've heard it called)? Or would it be a waste of nice sipping whiskey?

I wouln't add Sazerac Rye into a Sazerac cocktail. Sure you could, but it would be like using JWBlue in a Rusty Nail -- a tad decadent. :wink:

Depending upon where you live (read: if your state permits this sort of commerce) it can be found here.

If that is not an option, ask your local retail liquor store if they would order it in for you. :smile:

I went out shopping earlier this week and found that my local distributor has DROPPED the price of the Old Potrero to $69! I may have to go round up a few bottles! How does this price compare to other parts of the country?

Please note that there are two different bottles of Old Potrero.

Old Potrero Single Malt Spirit (124.4 Proof 750ml) at about $64 (I've found this cheaper at BevMo )

In depth info here, "18th Century" style.

Old Potrero Single Malt Straight Rye Whiskey (124.2 Proof 750ml) at about $95

In depth info here, "19th Century" style.

Cheers!

edited for clarity

Edited by beans (log)

First, welcome to eG to both Okbrewer and jariggs! 

Thanks! Its great to be here.

I wouln't add Sazerac Rye into a Sazerac cocktail. Sure you could, but it would be like using JWBlue in a Rusty Nail -- a tad decadent.

And thanks for the advice. I'll stick with Overholt in the sazeracs and save up for some sippin' rye.

• 3 weeks later...

Those of you in the DC area, Potomac Wines & Spirits on M St. in Georgetown has, get this, Herbsaint and Peychaud's bitters...never seen either of them before up here--the guy says he hand-imports them (love those DC liquor laws). They also have Old Potrero in miniatures :-).

Overholt is pretty readily available up here as well. So I'm drinking a darn fine Sazerac right this second, if I say so myself :-). Love this working from home stuff :-).

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

If you can find it, I like Wiser's Very Old, which is a small batch, 18 year old rye blend.

Here's an article about small batch Canadian rye whiskies:

http://www.lewbryson.com/tribcand.htm

I'm not sure if LCBO Vintages will ship to the US, but here are two I own that I like:

http://www.vintages.com/frame_results.html?ITEM_NAME=century

http://www.vintages.com/frame_results.html?ITEM_NAME=wiser%2

Hell, Vintages will not even allow their customers in Ontario to reserve stuff in advance, and wouldn't deliver if you threatened them with a rocket launcher. Trying to find, and buy stuff on, on a Vintages release date is a combination of treasure hunt and rummage sale. This is, keep in mind, a government operation.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Those of you in the DC area, Potomac Wines & Spirits on M St. in Georgetown has, get this, Herbsaint and Peychaud's bitters

Thanks for the tip -- I work right around the corner from there. I got tired of the blank stares when I'd ask for Herbsaint, so I'd given up and just used Ricard in my Sazeracs. That'll change tonight!

Incidentally, Potomac Wines & Spirits also is the only place you can (or could, haven't checked recently) get Zwack Unicum in DC, that wonderfully horrible Hungarian herbal liquor.

There is an excellent article in the current Saveur about the Sazerac Cocktail. It has a very accurate history and a photo series about how to concoct this age old drink. THere is an excellent side piece about the addition of absinthe and the subsequent change to herbsaint.

I was in THE Sazerac bar on Tuesday afternoon and saw many patrons enjoying a post work Sazerac. It is fun to watch all of the swirling, shaking, pouring, straining, and subsequent swilling. If you are ever in New Orleans it is well worth a stop.

This link will lead you to the Sazerac Website. You will find some rye info as well as an interesting history of Peychaud's Bitters.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Those of you in the DC area, Potomac Wines & Spirits on M St. in Georgetown has, get this, Herbsaint and Peychaud's bitters

Thanks for the tip -- I work right around the corner from there. I got tired of the blank stares when I'd ask for Herbsaint, so I'd given up and just used Ricard in my Sazeracs. That'll change tonight!

Incidentally, Potomac Wines & Spirits also is the only place you can (or could, haven't checked recently) get Zwack Unicum in DC, that wonderfully horrible Hungarian herbal liquor.

Heck of a place for obscure spirits. Looks like just another liquor store from the outside, but they've got Herbsaint (like $11/btl), Peychaud's, the araks that I like (picked up the taste for them at Zaytinya), all the strange bourbons. No Junipero from what I saw, but please reconfirm if you get a chance.

That said, I'd never buy wine from them. Storage there is really not so good.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

No Junipero from what I saw, but please reconfirm if you get a chance.

You can get Junipero from Best Cellars the wine store on Connecticut in North Dupont, love the stuff for Martinis. If only I could find some good olives. :)

Colin Riggs

sorry wrong thread

No Junipero from what I saw, but please reconfirm if you get a chance.

You can get Junipero from Best Cellars the wine store on Connecticut in North Dupont, love the stuff for Martinis. If only I could find some good olives. :)

Colin Riggs

sorry wrong thread

Continuing off topic....good...I noticed that Bacchus picked it up recently, so maybe we'll be seeing more of it.

(BTW, Junipero is the only gin I take straight up--my preferred martini is an orthodox 3:1 with Bombay dry....but now I'm way off topic).

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Speaking of Rye...

Nothing ticks me off more (ok, perhaps there are lots of things that tick me off more, but allow me to be dramatic :-) then when some bartender asks me if I would like my Manhattan made with Rye, and when I enthusiastically agree... he then reaches for a Canadian Whisky, or worse, Seagram's 7...

Many people think Canadian Whisky -is- the same thing as Rye Whiskey, all because of that lobotomy that prohibition saddled us with.

And then just the other day I hear about an agreement between Canada and the EU/EC where Canada will finally recognize regional products such as Champagne, Ouzo, Grappa, Bordeaux, etc. and in return the EU "will protect 'Rye Whisky' as a distinctive product of Canada". (http://www.health.fgov.be/WHI3/krant/krantarch2003/kranttekstsept3/030918m08eu.htm)

-Robert

• 4 months later...

OK so as you can see, I just posted to the Canadian Whiskey thread about Wiser's, and I finally dug up this one that I started back in December, where Jason recommends Wiser oldest, which is what I'm drinking tonight.

The nicest part is that it's cheap. I mean $21 US (or so) a bottle, up there.

SO anyway, rye or corn? Not that I care; I like what I like; I'm just curious.