• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need to Pack on Weight

Okay, it is not for me. With my Czech heritage, I'm quite plump already and have no problems adding or dropping a few pounds at whim (dropping more than a few is the problem).

My struggle is for my boyfriend, Shawn, who is an ectomorph. In the beginning, it was one thing that he was just skinny but now he is working a very physical, graveyard job unloading trucks. Because he is often so exhausted, he doesn't even have very many waking hours to eat all the calories he should.

We have been trying to buy him some of the high-carb, high-calorie bars that he can eat while at work, but the pounds are still coming off and I'm beginning to see his bones (part of it is stress, admitedly). We also bought him some weight-trainer's shakes but it is cold this winter and the last thing he really wants is a cold shake.

So I'm making Cassoulet for Christmas eve with the instructions that he is supposed to eat at least half, but we have to consider a more long-term solution to the problem. What are some of the best ways to put weight ON a person? I surely thought my cream sauces and heavy dinners would be sufficient, but to no avail... I'm open to any suggestions!

well here's a question?

does he have his meals planned? does he eat every 3-4 hours?

you're right that he needs high-carb foods, along with high protein.

weight-gainers are excellent however, you're right - it's not too appealing int he cold.

the thing it boils down to tho, is eating regularly and eating often.

one of those weight-training sayings that come to mind is "Eat, Lift, Sleep. Repeat."

if he wants some help - i can point him to some forums that are filled with guys trying to do the same thing, lots of them succeeding.

Thanks, Tryska.

No, sadly, he does not have his meals planned and does not eat as often as he needs to. The problem with the job is that he has to eat whatever he can put in a back-pack and eat cold (he's been eating a lot of peanuts).

When he gets off of work, he generally fries up two eggs and eats them with a piece of toast then sleeps until an hour or so before he has to go to work when I try and shove a big meal down him (often to little success).

I've been buying both low-fat milk for me and full-fat milk for him but I am beginning to realize I have to start getting him on a regimen where he can eat more with higher protein (we have divergent work schedules so it is a bit difficult).

Appreciate the suggestion and would love the website referral!

www.wannabebigforums.com :) the perfect name, huh?

as for BFs dilemma - to put things in perspective - guys trying to gain weight typically eat anywhere from 14-20 cals per pound.

in order to lose weight it's typically 10-12 cals per pound.

so i'm sure you can guess that peanuts, and a couple of fried eggs and a slice of bread really aren't going to get him up tot he calorie requirement he needs to gain, no matter how calorie dense the meal you cook for him is.

some guys i know are eating 4000 to 6000 cals a day, and it's hard work. but the easiest way to do it is to plan out your food, and stick to your schedule. get him a big-ass cooler for christmass so he can stick it in the car, with all his food packed in it.

and vouchers for all you can eat buffets. :biggrin:

actually he's lucky to have you, since you can help him with meal-planning - it seems a lot of the guys i know lose it, because they don't have many cooking skills and tend to fall into a chicken breast-broccoli-brown rice rut 5-6 meals a day, every day thing.

one tip i can give you - send him off in the morning with a hearty breakfast of oats, mixed with peanut butter, maybe a little bacon crumbled in there and with a scoop of protein powder mixed in. (of course he prolly won't feel hungry again until 2 in the afternoon, but it is nutrient packed)

that actually is another problem too - it can be overwhelming trying to eat the amount of food necessary to really put weight on.

Edited by tryska (log)

I second Tryska. NO WAY is that enough calories for someone working a physical job. He needs to eat more full meals. 1 big one, 1 small one and "peanuts" are not going to cut it

Although these days I'm watching calories the other way, I used to try to put on weight. In high school I ran cross-country and played hockey pretty much year round -- my average was about 5000 calories a day. I took my clues from pro athletes (esp bodybuilders) and ate 5 meals a day. 8Am, noon, 3PM (before cross-country), 6PM (before hockey), and 9PM (after hockey). Much better for you than 1 or 2 huge (2000+ calories) meals .

I couldn't quite get his schedule, but my guess is if he's graveyard shift his schedule is --

work Midnight - 8 AM

Get home at 9 AM

Sleep 10 AM - 6 PM

Leave for work 11 PM

He really has to have a full meal at work. A big sandwich (or a few small ones) can contain all the starch, protein and, dairy he needs. He also needs to take a few of the high-calorie energy bars and/or a couple of pieces of fruit.

The biggest problem i see though is that he has to improve what he eats when he gets home from work. To his body, that is his dinner. A couple of eggs and a piece of toast (roughly 500 calories +/-) are not going to do it. He's got to have some more quality calories. At this point his body is completely drained of nutrients that must be replenished.

I know it can be tough to eat well when you're working a weird schedule (as all of the restaurant people on eG can tell you). He really needs to sit down and schedule at least 3 meals at home, and make sure he has good calories at work.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I used to (operative word being "used to") have a seasonal weight loss problem. Every spring I would lose weight without even changing my diet. People would come up to me and say "have you lost weight?" and then I would know that it was happening again.

My solution was to jump start a weight gain by drinking whole milk with weight gain powder mixed in. You can get it at health food stores. I think you are suppossed to drink two a day. Your boyfriend could keep it in a thermos and drink it whenever he has a chance. It's not a long term solution but it always helped me.

My problem is I'm lactose intolerant. Lactaid is out -- gives me gas and diarrhea. I'm currently exploring a medical solution to the problem, but my question is, what kinds of weight gain powders or shakes are good for someone who's lactose intolerant? For weight gain bars, are there any with a low sugar content?

I'm not seeking to bulk up so much as being able to put on lean muscle. Today is the first day I'm joining a gym -- in my entire life. Pray for me, someone. :biggrin: Now you know the reason why I cook so many boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Like Carolyn's bf, I'm an ectomorph. Classic ectomorph, he of the high metabolism and ravenous appetite. At 6'1" and 146, it's my New Year's resolution to be 150 and muscular (or even some semblance thereof) by this time next year.

I wish there'd been a weight-gain thread like this before. Not too many foodies I know besides JJ and me who are on the other end of the physical spectrum. :wink:

Soba

congratulations on the gym membership soba!

you can use a 100% whey powder, or a whey-casein blend.

all the lactose has been removed from these milk-derived products, so you get pure protein instead.

i think most weightgainers are something like 24gs whey protein, plus 60gs malto in any case.

you could try soy powders, but imo, for the taste experience the piddling 16-17gs protein you get out of a scoop just isn't worth it.

and again eating PLUS training are gonna be what changes your body -14-20 cals per lb - at 146 you're looking at 2500-3000 cals per day AT least. Split that up into 5-6 meals - you could even do 6 meals of 500cals, each - don't stint on the carbs and fats - but definitely make sure you're getting a decent amount of protein in each meal (i'd say roughly 30 grams per meal) and don't underestimate the power of the post-workout meal. Actually after lifting weights, the weight-gainer shake would be the first thing i put in my body. And that, honestly, would be the only time i drank it.

and again eat, lift, sleep. repeat.

I couldn't quite get his schedule, but my guess is if he's graveyard shift his schedule is --

work Midnight - 8 AM

Get home at 9 AM

Sleep 10 AM - 6 PM

Leave for work 11 PM

It is kinda worse than that...

Work: 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.

Bike Home (OHMYGOD, more physical activity!). - Home by 8:00ish

Sleep: 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (often later 'cuz he is exhausted and has been sleeping upwards of ten hours).

Leave for work at 9:00 (on his bike again...)

So he is biking 16 miles a day (8 miles to and from), sandwiching the physical labor.

It usually means than when he gets home (shortly after I leave for work), he will have a meal which has often been the eggs, but then might have a glass of wine and cheese. When he wakes up, I've usually only been home a few minutes and try to put together something for us to eat. I usually only see him during this hour before he goes to work and I go to bed.

Not enough waking hours in the day to get him fed...

well it takes planning - i guess you will have to get a backpack - and all the food needs to be prepped beforehand. no wonder he's exhausted tho -

combine minimal calories in with maximal calories out, and um..he's on the Survivor tm diet.

i've usually made up all my food on the weekends in handy dandy little gladware containers. every morning, before heading out the door, i pack my cooler, and eat from it every 3 hours.

It is kinda worse than that...

Work: 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.

Bike Home (OHMYGOD, more physical activity!). - Home by 8:00ish

Sleep: 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (often later 'cuz he is exhausted and has been sleeping upwards of ten hours).

Leave for work at 9:00 (on his bike again...)

So he is biking 16 miles a day (8 miles to and from), sandwiching the physical labor.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

He should also have a complete physical, in case there is a medical reason contributing to his weight loss.

This is an excellent suggestion. This summer I was diagnosed with a form of overactive thyroid known as Grave's disease. The only good part of it is that I was losing weight and eating like a pig. The rest is not so good. It's easily treatable and now I'm back to my normal weight struggle. Given the alternative, this is a good trade-off.

This doesn't sound like your boyfriend's problem but a medial check is not a bad idea.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

He needs a camelback system to drink from on his bike ride. It could be filled with juice or some kind of protien shake or perhaps bacon grease. :wink:

Seriously though, the guy just needs to sit down and eat as much as possible whenever he has time for it. Is he hungry?

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Is he hungry?

Yeah, basically he is - but because of our work schedules, we find it terribly hard to even COOK. But I do agree with the need for a physical. There are some physical pains that concern me (what is when you get aching pains around your kidney area?).

There are a lot of things that need to be done to better the situation (driving is a good...) We are trying to move closer to my work so that I'm not commuting three- to four-hours a day (700 miles a week on my car!). That will give me more time at home to prepare meals for him - and all sorts of other things...

holy crap! a 3-4 hour commute?

i'd keel over and die.

kidney pains can be caused from anything from dehydration to full on renal failure. that's something to talk to a doctor about.

Edited by tryska (log)

holy crap! a 3-4 hour commute?

Yeah - it is kinda ironic because it is one reason we left Los Angeles for the wine country, but the winery I work at is about 60 miles away from where we live and I feel thrilled when I get to go over 40 mph... (we've been looking to move closer and hope to very, very shortly).

What are some of the best ways to put weight ON a person?

I would suggest force-feading him malted milkshakes as often as you can get them down him! I had a terrible bout of pneumonia many years ago and lost a ton of weight and nearly dies. I was given malteds probably 6 times a day. I had no idea malt contained so many calories!

Anyway -- it worked. I'm big as a house, now. (OK -- I am exagerating, but I am a pound or 20 overweight!)

OH -- peanut butter is high in protien and high in colories.

Good luck.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

just a thought--can he store things at work? case o beef jerky + vat o peanut butter, or protein shakes, case of clementines or whatever. even just powerbars--so he doesn't have to carry them every day (increasing the bicycle workout).

thermos of chili? or just chili, etc in the fridge.

a bladder of juice sounds like a good idea, though they're a pain to clean. about $20 for just the bladder.

soba--are you sure you want to lose pounds? you start working out, you may stay the same or gain but you'll look & feel better.

mb70, I was horrified that no one was mentioning the super amazing, always dependable, loves your tummy and soul, thermos! Sreiously, Carolin, buy two of them, and fill with chili, stews, potato, cheese, onion, ale soup, even pastas. How about carbonara in a thermos? I have put anythinb wetish and hot into my thermoses and eaten them at my outside-in-the-winter-jobs. Try to get thermoses which do not have the glass lining, or if you can't find one, make sure that the immediate lining is plastic or stainless.

And how about a variety of nuts and dried fruits too. They're pretty high in calories. Soy nuts are fulla protein too. Little foil wrapped 'cheeses' are good and don't have to be refrigerated usually.

Good luck.

Four meals a day at chain fast-food restaurants should do the trick.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)